Adopted an adult stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just had an incident between Midnight and Clare (his daughter). She ran over to him and he sort of growled. It did no dissuade her and she got in his face. He sniffed her and groomed her a bit, the suddenly she reared back, hissed and spit on him! My wife immediately put her back in the pen.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the 3-week-olds? Hehe, I love it when they do miniature big-kitty things, so cute! It's pretty normal; just the little ones learning to socialize. If he didn't react violently everything is fine.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! Thanks, W Willowy - they are 4 week olds tomorrow! I wonder why she reacted like that?
Because Kittens are dumb.

No, really. They're just like human kids, they do all kinds of really dumb things for no apparent reason and leave you scratching your head and wondering what the hell just happened.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight has been a present father and we think he is enjoying it. He likes to teach his offspring things. However while playing with a kitten yesterday - he had her close with his front paws and starting bunny kicking like he does when he has a catnip toy. We stopped him immediately and the kitten moved on to other things unharmed. I've read that this is acceptable play but it concerned us because he may not know his own strength. Thoughts?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midnight has been a present father and we think he is enjoying it. He likes to teach his offspring things. However while playing with a kitten yesterday - he had her close with his front paws and starting bunny kicking like he does when he has a catnip toy. We stopped him immediately and the kitten moved on to other things unharmed. I've read that this is acceptable play but it concerned us because he may not know his own strength. Thoughts?
That sounds like normal play, but was the Kitten squealing and trying to get away, and does she act afraid of him now? If not there's no problem.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That particular kitten is not afraid of Midnight. However there was another event today when I wasn't home. My wife was distracted by work call when she heard a kitten scream. By the time she turned around Pumpkin was hissing at and fighting Midnight off. The kitten ran to safety and there was no damage.

When I got home, Pumpkin was snuggled up against Midnight. I thought it might be his frustration on being kept indoors and maybe he blamed the kittens? Or if he just wanted some attention because every moment is devoted to Pumpkin & the kittens. Everything seems fine now but I don't intend to leave them unsupervised.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That particular kitten is not afraid of Midnight. However there was another event today when I wasn't home. My wife was distracted by work call when she heard a kitten scream. By the time she turned around Pumpkin was hissing at and fighting Midnight off. The kitten ran to safety and there was no damage.

When I got home, Pumpkin was snuggled up against Midnight. I thought it might be his frustration on being kept indoors and maybe he blamed the kittens? Or if he just wanted some attention because every moment is devoted to Pumpkin & the kittens. Everything seems fine now but I don't intend to leave them unsupervised.
More likely they were playing and he just got a little too rough, if he didn't chase after the Kitten and he didn't attack Pumpkin he wasn't intending to cause harm.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the problem was the Midnight was sick. He had an infection. He was super aggressive toward the kittens and Pumpkin yesterday morning and that behavior is so uncharacteristic that we suspected he was ill and made a vet appointment immediately. They gave him antibiotics and he hasn't forgiven me yet, but he is feeling better.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi strider rose strider rose - hope you're well! Both Pumpkin and Midnight are little furry mysteries and the kittens are adorable but exhausting. Today is Pumpkin's final dose of liquid antibiotic and we're both thankful for that. I've been giving her shrimp afterward as a reward. She's pretty stressed by the kittens exploring all of downstairs because she can't keep them all in her sight. Midnight has been helping with that as well as preventing them from climbing our stairs.

Midnight has also been trying to mount Pumpkin the past few days. He's neutered now but it is still unwanted behavior. I've been playing with him lots and the kittens keep him occupied, but we can't be awake 24/7. Pumpkin's appointment is in 2 weeks, but she doesn't seem to be slowing down the nursing so we're a little concerned. The kittens are on kibble soaked in water, and should be totally on hard kibble next week. They're 6 weeks old.

Thank you for the kind words about their names. My wife chose them.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tanguy had a rough week. He got stung on the mouth by a wasp and he had to go to the vet. He had never been before and was freaked out. We learned during the visit that they were so busy they were seeing us in the euthanasia room! So yeah he was freaked out! He got treated (and carried around like a baby by all the staff when they learned he liked that) but when we went home, his best friend & sister Peanut Butter Cup hissed at him and attacked him! He kept trying to play with her but she was very defensive and it looked like it broke his heart! We re-integrated everyone's scent and they have since made up, but it was very traumatic for him (and us). He went to his daddy for comfort and Midnight welcomed him.

I watched them lay together like this for several moments, until I saw Tanguy stir, then I reached down to pet him - but Midnight stretched out his back paw, stopped my hand, and gently pushed it away - without moving his head from Tanguy's. It was so sweet and thoughtful - he genuinely told me not to interrupt his time with his son. He really is a remarkable creature.

