Adopted cat still hiding after 2 months in new home

stars1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I've had my cat for 2 months now. He is at the point where he lets me pet him, but he still runs away from me often, and he spends mostly the entire day hidden either in his little cat house, or under the blankets on my bed. I initially set him up in my bedroom when I got him, and unfortunately he has never once ventured outside of my room. I leave the door open as much as I possibly can, and he never leaves. He just stays hidden all day. I'd really like for him to be happy and not hiding, and I'd also like to have his litterbox and toys outside of my bedroom. What can I do to help him from here? Thank you all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've had my cat for 2 months now. He is at the point where he lets me pet him, but he still runs away from me often, and he spends mostly the entire day hidden either in his little cat house, or under the blankets on my bed. I initially set him up in my bedroom when I got him, and unfortunately he has never once ventured outside of my room. I leave the door open as much as I possibly can, and he never leaves. He just stays hidden all day. I'd really like for him to be happy and not hiding, and I'd also like to have his litterbox and toys outside of my bedroom. What can I do to help him from here? Thank you all.
Hello S stars1 and feline friend! Many times we don't know a cat's prior history. There may be very good reasons why he is shy, but time, patience, love, respect and protection will undoubtedly win him over. Keep doing what you are doing. Have you tried playing with him with an interactive wand-and-lure toy such as da Bird or Cat Dancer? Those are irresistible to a lot of cats.
My Baby Su was born feral and rescued when she was found wandering on our land in the Mojave as a very small kitten. She grew up in a multicat family and enjoyed the run of the house there, and here; but over the years, she is the only one left from our large cat family and Elvis, who joined us at age 9 and has been with us for four years, is very territorial. So Baby Su stays mostly in our big master bedroom. I have a litterbox in there for her, and I feed them both in there, because that's where they like to eat now that we have (human) roomies. I have cat furniture, scratching aids, and toys in there for them. They have windows to look out and they are quite happy in there. Elvis ranges about the house, but when I try to entice Baby Su out, she goes right back to her room. So that is where she is happiest, and I don't try to change that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat, S stars1 . And do you know his history?

Is he the only pet? Are you the only human in the home?

Is he fed in the bedroom? If not, can you try slowing moving his dish towards the door, and eventually to the kitchen, or wherever you want to keep his dishes.

It's good that you're making slow progress, in that he lets you pet his now. Baby steps ...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting this boy. Some cats have had traumatic experiences in the past, others may have not been sufficiently socialized and others may have had a wonderful past life suddenly ripped away from then. In any case the world they are now living in is a scary place to them and while he may want human attention, he doesn’t quite fully trust it as well. It’s great that he finds your room his safe place and that he will even occasionally accept some petting from you. Two months may seem long to you but its really not. Some cats, like mine, took much much longer to get to where yours is at. And, while he may hide all day, I wouldnt be surprised if he is out exploring at night.

You might speed up his exploration by leaving some good things, like yummy treats and catnip toys just outside your door so you will know if he is indeed coming out and to get him to have some positive associations with your space. If he takes them then start moving them a little further into your living room area every night. I would also add a second litterbox in your hallway or start inching the bedroom one towards the door. You might also open your shades, blinds or curtains when you go to bed at night. Seeing the outdoors can be a big lure.

Lastly, have patience, he will adjust and start coming out during the day. It just needs to be at his own pace.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are naturally shy and prefer to hide and generally be left alone. There's nothing wrong with that but it is kind of disappointing to have a cat you don't see or interact with. Give your cat his space and maybe one day he'll start gaining some confidence and venture out from hiding, if only briefly.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two hid under the bed for the first 2-3 months they were with us. Now Whiskey sleeps on my lap at night and purrs up a storm, she loves to be pet. Scotchie is still a little skittish but doesn't hide much anymore either, and will sleep on our bed at night sometimes. He lets us pet him when he's relaxed only.

The key is structure and consistency. Use treats - leave a trail of them out of your bedroom each night with the door open. You may be surprised to find some or all of them eaten in the morning. Make sure he sees you feeding him breakfast and dinner each day - he will see you as his caretaker and will start to trust you more. When he's ready introduce play - laser pointers and wand toys - to help him gain confidence and burn off some anxiety. Music for cats during the day may help him relax too. And agree to adding a second litterbox and maybe a scratching post outside your door - it will help him leave his scent to 'mark' that as his territory - than nudge it further out each day.

If he lets you pet him already, that is a great sign. He'll settle in and explore at his own pace.