Adopting a kitten or a bonded pair: questions

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments!

Well, you know once you start looking at diseases and parasites on the Internet, you pretty much end up thinking you're dying!

Once I saw this one, we went straight to the vet. I even showed him the pic (and the actual worm that I was carrying in a zip bag) and he gave them a deworming pill. She continued with diarrhea during the rest of the day, but she kept drinking and eating. I was afraid we're going to wake up to a terrible scenery today (a during the weekend she had a pretty bad night and there were poop stains everywhere), but everything was fine! They were both super hungry, and for now, there are no poop episodes to regret. I'll keep you posted.

I want to keep using this thread and honor the subforum (Cat Behavior) so here's another question: they play together a lot, and that's great. However, ever since day 1, it's almost 90% of the times Kylo who goes looking for her, and he's the one who's always on top. Coco starts meowing (like crying) almost every time when they're one minute onto it, and she barely defends herself. I rationalize it's because she's so weak from the beginning, but I don't know. It's true that when Kylo seems to start being bored, she starts trying to catch his tail or she pokes him, so I guess it's okay. Right? Am I to expect more fair fights when she gets better?
It sounds like two of my cats from the past about 20 years ago, Tiger and Milkshake. I got them at 10 weeks old and Tiger was like that. It did even out, Milkshake was never hurt in any way and they still snuggled together. I think she will learn as she gets bigger :agree:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hahaha Yeah, definitely, she seems like the kind of girl who will explain a couple of things to her brother so he starts behaving 😛

I know I’m over thinking it, but I can’t seem to find a satisfactory answer: if the eggs of these worms cannot be seen normally because of their size, how am I not supposed to panic on the idea that my house (floor, couch, chairs... everything!) is full of eggs of a worm that can infect humans?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know I’m over thinking it, but I can’t seem to find a satisfactory answer: if the eggs of these worms cannot be seen normally because of their size, how am I not supposed to panic on the idea that my house (floor, couch, chairs... everything!) is full of eggs of a worm that can infect humans?
That's very unlikely. You've only had the kittens for a short while. For them to have shed eggs all over your house you would have had to have had cats with a serious worm infestation for much longer than a few days.

I've taken in more than ten litters of feral kittens, as well as single kittens and older cats, over the years. They've always had worms but I've never had any problems with parasites myself. Wash your hands before eating and after handling the kittens or scooping the litter box. You'll be fine.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, we are really obsessed about this since we discovered that worm!

Well, on a quick update: they are doing fine,they now know and enjoy the rest of the house. They are starting to understand which areas are off limits (kitchen and the dining table, basically), but well, they struggle, they are just kittens after all.

20200812_211009903_iOS.jpg

I would say she feels better since yesterday in the afternoon, but poop seems to be the same. We'll see how it goes today.