Adopted adult semi feral

Yankeern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted semi feral cat. I have owned cats all my life and this is new to me. 4 days in, he has been fully vetted and they wanted to barn him. He eats, uses litter box, and occ.lets me pet him through bars on crate. Is very frightened, hisses alot and swipes with his paws. I have a 20 yo domesticated cat who can get near crate without a problem. I do believe there is hope for this fur baby, but need some help with direction. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
One thing could be to sit on the floor, to be more at his level of things. Try reading to him now and then, pleasant poetry or something like that.

Mostly, he needs time (and love) in order to wrap his mind around this new normal.

Your resident cat sounds wonderful :)!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up! I have brought in ferals of all ages and states of anxiety. The fact that your other cat is interested is a big plus for you. I’ve had more than one cat who learned to trust me more quickly by watching another cat here.
I’m in the middle of doing tax work but I wanted to respond now. Start by just being near. Don’t look directly into cats eyes. Anytime you enter the room where kitty is, let him know first by announcing your are coming. Hey kitty. Softly but calmly. Sitting or laying on the floor near kitty and letting him just watch you. When you want to start touching, giving small food treats through the cage first so kitty sees that your hands are not a threat. Use a toy cat wand or maybe hairbrush to let cat get used to being touched. Putting a shirt with your scent on it where kitty can lay on it. You need to follow the indications of the cat since every cat adjusts at their own pace. If touching with a wand is accepted or giving treats, continue until cat is fully comfortable with that. Then go a step further. It takes time so just be patient. Some kitties adjust more quickly than others but we cannot predict. My BJ was inside in a room without cat company for a few weeks. Once in the main room ( in a large cage) he began to adjust quickly. Another cat would butt up against the crate. I went from just changing food, water and box to touching, then allowing kitty just outside cage door but blocked from running and hiding, to being petted, then sitting beside me, sitting on my foot and then being lightly lifted by me. He decided to sit in my lap and then head butted me. From there he got to walk away from the cage door a little bit each day and then returning to settle back for the night and finally being allowed freedom in the house.
I’m sorry to answer so hurriedly but I’ll return. There are many people here who have rescued kitties too and I’m sure they will be adding other tips for you. Thank you for rescuing this kitty from a hard life! I know you may have questions but this is definitely a cat than can be worked with! :clap2:

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, everything Jcatbird Jcatbird and Furballsmom Furballsmom said! This is my favorite guide, which is basically a detailed version of Jcatbird's steps: How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

Baby food is super helpful for food motivated cats. Also, most guides recommend getting the cat used to you before introducing it to other cats, but if they really like other cats like yours seems to, you can bend that rule and use that to your advantage. You'll know this cat better than anyone soon so you'll get a feel for how ready they are for something, although there will be those two steps forward/one step back days, and that's normal.

So glad you got that first vet visit out of the way. That's often the hardest part, but it's good to get that done in the beginning so you don't have to interrupt the trust building process with a betrayal like the vet. Good luck!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have two semi ferals in my house right now; Alice who is my avatar and her sister Elise who looks just like her. Both have pet potential and so hubby and I am working with them. Alice is less happy, but Elise has already figured out that it does not rain in the house, that the heating vent she is sleeping under is better than the bed in the garage, and that the place is like a cafeteria.

Semi ferals often do get the lay of the land and adjust quickly, but if not, just give it a lot of time. If you can do what Jcatbird Jcatbird says and provide a quite room, that is a huge help. I have done that with almost all semi ferals I have brought into the house, these last two being the exception because they have been around my property for so long, TNRed previously.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yankeern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don’t give up! I have brought in ferals of all ages and states of anxiety. The fact that your other cat is interested is a big plus for you. I’ve had more than one cat who learned to trust me more quickly by watching another cat here.
I’m in the middle of doing tax work but I wanted to respond now. Start by just being near. Don’t look directly into cats eyes. Anytime you enter the room where kitty is, let him know first by announcing your are coming. Hey kitty. Softly but calmly. Sitting or laying on the floor near kitty and letting him just watch you. When you want to start touching, giving small food treats through the cage first so kitty sees that your hands are not a threat. Use a toy cat wand or maybe hairbrush to let cat get used to being touched. Putting a shirt with your scent on it where kitty can lay on it. You need to follow the indications of the cat since every cat adjusts at their own pace. If touching with a wand is accepted or giving treats, continue until cat is fully comfortable with that. Then go a step further. It takes time so just be patient. Some kitties adjust more quickly than others but we cannot predict. My BJ was inside in a room without cat company for a few weeks. Once in the main room ( in a large cage) he began to adjust quickly. Another cat would butt up against the crate. I went from just changing food, water and box to touching, then allowing kitty just outside cage door but blocked from running and hiding, to being petted, then sitting beside me, sitting on my foot and then being lightly lifted by me. He decided to sit in my lap and then head butted me. From there he got to walk away from the cage door a little bit each day and then returning to settle back for the night and finally being allowed freedom in the house.
I’m sorry to answer so hurriedly but I’ll return. There are many people here who have rescued kitties too and I’m sure they will be adding other tips for you. Thank you for rescuing this kitty from a hard life! I know you may have questions but this is definitely a cat than can be worked with! :clap2:
Tyvm!

