Adopted Two Yr Old Cat A Week Ago...still Fighting With Our Existing One Yr Old

AshleyQuick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The new cat (Poppy) is very docile but does NOT like our existing cat (Zinnia). Zinnia is just a bit over one year old and can be very sweet at times. Other times, she's still a bit feisty and will claw and play bite if you try to handle her when she's wound up.

Even when Poppy is scared or threatened by Zinnia, you can still handle her without clawing or biting.

My question is what do you recommend to finally get them acclimated to one another? Their limited interactions thus far are Zinnia circling Poppy, slowing approaching and pawing at her...meanwhile, Poppy remains stationary, hissing and borderline caterwauling. It's been a couple weeks and other than the handful of these aforementioned interactions, we rotate them upstairs and our finished downstairs (food/water/litter up and down).

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really doesn't seem like there are any major issues. This is all normal cat interaction. It can take a heck of a lot longer than a week. Hissing, growling and yeowling even are all how cats communicate. That is good they are doing this towards each other.

Are both parties eating, drinking, using the litterbox, not hiding under the bed (or wherever) for days at a time?

Then all is well.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having major issues with the feral cats while living with crazy woman. All but one are trusting of me and just this morning had to literally chase one off the property (she's been coming for months and it breaks my heart) as her being here prevented the one from eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AshleyQuick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's been THREE months and they still acts like they want to kill one another. When they are in the room together, they are separated almost immediately. We're considering just letting them try to work it out with supervision of course. I just don't want to give up! :(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Define "they act like they want to kill each other" more please. It was mentioned that the behavior described in the OP wasn't a great problem and they could work it out.

3 months is an excessive process absent severe problems. They can work out routine hissing and growling if given time together to do it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's been THREE months and they still acts like they want to kill one another. When they are in the room together, they are separated almost immediately. We're considering just letting them try to work it out with supervision of course. I just don't want to give up! :(
If there is no bloodshed I believe you are mistaking their "wanting to kill each other" because if they really did they would have at seriously injured each other by now.