Adopted younger male cat who agressively bites my other cat on the back, neck, and thoat

KibaShadow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I recently adopted a younger male cat, Shadow, who is probably about a year old (the Humane Society wasn't quite sure). He and my other cat Kiba, 6yo male, get along most of the time and Kiba will even clean Shadow. But Shadow has the tendency to bite him, especially on the back, neck, and throat. I've come to the conclusion that this is dominance behavior, and that it's normal. However, Kiba meows in pain and runs off all the time. I keep feeling little spots under his fur, no blood, but possibly where Shadow has bitten him (mostly on the back and neck). I am wondering how I can stop the behavior? They've been introduced for several months now and I feel like separating them is no longer an option, Shadow tends to pee on the couch when we leave him in our spare room (his litter box is in there right next to the couch, so this is another behavioral issue he has).

Any advice?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm confused by what your feeling. You should part the fur with your fingers and see if you can see any wounds or get a better feel. Bites tend to get infected and produce a hard area of puss. Scratches generally feel like scratches.

Given that this is a one year old cat and they get along most of the time, I'm guessing there are no actual wounds. Bites are something that happen in play. They tend to be most common when one cat is either bigger, or more energetic, or the other just lays there and takes it. Mostly because in an active tussle its harder to get a good bite in. Its normal, and not dominance related -- although again, its more common when play is, for one reason or another, not equal.

In the wild, bites are the kill move, and basically all of the moves used in the wild (hunting, fighting and defense) are also found in play, from biting, to the go to defense of raking with the back paws while on the back, to stalking and pouncing.

In play, wounds are not left, but it can still be uncomfortable. Think of a head noogie. And the cat being play bit may make protest noises or briefly run away.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am simply going to second A ArtNJ 's advice. And do be sure to actually LOOK at those spots. I'm fairly certain that they are inadvertent, and not a real attempt to injure.

OH...and be sure to clean that couch with a good enzymatic cleaner. Even if you do not smell urine on it, unless you do this, HE can, and it will attract him back to the same spot.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH...and be sure to clean that couch with a good enzymatic cleaner. Even if you do not smell urine on it, unless you do this, HE can, and it will attract him back to the same spot.
We had a couch that I think we *did* use an enzyme cleaner, but not enough of it. It was totally fine. For like 9 months. Then when it got humid, we smelled our failure wafting off the couch. = Drench it!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is dominance and marking new territory. I take it they both are neutered? I have two half brothers that do this same thing, and they are almost ten years old. I am awakened at night with protests coming from the 6 month older cat being bit and have to pull him off and scold him. It seems he is 'driven' to do it. During the day I yell his name and say NO, and he stops and walks away, because he knows I will come and pull him off and scold him. I have never understood why the older brother does not fight back. When he isn't feeling well, or finally has enough he occasionally does hiss and slap back. Mama fights back when he tries on her, she has no problem repelling him. I, too, have never seen any wounds or blood, but hair can come out. It usually gets better as the younger cat gets older, especially the marking should quit as he gets completely comfortable. The only advise I have is to yell NO loudly and clap your hands. 'Mom' has to step in once in a while!