Adopted A Scared Kitty A Month Ago. Should We Get His Brother Too?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I'm late to the party on this one - - but after reading this thread - - and your initial one -- I hope you do keep us updated! And that Richi keeps continuing to progress on the eating front.

I do first want to say - a HUGE yeah and big hug for adopting Richi. Most people want the kitty that's outgoing from day one (which is understandable) - - it takes a very special person to bring a kitty with Richi's background and try to help him understand that his life now will be filled with food, love, safety, and consistency.

If I'm understanding the dates right - you really didn't adopt him that long ago (about a month ago, correct?). Although I know - as an "often foster mom and constant worrier" - that every day they don't eat like they should feels like an eternity, and that you want him to be as comfortable and happy as he possibly can. He's only been in your home for about a month now (I do realize - if I'm right - he was at a foster home for about a year). He sounds like he's had a very rough start, poor guy (he is gorgeous!!!). Cats and kittens saved from hoarding situations generally have had little or no human contact while in the hoarder's possession, and it sounds like when he did have human interaction there, it was awful. It often takes even healthy, well-adjusted cats and kittens some time to adjust to their forever home - - and cats with his background of starting life in a hoarding situation are, as a general rule one of the slower ones to learn trust in humans and safety in their forever home (but they're WELL worth the effort in the end - - for both kitty AND adopter!!!!!!). And he's obviously now in his third "home" (obviously the first one would barely be considered a home) - - and even though the fosterer surely loved him dearly, hoarded cats generally have a harder time "moving homes." To a certain extent - he's doing a bit of "starting over" with you. But I fully believe (even from looking at his relaxed posture in your photo!!!! Look at how relaxed his face is compared to his original shot!) you're going to end up with a kitty who loves you very much.

My avatar - "Bowie" - is a "failed foster" who also came from a very abusive home (where he was kept in a hamster cage, unable to fully stand up or turn around - and was left in that cage without a bite of food or any water, for days at a time in the hot sun). He was such a mess his sinuses were eaten through - and to this day snuffles and snorts like a 90-year-old asthmatic. It took months for him to learn to trust us (and he still runs for the hills when even the mailman comes toward the door!). But lots of love (and food, water and treats) later - - he's a gorgeous, chunkier-than-he-should-be (because his fear of starving never left him) ball of snuffling love.

So keep at it with Richi - and keep us posted. Getting this brother may end up being a very good idea (particularly if you know they did get along before) - and it might truly help him feel secure and help him open up. Of course giving two kitties from that horrid situation is a wonderful thought -- but I also think focussing on him for a bit more isn't a bad idea either.

Please do keep us posted on this gorgeous guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know I'm late to the party on this one - - but after reading this thread - - and your initial one -- I hope you do keep us updated! And that Richi keeps continuing to progress on the eating front.

I do first want to say - a HUGE yeah and big hug for adopting Richi. Most people want the kitty that's outgoing from day one (which is understandable) - - it takes a very special person to bring a kitty with Richi's background and try to help him understand that his life now will be filled with food, love, safety, and consistency.

If I'm understanding the dates right - you really didn't adopt him that long ago (about a month ago, correct?). Although I know - as an "often foster mom and constant worrier" - that every day they don't eat like they should feels like an eternity, and that you want him to be as comfortable and happy as he possibly can. He's only been in your home for about a month now (I do realize - if I'm right - he was at a foster home for about a year). He sounds like he's had a very rough start, poor guy (he is gorgeous!!!). Cats and kittens saved from hoarding situations generally have had little or no human contact while in the hoarder's possession, and it sounds like when he did have human interaction there, it was awful. It often takes even healthy, well-adjusted cats and kittens some time to adjust to their forever home - - and cats with his background of starting life in a hoarding situation are, as a general rule one of the slower ones to learn trust in humans and safety in their forever home (but they're WELL worth the effort in the end - - for both kitty AND adopter!!!!!!). And he's obviously now in his third "home" (obviously the first one would barely be considered a home) - - and even though the fosterer surely loved him dearly, hoarded cats generally have a harder time "moving homes." To a certain extent - he's doing a bit of "starting over" with you. But I fully believe (even from looking at his relaxed posture in your photo!!!! Look at how relaxed his face is compared to his original shot!) you're going to end up with a kitty who loves you very much.

My avatar - "Bowie" - is a "failed foster" who also came from a very abusive home (where he was kept in a hamster cage, unable to fully stand up or turn around - and was left in that cage without a bite of food or any water, for days at a time in the hot sun). He was such a mess his sinuses were eaten through - and to this day snuffles and snorts like a 90-year-old asthmatic. It took months for him to learn to trust us (and he still runs for the hills when even the mailman comes toward the door!). But lots of love (and food, water and treats) later - - he's a gorgeous, chunkier-than-he-should-be (because his fear of starving never left him) ball of snuffling love.

