Adopted cat and he has a UTI

Juliejewels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My 18 year old crossed the bridge last month.
I adopted a very sweet 3 year old only two days ago /Sunday. I noticed right away issues with peeing that indicated UTI. The next morning I brought him to humane society where I got him ( he was off site in a pet store) and explained and their vet examined him and gave me antibiotics to administer for 14 days.

Well it got worse and I feared a block and I took him to the ER in the middle of the night last night . They did a quick courtesy check, felt he wasn’t blocked and said to continue meds. I’ve only had the cat 36 hours at this point, I was scared, mad, worried about a huge bill for a cat I literally just got.

Today, he’s back at the humane society vet today. They made me surrender him so they could evaluate and treat and offered me a refund It’s not that simple. I really wanted to keep him.
They said they would call me with info. Is this a path I want to go down? Or shoukd I look for another feline family member?

Both my previous cats struggled with crystals (Ms. Coco Chanel) and a block (Mr. Sweet face- who just passed). They were treated and never had another occurrence.

Thoughts ?
I’m grieving and simply wanted to open my heart and home to another baby. This is hard. I’m emotional. Pics in post are of Little Jack.

Thanks for any advice
JJ

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you sign a contract with the Humane Society when adopting him? Most shelters/rescues have a policy regarding any adopted animal that becomes sick within X number of days after the adoption process and what they are willing to do in those circumstances.
That being said, what does your heart tell you? You could always ask to keep him and see if the Humane Society will cover all/half/part of the emergency room bill, or continue assistance with medication until he's completely cleared up.
I've been with a local Humane Society for over 10 years. Believe me when I say that we don't want animals to come back (if they're in loving homes). Shelters SHOULD be helping animals to stay in those loving homes and maybe that'll make them want to work with you on this whole situation.
Keep us posted on what happens! Good luck! We're here for you!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Jack looks like such a sweetheart! I would say from reading your post, you want to keep him. You're ahead of the game, in that he is young, and is being looked after and treated, and you know how to handle crystals, based on past experience. I hope he can come home to you very, very soon.

I am so sorry for the loss of your 18yo. If you would like, you can pay tribute to him/her in our Crossing The Bridge Section of this site - when you are ready.

And, please keep us posted on Jack!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can develop a UTI just from stress and change of environment and hang on to their urine and not go pee when they need to, so the after treatment the sooner he gets relaxed and settled he might not ever again have the ITU.
Keep us informed how you go with Jack...hoping all goes well and you get him home soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juliejewels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all 😻😻😻

The Pet Alliance (formerly SPCA) took him back in at their vet. I had to sign him over as a surrender so they could treat and not charge me. They did not catheter him, but did more blood work and X-rays and giving his meds. I will know more tomorrow. He will be there a day or two pending results. I don’t want to bring him home until he has a regular pee, but I also know home is less stressful ( he made himself very at home here from the moment he arrived... no fear 😹)

They promised to not list him for adoption...they know I want to be his mama.

He has been through a lot. His family surrendered him on 1/7/21, he was poked and prodded and put out for adoption, then transferred to the pet store for adoption, then home to me... and all he has been through with me in 36 hours. Very stressful And prob a bad low quality diet.

I know all of you understand the heart and soul connection when you find YOUR fur baby. I do think he’s my little baby and I’ve been visiting shelters and the Cat Cafe for the last week interacting with cats. He just spoke to my heart the way all my other special cats have. You just KNOW.

I appreciate all of you🙏🏻❤
I’ll update later But hope he can come to his forever home with me.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
After you get him home - no offense to Pet Alliance - get him checked out by your own vet, just to be sure everything is good!
That might already be in the contract. In the one at the shelter I volunteer for, we require new pet parents to schedule an appointment within 3 days of the adoption (the actual appointment doesn't have to be within 3 days, but we want people to call a vet within 3 days) to have them checked out. That way, if there is anything the shelter vets miss, then the shelter can provide low/no cost meds and provide extra treatment at low/no cost.

Juliejewels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That might already be in the contract. In the one at the shelter I volunteer for, we require new pet parents to schedule an appointment within 3 days of the adoption (the actual appointment doesn't have to be within 3 days, but we want people to call a vet within 3 days) to have them checked out. That way, if there is anything the shelter vets miss, then the shelter can provide low/no cost meds and provide extra treatment at low/no cost.
Good idea! I will call my vet tomorrow. 🙏🏻❤

Juliejewels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE🐈
Little Jack is home 🙌🏻
He will finish 14 days of antibiotic. Pet Alliance gave him X-rays, bloodwork, ultrasound and he is clear, no blocks or stones. He is still peeing dime sized amounts, but hopefully that will improve with proper food, hydration and the meds. I will follow up with my vet in two weeks.

I found I can pill him by using a smooshed up pill pocket and having some fresh tuna juice. That way he doesn’t hate me.
He is purring, rubbing all over me, in my lap.SUPER affectionate and happy to be in his forever home ❤❤❤❤❤

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Great news!!! I am so happy Jack is home with you! That follow up with your vet is very important, just to make sure things are 'on track'. If he continues with the dime sized pee amounts, I wouldn't hesitate to take him to your vet earlier than two weeks. Did Pet Alliance mention anything about any inflammation (should have been seen on the ultrasound, I think)? It could be that he has inflammation which might need some treatment other than just the antibiotics.

So glad you will be keeping Jack!!!!

Juliejewels

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jack is doing great. I’ve changed the pilling strategy. Now it’s ground into a tablespoon of food. He’s catching on to all my tricks. He’s doing MUCH better, so grateful 🙏🏻❤😻 he’s very happy here
701466E5-286A-4AC7-B5FC-AEE72F0DBF2E.jpeg
77F1FE99-82F9-4ECE-A2A8-1778EBB4E943.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad to hear Jack is doing well!! Not only is he adorable in those pics, but he also looks very content!

If he catches on to the meds being crushed into a spoonful of his food - you can also try getting the lickable treats and use those for his meds instead. Feeby has yet to turn down her meds this way. I get her Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Wholehearted, Vitkraft, and Applaws. There are others on the market as well. They are all perfect size to split in half to cover two doses of meds.

I have also used baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), and even canned tuna or chicken in water. I would mix her meds in some of the 'juice' from the can and then give her a bite of the tuna or chicken as a treat afterward.