Yankeern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, everything Jcatbird Jcatbird and Furballsmom Furballsmom said! This is my favorite guide, which is basically a detailed version of Jcatbird's steps: How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats

Baby food is super helpful for food motivated cats. Also, most guides recommend getting the cat used to you before introducing it to other cats, but if they really like other cats like yours seems to, you can bend that rule and use that to your advantage. You'll know this cat better than anyone soon so you'll get a feel for how ready they are for something, although there will be those two steps forward/one step back days, and that's normal.

So glad you got that first vet visit out of the way. That's often the hardest part, but it's good to get that done in the beginning so you don't have to interrupt the trust building process with a betrayal like the vet. Good luck!!!
Tyvm!

Yankeern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, how are things going there?
Simba is iut of the crate and has taken up residence in the basement which is fully finished. He has toys, scratch posts, litter box, food and water. He sleeps on the futon, and comes up to tiptoe around at night. Not very social, but I imagine it's going to take time. I spend time down there talking to him and singing. He coos and meows, but hides under the stairs when I come around. I think this has been his routine while on the outside. Sleep all day, hunt at nite. He's such a cutie!!!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Waffles as a semi-feral in 2016- all of the above is advice I used, plus when he got to the point that he would approach me I laid on the floor and put food some distance away, as far as needed that he would approach. I started feeding him at intervals instead of food out all the time to give some more motivation to approach. I moved the bowl closer and closer to me, eventually I could put it on my legs and he would eat. Then I started this with me sitting up.
I also would hand feed him treats when he was okay with that (treats, food whatever.)
It was 2 full months before he would jump on my lap (and then only for 2 seconds) but with visiting him, talking to him, seeing if he would play with a tossed ball or a wand toy and all of the above it progressed.
Just have to watch his signals and go at his speed which may be very slow.
It helped having him in my bedroom so at night when I was asleep he could check me out.
He's a very affectionate lap cat now (not all cats are this much of a lap cat), I still can't walk up to him and pick him up, but that's not necessary.
I found it very important to not look directly at him, if I did and he was approaching me he'd run back.
Keep posting with progress and questions!

Yankeern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Waffles as a semi-feral in 2016- all of the above is advice I used, plus when he got to the point that he would approach me I laid on the floor and put food some distance away, as far as needed that he would approach. I started feeding him at intervals instead of food out all the time to give some more motivation to approach. I moved the bowl closer and closer to me, eventually I could put it on my legs and he would eat. Then I started this with me sitting up.
I also would hand feed him treats when he was okay with that (treats, food whatever.)
It was 2 full months before he would jump on my lap (and then only for 2 seconds) but with visiting him, talking to him, seeing if he would play with a tossed ball or a wand toy and all of the above it progressed.
Just have to watch his signals and go at his speed which may be very slow.
It helped having him in my bedroom so at night when I was asleep he could check me out.
He's a very affectionate lap cat now (not all cats are this much of a lap cat), I still can't walk up to him and pick him up, but that's not necessary.
I found it very important to not look directly at him, if I did and he was approaching me he'd run back.
Keep posting with progress and questions!
Simba is out of the crate and likes to hide in the basement which is fully done. He jas his futon, toys, scratch posts, water and dry food. He comes up like a thief in the night for wet food. I have to ly on the couch or he won't come up. He is still fearful, but coos and meows. I mke frequent visits to the basement which is also my craft room, continuously talking to him. It's gonna be a long road, but we'll travel it together, one step at a time.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Simba is out of the crate and likes to hide in the basement which is fully done. He jas his futon, toys, scratch posts, water and dry food. He comes up like a thief in the night for wet food. I have to ly on the couch or he won't come up. He is still fearful, but coos and meows. I mke frequent visits to the basement which is also my craft room, continuously talking to him. It's gonna be a long road, but we'll travel it together, one step at a time.
Aww that sounds so cool. It is soooo rewarding when cats like this take even tiny steps. Waffles and I did it, and so will you!