So keep at it with Richi - and keep us posted. Getting this brother may end up being a very good idea (particularly if you know they did get along before) - and it might truly help him feel secure and help him open up. Of course giving two kitties from that horrid situation is a wonderful thought -- but I also think focussing on him for a bit more isn't a bad idea either.

Please do keep us posted on this gorgeous guy!
Thank you for kind words! Bowie looks beautiful! :) What a story!!! If only cats could talk.
Richi is slowly starting to trust us and now, as I am writing this, he is hanging out on a sofa close to me, all stretched out in his sleep. Something I have not seem him do yet...

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad there was a little comfort in there for you! And thanks for the Bowie compliment - I'll let him know he has an admirer :). He really is a sweetie. I couldn't resist adding another picture of him (below) in his "can I have a belly rub on my giant belly?" position. Partially bc it makes us laugh - - but also to show you how far a very abused cat can come. From terrified to a pose of complete and utter submission (it's also how he usually sleeps)!

I love hearing Richi is trusting you more and that you definitely feel it! Lying close to you - stretched out while sleeping - that's BIG progress with a cat of his background. I know it feels like baby steps, but it sounds like you've made HUGE progress in a pretty short time. I'm not sure I've ever had a foster (and I've fostered for more years than I want to admit) from a hoarding situation trust that quickly. That's a biggie!

I think he just sounds wonderful - - and again - - I definitely get the warm fuzzier when I hear of someone taking on a more frightened kitty with a challenging background. Especially when it's obviously resulting in what sounds like it's quickly becoming a wonderful, loving relationship. You'll likely have some days where he takes a step or two back, but don't let it panic you that all your work's been undone. When my family (usually 5-6 people) comes a few times a year and stays for a weekend (so he's seen them MANY times), he'll still sometimes hide (as in MAJOR hide - wedge behind a sofa hide!) for several days after they're gone. Then soon he's back to his sweet, loving self.

So keep doing what you're doing - - the love's definitely working! And please please keep us posted on him!

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad there was a little comfort in there for you! And thanks for the Bowie compliment - I'll let him know he has an admirer :). He really is a sweetie. I couldn't resist adding another picture of him (below) in his "can I have a belly rub on my giant belly?" position. Partially bc it makes us laugh - - but also to show you how far a very abused cat can come. From terrified to a pose of complete and utter submission (it's also how he usually sleeps)!

I love hearing Richi is trusting you more and that you definitely feel it! Lying close to you - stretched out while sleeping - that's BIG progress with a cat of his background. I know it feels like baby steps, but it sounds like you've made HUGE progress in a pretty short time. I'm not sure I've ever had a foster (and I've fostered for more years than I want to admit) from a hoarding situation trust that quickly. That's a biggie!

I think he just sounds wonderful - - and again - - I definitely get the warm fuzzier when I hear of someone taking on a more frightened kitty with a challenging background. Especially when it's obviously resulting in what sounds like it's quickly becoming a wonderful, loving relationship. You'll likely have some days where he takes a step or two back, but don't let it panic you that all your work's been undone. When my family (usually 5-6 people) comes a few times a year and stays for a weekend (so he's seen them MANY times), he'll still sometimes hide (as in MAJOR hide - wedge behind a sofa hide!) for several days after they're gone. Then soon he's back to his sweet, loving self.

So keep doing what you're doing - - the love's definitely working! And please please keep us posted on him!

What a beautiful kitty!!!! :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bowie is indeed gorgeous! and TYSVVVM for being there for him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Those are show stopping face markings on that little guy. The white face with the little black chin gets me every time :D

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 - I'm honestly not trying to hijack your thread with Bowie pics - promise! :p He is darn cute isn't he though? I do hope though that his sad story and rotten start makes you feel a bit better and more confident that (A) you did a wonderful thing "taking on" an abused kitty, and (B) even the biggest scaredy cats with horrible starts can, with time and love, add so much joy to their lives (and ours!!!!). I'll admit - I'm not sure who got the most out of adopting Bowie - him or us! :heartshape:

And 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ---he's named after David Bowie and his "guy liner" (it was that or "Cooper" - after Alice Cooper).

Since you posted a "before" and "after" of sweet little Richi - - thought I'd add one last pic of our "abuse poster child." I think your pics show what a difference care and love make, even on the stress on their faces - and thought you'd appreciate how far he's come.

