Adopting 2nd cat: Adult vs. Kitten

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been in conversation with some breeders of birmans and ragdolls, seeking a retiree breeder adult cat, to keep my 3.5 yr. ragdoll company. 

Some have said it's very difficult to house an older cat with another adult, recommending a kitten instead.

What's your opinion on introducing an adult cat (i.e. 2 - 3 yrs. old) with my 3.5 yr. old ragdoll?  My ragdoll fits the ragdoll profile of being very affectionate and longing for company.  I was told at the time, my cat would do well with another cat when I was ready to adopt again.

I have no interest in a kitten at this point. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I absolutely believe adult cats can be integrated together. And, sometimes bringing an adult into the house can go more smoothly than bringing a kitten in (the kitten energy may be too much for the adult and some adult cats simply do not like kittens...)

Ultimately, you need to try to select a cat with a personality that will compliment your current cat. And, following proper introduction protocol is key. Many of us make the mistake of rushing the introductions. Moving too slow is always better than moving too fast.

Here is a good article on cat-to-cat introductions:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

With that said, I hope you are able to find a new furbaby to add to your family!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i completely agree with @CatPack   We integrated Henry at age 8 into our household with Lilith and Sophie age 2 and Bailey the dog, age 13. I did the introduction over a few weeks but once I allowed them to go into the room with him, they got along fine. Bailey was a little overly affectionate one day and after one too many wet kisses, she got hissed at but there was never any fighting or anything.  She backed off when she realized he had had enough. He figured out that her intentions were loving and became more tolerant of her affections. They are still pals. Lilith and Sophie aren't buddy buddy with him but they co-exist peacefully. Lilith will remind him here and there that she is alpha but he always gives her her way and she's happy with that. No one has ever hurt anyone. 

I would think that an adult cat would do better with another adult. Kittens are a handful. Not only for us but for adult cats who might not have the patience that a kitten requires. I'd personally go with an adult- fairly close in age if possible.