260518829_10158264130242826_5490096471003205212_n.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanguy had a rough week. He got stung on the mouth by a wasp and he had to go to the vet. He had never been before and was freaked out. We learned during the visit that they were so busy they were seeing us in the euthanasia room! So yeah he was freaked out! He got treated (and carried around like a baby by all the staff when they learned he liked that) but when we went home, his best friend & sister Peanut Butter Cup hissed at him and attacked him! He kept trying to play with her but she was very defensive and it looked like it broke his heart! We re-integrated everyone's scent and they have since made up, but it was very traumatic for him (and us). He went to his daddy for comfort and Midnight welcomed him.

I watched them lay together like this for several moments, until I saw Tanguy stir, then I reached down to pet him - but Midnight stretched out his back paw, stopped my hand, and gently pushed it away - without moving his head from Tanguy's. It was so sweet and thoughtful - he genuinely told me not to interrupt his time with his son. He really is a remarkable creature.

View attachment 402427
RE: The mounting behavior: Elvis was always trying to mount our beloved angel Tarifa even though both were/are fixed. Ditto with our angels Nila and Maya, who were brother and sister. I called our vet about this and he laughed and said something along the lines of, "Let him have his fun." I was not happy about this comment, but he was "shooting blanks" as was Elvis, so even though it annoyed Tarifa and Maya, no real harm was done. As long as the neuter operation gets everything, so to speak, all is well, especially if females are spayed! Sometimes it takes awhile for the testosterone to lessen. Sometimes, I guess it's just a lifelong behavior, as in Nila and Elvis.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am writing now for some advice. My wife is working out of the country for two months. I suspect that the kitties will be confused by her absence. That was going to be hard - BUT I have also been offered work out of town for several weeks that I must accept.

We have found a person who will housesit and take care of the cats (she has had cats all her life). They have met her and like her - and she loves them. My question:

If I am able to come home on the weekends, should I? Will it confuse the cats even further that I return for 2 days then leave again for 5? I work freelance and frequently leave for a week and return - but my wife has always been home with them.

I don't want to establish a situation where they never know when we will leave and return - I think that will be bad for everyone. Do you think they will adjust - so long is there is someone they like providing meals and attention on their schedule?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am writing now for some advice. My wife is working out of the country for two months. I suspect that the kitties will be confused by her absence. That was going to be hard - BUT I have also been offered work out of town for several weeks that I must accept.

We have found a person who will housesit and take care of the cats (she has had cats all her life). They have met her and like her - and she loves them. My question:

If I am able to come home on the weekends, should I? Will it confuse the cats even further that I return for 2 days then leave again for 5? I work freelance and frequently leave for a week and return - but my wife has always been home with them.

I don't want to establish a situation where they never know when we will leave and return - I think that will be bad for everyone. Do you think they will adjust - so long is there is someone they like providing meals and attention on their schedule?
Cats, like people, are unique individuals and there's no monolithic answer to your query, but personally, I would return to them at every opportunity. I appreciate your concern for them! and I would have it, too. Fortunately I do not have to leave mine and I won't. It sounds like you have a very good cat-sitter -- I, too, have lived with cats all my life and to me, it's very important to have that deep bond. IDK how long you and your cats have been together, but if it has been some time, they know and love you, and they know your scent, the sound of your voice, your touch, etc. so they may very much appreciate the weekly reunions.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Several weeks is nothing compared to the rest of their life. They may be confused at first. But they’ll adapt. That’s what cats do. It will be easier on them though if they keep seeing you whenever that may be than if you have to restart with them in several weeks.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin has begun running from - and hiding from me. I initially thought that it was punishment for my going away for five days but now I'm not so sure. My wife and I gave all five of the cats their Revolution flea treatment yesterday. I gave them treats to occupy them while I held them as my wife applied the gel to their skin. Since, Pumpkin has been hiding from me. This morning I thought she was over it, but when I took out the treat bag to give her (and everyone) a treat, she bolted from the room to hide under a chair downstairs. She remained there until lunch, then immediately afterward RAN back to her hiding place. It is disturbing and concerning. The flea treatment isn't painful. I didn't hold her tightly and she didn't struggle to escape.

She has been having trouble breathing the past few months. We visited the vet, who suspects allergies or asthma and prescribed steroids. Pumpkin is still eating, eliminating, and playing (when I'm not around). I am worried that she is hiding because she feels ill. She knows that we take her to the vet when she isn't feeling well. My wife leaves tomorrow for two months - and I leave this weekend for two weeks (work). We have a competent cat-sitter/house-sitter, but I fear this will further stress them all out.

I'm a wreck. I'm sorry. I'm a nervous parent but these cats are our children. My wife is terribly upset for having to leave them. I suspect they are sensing that as well.