Adopting A New Cat - Advice Please

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, so mods please move if appropriate.

We very recently lost Swanie, my heart kitty and soul mate. I miss him so much. But we still have Cricket, and I think she is lonely, and I think she would like to have someone to hang out with / play with, especially at night when she is most active. DH would like a cat also, who might be around during the day like Swanie was, because Cricket mostly sleeps during the day and tears around at night.

So, we are planning on adopting a cat, with the goal that the cat will get along with Cricket, and also hopefully with us. We would like to get a male cat, but what I'm wondering is what age would be most appropriate. Cricket is about 4.5 years old. She still tears around and likes to play, but not as active as when she was younger. Would it be better to get a cat closer to her age, or younger? And how much younger? I'm assuming older is probably not a good idea.

There are not a lot of male cats in the shelter right now that aren't kittens. We are looking at 3 who are still in the back going through the program - about 2 or more weeks away from being adoptable. One is about 3 1/2 (Micah), one is about 1 1/2 (Fozzy), and one is 7 months (Aaron). DH is leaning toward Aaron (because he's very active and perky). Fozzy seems very sweet and friendly. Micah is kind of shy but does come over and likes to be petted. They are all still in cages in the back, and Micah and Aaron are getting over URIs. We have no idea yet if they get along with other cats. Once they go through the program, get neutered, etc., they will move into the community rooms so we can get an idea of how they get along with other cats. We are on very good terms with this rescue (I volunteer there, Cricket came from there), so we've expressed our interest and also if any other cats come into the program that seem good candidates.

We almost adopted one (Austin), but he was being treated for a UTI. The Director told us that at least he didn't have crystals. He had his recheck Friday - if all was well, we were going to pick him up Saturday. Friday evening we got a text that they had found crystals in his urine and he would likely have to be on special food his entire life. That wouldn't bother me, except that Cricket is a grazer and I can't think of any way we could leave food down for her and have Austin not get into it. So we had to give up on him.

Cricket is a tortie, but she's very sweet and loving. She's not a cuddler, but loves being petted. She enjoyed hanging out with Swanie and they groomed each other, but Swanie wasn't up to playing. She did try to get some games going, but he just wasn't up to it. We did not have any issues introducing her to Swanie. Of course, it took a while for them to get to know each other, but there was no hissing or growling from either of them. Actually, the only growling was when Cricket would get the bird and go trotting past Swanie with it. She would give a low growl as if to say, my bird! I caught it! Swanie's reaction was whatever. So we are hopeful once she gets to know a new cat, they will be friends.

I would appreciate any advice on ages or anything else we should take into consideration. Thanks for reading this.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of Swanie. :alright: RIP sweetie. :angel:

About getting another cat. Have you introduced cats before? Cat introductions generally take a while, and the new cat should be kept in a separate room from the resident cat, and gradually let them become aware of each other.

Here are the TCS articles with more info. Let us know which cat you choose.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction (hopefully you won't need this one)
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat (in case you get a kitten)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If Austin's still there, would you consider a feeder that's coordinated with your resident cats' microchip, and opens only when she approaches?

I think your resident kitty is still at an age where she can better understand a kitten, as opposed to an older kitty sometimes being frightened by kittens. Plus she's a tortie and may have some of the infamous "attitude";)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of Swanie. :alright: RIP sweetie. :angel:

About getting another cat. Have you introduced cats before? Cat introductions generally take a while, and the new cat should be kept in a separate room from the resident cat, and gradually let them become aware of each other.

Here are the TCS articles with more info. Let us know which cat you choose.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction (hopefully you won't need this one)
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat (in case you get a kitten)
Thank you rubysmama rubysmama . Losing Swanie feels like a nightmare I can't wake up from. But I think Cricket needs a friend. And the house feels empty without Swanie's "presence."

Yes, I have introduced cats before, but thank you for the link. The problem I have is DH gets too anxious to let the new cat out of the bathroom. He thinks I'm crazy, so maybe if I show him those links, he will get a clue.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! If Austin's still there, would you consider a feeder that's coordinated with your resident cats' microchip, and opens only when she approaches?

I think your resident kitty is still at an age where she can better understand a kitten, as opposed to an older kitty sometimes being frightened by kittens. Plus she's a tortie and may have some of the infamous "attitude";)
Furballsmom Furballsmom , I know about the feeders, but we would rather not put restrictions on her with her food. Sometimes it's a challenge to get her to eat the wet food as it is. We liked Austin, but it wasn't like we were totally committed to him. He is beautiful and very sweet, and shouldn't have a problem finding someone to adopt him.

I am leaning more toward Micah, who is a little over 3 years old (Cricket is about 4 1/2). Don't misunderstand, I love Cricket to bits, but I think we made a mistake getting a cat so young (year and a half) for a friend for Swanie when Cindy passed. He needed someone to cuddle with (she doesn't) and she needed someone to play with (he didn't). So I was thinking, maybe one her age would work better. I'm not sure I want one as young as 7 months. Maybe Fozzie at a year and a half would be a good "compromise."

I think Cricket's tortitude comes out as demanding, Meow! Meow! Now! Now! I don't know how she would interact with a younger cat, but she got along really well with Swanie.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone is interested, here are the cats in question.

Cricket (our current cat)

Micah

Fozzy

Aaron

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This might sound odd and may not even be possible, but could you get something with each of the three possibles scents on it (keep them in a plastic baggie separate from each other) and just see how Cricket reacts? She may react strongly in a good or bad way to one or another of the scents. You could even take something with her scent in to see if any of the possibles reacts to it. Nothing may happen, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound odd and may not even be possible, but could you get something with each of the three possibles scents on it (keep them in a plastic baggie separate from each other) and just see how Cricket reacts? She may react strongly in a good or bad way to one or another of the scents. You could even take something with her scent in to see if any of the possibles reacts to it. Nothing may happen, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.
We absolutely could do that. We did it when we were getting ready to adopt Cricket, brought a towel she was sleeping on home for Swanie. He sniffied it, sniffed it, and then laid down on it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, one of the links on how to choose your second cat said that boys get along best with boys, and a younger female with a female might be a better choice. So we are now expanding our search to the girls in the rescue. I had previously heard that two female cats usually didn't get along - but maybe that was wrong.