Adopted an adult stray

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is super nice - and inspirational! I bet they LOVE it!
They did, very much. In fact, the flaps were open all the time except in extreme rain/snow or sandstorms, and they could come and go as they wished, all day/night long. They had a feeding station out there with fresh water and food, a litterbox, and all kinds of climbing, perching, scratching, playing and relaxing places. We were there just shy of 3 years. It was a Paradise for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since Pumpkin gave birth last Tuesday, Midnight has no interest in staying in the house longer than necessary, which means when he has eaten his fill. He used to love to lounge around all day. I get that he is jealous or whatnot, but do you think that his desire to remain will return once the kittens are re-homed? What if we keep one of them?

We have an appointment to get him neutered and vaccinated in two weeks, which means we intend on keeping him as an indoor cat, but if he isn't interested in being here, we don't want to torture him by trapping him. Thoughts?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Pumpkin gave birth last Tuesday, Midnight has no interest in staying in the house longer than necessary, which means when he has eaten his fill. He used to love to lounge around all day. I get that he is jealous or whatnot, but do you think that his desire to remain will return once the kittens are re-homed? What if we keep one of them?

We have an appointment to get him neutered and vaccinated in two weeks, which means we intend on keeping him as an indoor cat, but if he isn't interested in being here, we don't want to torture him by trapping him. Thoughts?
Kittens are adorable. But they can also be annoying and loud and constantly meowing. Maybe Midnight just isn't happy about this change. Maybe given some more time to adapt to it, he might warm up to them.

Getting him neutered will certainly change his personality for the better. Not being driven by hormones, he'll likely become much more the homebody than he is now. After you have him neutered, I would keep him inside for at least long enough to heal. But give it a month or two for his hormones to wash out. I'm sure he'll mellow out and be grateful in his own way not having to be a street cat anymore. Cat behavior doesn't change overnight. Given time and patience (and a reduction of hormones!), I'm sure he'll come around.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe we should roll the dice and wait until after the kittens are re-homed to take Midnight in permanently. Dr Wifey is afraid that he will try to kill the kittens.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we should roll the dice and wait until after the kittens are re-homed to take Midnight in permanently. Dr Wifey is afraid that he will try to kill the kittens.
She's got a point there, if he's very feral and if he's wanting to mate. So yes, keep the kittens safe. Of course, kittens that young aren't going anywhere so it would be very easy to keep them in their own room with mom and take Midnight in with the rest of the space being accessible to him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Absolutely get him neutered at some point. I agree that keeping the kittens safe is not hard in your situation so I would proceed with the original plan.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. However it raises another question for me: Is it wise to move the kittens and Pumpkin to another room after Pumpkin has taken to the parlor? The kittens won't know nor care, but I don't want it to confuse or upset Pumpkin if all of a sudden they are somewhere she didn't choose. All of this is brand new to me and I'm operating 50% on advice from friends and the other 50% on common sense and compassion.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had to raise a litter of kittens myself, so I am not the best person for those kinds of questions. You can post specific kitten questions in that forum and members like Sarthur2 Sarthur2 will know the answer.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. However it raises another question for me: Is it wise to move the kittens and Pumpkin to another room after Pumpkin has taken to the parlor? The kittens won't know nor care, but I don't want it to confuse or upset Pumpkin if all of a sudden they are somewhere she didn't choose. All of this is brand new to me and I'm operating 50% on advice from friends and the other 50% on common sense and compassion.
What is the reason to think of moving them? I would not, if at all possible.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi there, I’ve just read this thread. I would move Pumpkin and her babies into their own room for now, and keep Midnight inside until he is neutered.

Midnight is “put out” that there are new kittens in “his” home, and he’s letting you know that he’s not happy about it by refusing to stay inside, which, as you’ve said, presents dangers. Intact males tend to roam, and it will still take a couple months for his testosterone to diminish after his neuter. You’ll find that he’s much more settled and happy after his hormones settle down. He certainly sounds like a smart cat who wears his feelings on his shoulders for all to see.

I’ll pop over to Pumpkin’s thread as well, but new moms and kittens need privacy, and the babies do not need to be in the parlor. Pumpkin can be let out of the room for breaks, but put her food, water, and litter in the room with her for now. :lovecat2:

Last edited:

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sarthur! You don't think Pumpkin will be confused by moving her and the kittens to a room she hasn't chosen herself? I feel like she might freak out if I pick up her birthing box and walk away with it. While she and I are close, we don't communicate as clearly as I do with Midnight.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sarthur! You don't think Pumpkin will be confused by moving her and the kittens to a room she hasn't chosen herself? I feel like she might freak out if I pick up her birthing box and walk away with it. While she and I are close, we don't communicate as clearly as I do with Midnight.
I agree with you, anticus anticus , which is why I put it out there as to any reason for moving them. Mothers are very adamant about choosing places they feel are safe for their kittens. I would not interfere with this unless it was absolutely necessary for their wellbeing.

anticus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think moving them is necessary for their well-being. I think I can create a dedicated area in the parlor for them to play in and explore that will give them the stimulation they need and the safety they require. I am listening to and respecting every piece of advice - I am so grateful for everyone's contributions - all ya'll's experience is invaluable. But ultimately we see the big picture, that I can't adequately communicate on a forum, and we will make the decision that we feel will be best for all.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think moving them is necessary for their well-being. I think I can create a dedicated area in the parlor for them to play in and explore that will give them the stimulation they need and the safety they require. I am listening to and respecting every piece of advice - I am so grateful for everyone's contributions - all ya'll's experience is invaluable. But ultimately we see the big picture, that I can't adequately communicate on a forum, and we will make the decision that we feel will be best for all.

As long as any decisions made are first and foremost, and completely about the wellbeing of the cats, you will be right, anticus anticus . We're all here to support, help, and just put our 2c worth in, whenever.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is to become of Midnight now? Is he still hanging around/coming in such that you are able to get him to his neuter appointment in two weeks? Or are you keeping him in as advised?