Adopted cat behaviour suddenly changed

JCR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted this beautiful cat in July this year, when I got him he was incredibly cuddly and loved pets. He slowly stopped sleeping on my lap and/or allowing me to pet him. He would still want to be around me and sometimes would jump up on the couch to cuddle my legs while I was watching tv. I went away for a few days and he went to stay at a friend’s house for the weekend. Where he would sit on the couch with him and slept on his bed the entire weekend. When he came home, he started spending extended periods under the bed but would still sleep on my bed. Now he will not sleep on the bed and only under it. I have tried coaxing him with treats but he will go straight back.
This is the first cat I have adopted as an adult and I am really concerned that is it something I am doing wrong, how can I try and modify this behaviour or am I over reacting and this is completely normal?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever there is a significant change in behavior and hiding behavior in an adult, it is always a good idea to get a vet check. It may be coincidental that this started after returning back home and you want to make sure he isn’t feeling sick. Assuming he gets an all clear from the vet, I would ignore the hiding. He may be feeling uncertain towards you because he was taken away (even if he ended up enjoying it) , it could be something like a new scent that is making him nervous, or it could be as simple as him finding that under the bed is a nice place to nap.

Coaxing a cat to sleep somewhere other than their chosen place is rarely successful but you can try offering him some treats while you lie in bed to see if that will encourage him to join you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree about the vet visit, just to be sure there is no health related issue going. How old is this cat? Aside from that, he could have been more cuddly with you initially because of being in an unfamiliar environment and he found security in being near you. As he gained confidence in being his new home, he didn't feel as insecure so he didn't need to cuddle as much. Probably a similar effect with him being taken to yet another new place with your friend and he felt insecure again.

Why he is spending so much time under the bed now that he is back home with you could just be the residual effect of the changes he has gone through in less than 6 months. Do you know his background? It might be that he was moved around before you adopted him and is thinking that might have started all over again.

Once you know there is no health issue, let him move at his own pace to get back to normal. Sitting on the floor by the bed, reading a book softly out loud just to let him see/feel you near him might help some. You could even try to take some blankets/towels and lay them near him under the bed to see if he would use them. If he does, you could then take one of them and place on top of your bed when you retire for the night, just to see if that might help him lay with you instead of under the bed. Don't force him to join you, just use the blanket/towel as an enticer.

I take it he is eating/drinking/using the litter box normally?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely change in behaviour should be a sign there is something wrong. This is how I knew my little George was sick. He wasn't doing his normal routine with me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been through an awful lot. It is always better to have the cat stay home and the friend visit to feed him. I think he has been stressed too much and is trying to adjust. He will come around in time, don't force the issue. The reason he was so cuddly in the beginning and at your friend's house is that he was so stressed and scared. As he became more confident in his surroundings he became more independent and relaxed. Then within months, he was moved again, causing more stress. He just needs assurance now that he has a permanent home and he will be fine. Cats come around quicker if they sense that the humans around them are not intent on their every whereabout and they become more relaxed when they are the ones that are allowed to make the first move.