Adopted A Scared Kitty A Month Ago. Should We Get His Brother Too?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are mammals just like we are. Some intelligent experts believe cats are more sensitive than humans and I absolutely agree. Cats bond very deeply. I have observed members of feline families in my care in the past and know they do. These two are BROTHERS. How would you feel if you were separated forever from your brother and never given any information as to why, or how your brother is? Cats are very intelligent beings and they have complex feelings. THEIR wellbeing should be the first consideration.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't say as to brothers, but having a second cat made life easier on me and made life easier on the first cat. Sir Eats-A-Lot and Chesterfield aren't blood brothers, but are bonded as closely as if they were littermates. I'd say you'd be quite pleased if you got the two brothers back together.

Liapluridon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our two girls were found on the side of the road by a family friend. At first, we just adopted one of the kittens, and the family friend adopted the other. However, after about a week she realized the other kitten wouldn't get along with her cats, so we adopted the other kitten too. I'm so glad I did that 9 years ago - they are just the sweetest cats I've ever had and they bring each other so much joy. They were both a little scared in the beginning but have turned out to be very affectionate now that they feel safe and loved every day.

I say, adopt the brother!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two girls were found on the side of the road by a family friend. At first, we just adopted one of the kittens, and the family friend adopted the other. However, after about a week she realized the other kitten wouldn't get along with her cats, so we adopted the other kitten too. I'm so glad I did that 9 years ago - they are just the sweetest cats I've ever had and they bring each other so much joy. They were both a little scared in the beginning but have turned out to be very affectionate now that they feel safe and loved every day.

I say, adopt the brother!
*GOOD ON YA* for adopting them both and so glad they are together and loved!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I am confused.

I volunteered for ten years with a rescue group that pulled most of our City's cats and dogs from this same County Animal Control group. Starting in 2000, they moved, along with most of California to a less draconian shelter toward a progress shelter. Mandatory (legally required) spay/neuter prior to adoption, working hand in hand with Rescue Organizations, extended holding periods and more improvements. They recently opened a new facility replacing the 1940/50 shelter facility.

The first thing that I notice is that the intake date is 09 May 2018. That is more than a year ago.

A previous head Admin of this organization shared with me the challenges they have when they encounter hoarders.

On rare occasions, a breeder or rescue can also cross that line and get in over their heads, abilities and available resources.

I am trying to understand if the kitten was adopted in May 2018 or if this was a recent adoption. The cruelty notation may indicate that it was the environment and not physical threats/treatment of the animal. It may be possible that the organization needed to hold some or all animals as evidence for the case to continue forward.

Please note that there are no cats on today's 22 May 2019 list with intake dates back into 2018.

Don't overlook that there was a volunteer foster, familiar with cats, working with both of these kittens. I do know that there is a possibility that a foster could ask that a cat not be put on the available list, if there was reason to believe it was not ready for adoption. It is more likely in my view that a foster was able to move the cat along and it likely found a home. There also is the possibility that the foster asked the shelter to reach out to Richie's family.

Hopefully, NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 will provide some additional info and have a good update on brother's outcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I am confused.

I volunteered for ten years with a rescue group that pulled most of our City's cats and dogs from this same County Animal Control group. Starting in 2000, they moved, along with most of California to a less draconian shelter toward a progress shelter. Mandatory (legally required) spay/neuter prior to adoption, working hand in hand with Rescue Organizations, extended holding periods and more improvements. They recently opened a new facility replacing the 1940/50 shelter facility.

The first thing that I notice is that the intake date is 09 May 2018. That is more than a year ago.

A previous head Admin of this organization shared with me the challenges they have when they encounter hoarders.

On rare occasions, a breeder or rescue can also cross that line and get in over their heads, abilities and available resources.

I am trying to understand if the kitten was adopted in May 2018 or if this was a recent adoption. The cruelty notation may indicate that it was the environment and not physical threats/treatment of the animal. It may be possible that the organization needed to hold some or all animals as evidence for the case to continue forward.

Please note that there are no cats on today's 22 May 2019 list with intake dates back into 2018.

Don't overlook that there was a volunteer foster, familiar with cats, working with both of these kittens. I do know that there is a possibility that a foster could ask that a cat not be put on the available list, if there was reason to believe it was not ready for adoption. It is more likely in my view that a foster was able to move the cat along and it likely found a home. There also is the possibility that the foster asked the shelter to reach out to Richie's family.

Hopefully, NewKitty2019 NewKitty2019 will provide some additional info and have a good update on brother's outcome.
Yes, Richi (our kitty) was in foster care since last June 2018 till May 17th 2019 when we adopted him. The 2nd post here is my post about him not eating.
Just an update, we had a very rough beginning with Richi trying to get him to eat and fixing a few problems that came up. Still not totally healthy yet but I am hopeful. We spoke to the foster lady and she said that there was total 7 cats taken from that hoarder's house. They all looked similar. His brother is actually a year older. I thought they were the same age and closer but that doesn't seem the case. We decided to hold off the 2nd adoption and try to get Richi healthy first. He is adjusting slowly but surely, getting more playful and less scared every day.
Thank you everybody for reading and commenting! :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the shelter for one cat. I ended up with her and her sister. Best decision ever.
We fostered a litter of 4. Found homes for two, kept two out of the lot. Yep, good decision :thumbsup:
We "fostered" Baby Girl for about 5 hours before deciding she'd found her home here. Plus, she weighed about 2 ounces and was able to beat the crap out of everyone in her first 24 hours. You don't part with that easily.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We fostered a litter of 4. Found homes for two, kept two out of the lot. Yep, good decision :thumbsup:
We "fostered" Baby Girl for about 5 hours before deciding she'd found her home here. Plus, she weighed about 2 ounces and was able to beat the crap out of everyone in her first 24 hours. You don't part with that easily.
Sounds like my aunt. She's well under 5' and NO ONE had better even try to stand up to her when she's mad.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! My aunt always said (until she lost her most recent dog to cancer very recently) that hers "ARE my family!"
We say the same thing ;) You can pick your spouse, your pets, or they can pick you but you can't really plan out your own family tree :thumbsup:
My grandmother had a sick kitten and was told to euthanize him, she said no way, took him home and fed him home made food and kept him healthy until he died.
At 19 1/2 years old.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We say the same thing ;) You can pick your spouse, your pets, or they can pick you but you can't really plan out your own family tree :thumbsup:
My grandmother had a sick kitten and was told to euthanize him, she said no way, took him home and fed him home made food and kept him healthy until he died.
At 19 1/2 years old.
Yup. Y'all are my kind of folks. Always feel so blessed to have/have had family like that. I tell it like it is -- my cats ARE my family and I do NOT live alone. I choose to live without other humans, and I choose to live with my feline family members, and no, I'm not a "crazy cat lady" because I'm more of a woman than a lady and I'll leave it up to the observer how they want to categorize me intellectually/emotionally. I think of myself as a blazingly boring common-sensical and compassionate person. Or something like that.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's like our Lilith. She weighs 5.5 pounds but thinks she's a full grown lioness.