This pic (and it's not very good but you get the idea) is Bowie in week 1 of our fostering. I asked our shelter to let me take him to the vet bc of his almost feral reactions (also note how skinny he was vs now - he was 2 in this pic!). I load him into the carrier, get on the freeway.....not even thinking that this guy had spent ALOT of time alone in that horrifying hamster cage, meaning confinement might freak him out. UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR! As I'm driving, he starts ramming his face as hard into the metal grill/door of the carrier. I start driving faster, trying to verbally comfort him - - he just rams harder every second. I glance over - he'd been doing it so hard that he'd split open his nose AND caused some of his right eyelid to start to split open! So I start sobbing, causing him to freak out more and me to cry harder as I'm saying "It's OK! It's ok!" (it wasn't). I speed home (making an illegal freeway u-turn!) & let him out. He ran straight into the bathroom, bleeding, so terrified he wets himself. And I then couldn't get within 5 feet of the kitty who'd actually begun to open up. I felt like the worst cat fosterer/cat mom in the world!

Needless to say - - he now has a soft-sided carrier. And he's put on 10 pounds. ;) (his metabolism takes after mine).

But oh - - the power of patience and love! You're so on your way already!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 - I'm honestly not trying to hijack your thread with Bowie pics - promise! :p He is darn cute isn't he though? I do hope though that his sad story and rotten start makes you feel a bit better and more confident that (A) you did a wonderful thing "taking on" an abused kitty, and (B) even the biggest scaredy cats with horrible starts can, with time and love, add so much joy to their lives (and ours!!!!). I'll admit - I'm not sure who got the most out of adopting Bowie - him or us! :heartshape:

And 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ---he's named after David Bowie and his "guy liner" (it was that or "Cooper" - after Alice Cooper).

Since you posted a "before" and "after" of sweet little Richi - - thought I'd add one last pic of our "abuse poster child." I think your pics show what a difference care and love make, even on the stress on their faces - and thought you'd appreciate how far he's come.

This pic (and it's not very good but you get the idea) is Bowie in week 1 of our fostering. I asked our shelter to let me take him to the vet bc of his almost feral reactions (also note how skinny he was vs now - he was 2 in this pic!). I load him into the carrier, get on the freeway.....not even thinking that this guy had spent ALOT of time alone in that horrifying hamster cage, meaning confinement might freak him out. UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR! As I'm driving, he starts ramming his face as hard into the metal grill/door of the carrier. I start driving faster, trying to verbally comfort him - - he just rams harder every second. I glance over - he'd been doing it so hard that he'd split open his nose AND caused some of his right eyelid to start to split open! So I start sobbing, causing him to freak out more and me to cry harder as I'm saying "It's OK! It's ok!" (it wasn't). I speed home (making an illegal freeway u-turn!) & let him out. He ran straight into the bathroom, bleeding, so terrified he wets himself. And I then couldn't get within 5 feet of the kitty who'd actually begun to open up. I felt like the worst cat fosterer/cat mom in the world!

Needless to say - - he now has a soft-sided carrier. And he's put on 10 pounds. ;) (his metabolism takes after mine).

Note for any future stress times: FELIWAY SPRAY. We swear by it.
Good gosh. I am SO grateful you rescued him. He (and every other cat in dire need) is SO worth it.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

OMG! Poor little kitty! So glad you are taking care of him! What a change!
When did you take him to a vet next time? How long after the incident?
Also, how long did it take you to make him trust you?
I was able to pet Richi for the first time during our play yesterday. He even guided me where he likes being scratched, on his chin. :) I am ecstatic! It's only been 43 days since we took him home... Here is the latest photo of him all worn out after a good game of chasing Mr.Feather. ;)
May 28th.JPG

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Poor little kitty! So glad you are taking care of him! What a change!
When did you take him to a vet next time? How long after the incident?
Also, how long did it take you to make him trust you?
I was able to pet Richi for the first time during our play yesterday. He even guided me where he likes being scratched, on his chin. :) I am ecstatic! It's only been 43 days since we took him home... Here is the latest photo of him all worn out after a good game of chasing Mr.Feather. ;)
View attachment 286909
BIG PROPS to you, NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 and brave, handsome Richi! There's no joy in this world like the joy you feel when you earn the trust of an unconditionally loyal and loving heart. :redheartpump::runningcat::redheartpump::loveeyes:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 - - what a shot!!! (I forget - - are you a photographer? If not - you should be - -you've got a great sense of light, and your depth of field is great!).

Talk about Richi looking like he couldn't be happier where he is - - and who he's with! YEAH!!!!!!!!! (mad my night!) :yess: