Adopted Abandoned 4 Week Old Kitten. Am I Missing Anything In How I'm Caring For It?

Josh17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week I adopted, what I suspect was, a four week old kitten. My sister found it crying on their property in the country, watched it to see if the mother returned, and the mother did not return after 12 hours. We took it in to temporarily care for it until we figured out what to do with it. We found out that shelters won't take kittens under eight weeks old. A few days after we brought it in, the mother reappeared with another kitten and settled down in an abandoned shed. We thought about returning the kitten to the mother at that point, but the mother is feral, and we knew that most feral kittens don't live much longer than a couple years. We had already bonded with the kitten and vice versa, so we decided to simply keep it.

This is my first kitten, so I'm a little anxious about ensuring I'm doing all that I need to do to care for it. The kitten has been seen by a vet after I was concerned that it hadn't pooped in 48 hours. It got a clear bill of health from the vet, and has since turned into a pooping machine. It immediately learned how to use the litter box, and we haven't had a single accident outside of it. That's given a room relocation as well. We initially started it on KMR formula via a kitten bottle. It didn't seem to be able to figure out how to feed via bottle despite all of our efforts and researching. We switched then to a gruel of KMR and soft food for kittens, which he is still being fed and we occasionally add broken up bits of kitten kibble to get him accustomed to the different flavors and textures. He's currently living in our bedroom, where he has a crate with a very soft bed, towel, and an electric bed-warmer that keeps the bed to about 103*F. He also has a wide assortment of toys to play with or snuggle with. We've also been able to easily trim his nails with a regular nail clipper after ensuring he was drowsy. He was 14.7 ounces when we got him on the 8th, 16.4 ounces on the 11th, 18.3 ounces on the 15th, and 19.6 ounces on the 18th.

I have some concerns for the future, though. He has had all of 5 minutes of interaction with another cat (not our own) since we got him. Emotionally, he seems to have adjusted well to leaving his mother. I've read, though, that it's important not to separate a mother and kitten until between 8 and 12 weeks old. Typically, that seems be in cases of domesticated cats instead of feral, so I'm under the impression that we adopted this kitten at the right time, but I'm concerned about how he's supposed to learn all of the things that kittens learn from their mother and their littermates between 4 and 12 weeks of age. For example:
  1. He doesn't understand how to drink water
  2. He doesn't understand how to eat kitten kibble (is he too young for this?)
  3. He attempts to slurp up the soft cat food/gruel instead of lapping it up or taking bites
  4. He doesn't know his own strength with biting and clawing our arms, legs, and face
  5. I'm also concerned about any attachment or social isolation issues that may come up from not having another kitten to play with

Other concerns I have are

6. He makes a tremendous mess of himself whenever he eats. He sticks his paws in the bowl, gets a massive gruel goatee, and gets gruel in the sides of his head. I'm assuming this is usual for kittens this young. Do they naturally grow out of this tendency? Do they naturally learn how to clean themselves and avoid being messy? Or do they learn this from their mother? Is there anything I can do to foster a sense in him of not wanting to get covered in gruel?
  7. He's kept us up at night several days this week by simply being nocturnal and climbing into bed with us to play or sleep. The nocturnal problem is slowly being addressed by playing with him more, providing him with plenty of toys, and not letting him sleep as much during the day. We're also trying to train him to sleep in a bed next to ours or to sleep at the foot of our bed instead of trying to sleep where he might get crushed at night. Is there anything I can do to encourage him to sleep on the pet bed next to us or at the foot of our bed?
Our short-term plan is to
  1. introduce him to vaccinated, healthy, indoor adults cats that belong to friends of ours in hopes of forming enough of a relationship so that the adult cat can show our kitten how to drink water, eat food properly, eat kibble, and play more gently
  2. continue feeding the gruel mixture until he's between 8 to 12 weeks old, gradually adding less and less KMR
  3. get him vaccinated and neutered as soon as the vet clears him for it
  4. expose him to multiple different people, environments, and pets to ensure that he's comfortable with change

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like all is going well. You will want to deworm him and make sure he doesn't have fleas.

He will need help cleaning up after eating until he gets older. He'll learn as he ages.

He doesn't need to drink water. He is satisfying his hydration needs with the kitten formula and wet food.

It's not wise to expose him to different environments or cats, especially before he is fully vaccinated himself. Cats don't do well with change, and don't really need to be trained in this regard.

Having him get used to other people in your home once he's a bit older is a good idea for socialization.

You are right that he may have some play aggression. Find a toy like the kickeroo that is his size. Give him that toy every time he starts to get too excited with claws and biting. You can also make an ow noise and move him away from you. Be consistent that play with you stops if it hurts.

Adopting another kitten his age in a few weeks might also be something to consider.

Have you looked into TNR for the mom and kittens in your sister's yard?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent, well done. You are a natural, we may essentially put your story as a manual for future references. :)

Some comments:
Yes, we dont recommend taking kittens from momma too early.
There are TWO know exceptions: 1. Dire necessity, when we must save what can be saved.
2. Kittens from ferale moms. Why? Because its much easier to foster them into sociale, brave cats before they are 8 weeks, than after...
So you did entirely right both to save him, and keeping him. His momma would prob accept him back, but its best so as you did in the long distance. Chance is big the momma would come forwards with the kittens to you anyways, when they become of age... They often do to someone they know is friendly human, perhaps their food source.

It would be splendid if you can help the momma with TNR, and help the remaining kitten, but this is another chapter of the story. Do what you can, and if you cant so you cant, pray and forget.

Its true kittens whom had mommas have often difficult to take bottle... But you found a working solution. :)

Yes, without momma nor siblings, much of the natural learnings will come slower. Its just to let it take time, trial and error. Sometimes you can perhaps try and show him...

His biting and scratiching. Playing with littermates and momma, he would learn not to bite too hard. Here YOU must do it. Yell and yelp... And cease the play for the moment... So he learns you dont think its not fun, and it has consequences for him too...
Dont use hands as his toys. Some manage to learn to bite wery careful, so it itsnt not always bad, but why risk to give him bad habits? If he is much for biting hands, or afraid of hands, use a wooden spoon to stroke and cuddle.
Why wooden? because wood feels warmth and almost soft. And why spoon? because its curved, and adds to the nice feeling...

The rest, as said, you are on good way, and most problems should solve themselves with time.
Most owners of small kittens has similiar problems.

Ah, use non clumping litter, even if its too late to say it... :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moisten the kitten chow with kitten formula. It will be easier for him to eat for now! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josh17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice and encouraging words!

The little guy is doing well and growing like a weed! It's amazing how much he can eat in one sitting.

I'm still struggling with a couple issues. He makes a huge mess of himself whenever he eats wet food. He doesn't seem to understand how to take bites or lick food up. Instead it sounds like he's trying to suck it up.

Will he develop a natural desire to avoid making a mess of himself whenever he eats? Will he learn on his own how to bite and lick up food?

He's also stepped in his own poop twice now, even after trying to cover it up with litter. He then tracked it onto the carpeting and onto my arm.

Will he develop a desire on his own to avoid stepping in his poop and urine?

Lastly, he seems to not know when to stop eating. I recently gave him as much food as he could eat, and he was still chowing down even after his abdomen was very firm and round.

Can a kitten overeat? Do I need to be concerned with how much I'm feeding him?

Thank you all for your advice and support! It definitely helps alleviate the anxiety I'm regularly experiencing in caring for this little guy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can never overfeed a kitten-yes they get over the messy stage. Unfortunately poop stepping is part of learning..don't worry it will get better!! Puppy pee pads help too. Especially around the litter box/food areas...they are easy to lay down and easy to toss and replace.