Adopted a New Kitten Who’s Dealing with Ringworm

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I’m new to the site and am a new cat mom as I adopted a kitten in late September. I wanted a little advice as my 4 month old kitten is dealing with ringworm. I keep a cone on him to prevent him from overgrooming and have been administering his Intrafungol as suggested by the vet. He’s been an excellent kitty and is still eating and using his litter box normally. I have 2 general questions.
• Is it okay to leave him alone for a couple hours at a time? I tend to stay home for work, but will have to be going back into the office soon. I go out for groceries/to eat for 2-3 hours at a time and he doesn’t seem to care as he’s just napping or hanging out when I come back. I’m just a very anxious cat mom and want to make sure he’s okay.
• Is it best practice to give cats their own space and only interact when they come to you and ask for attention? I’m constantly concerned about him being bored or lonely if I don’t play or spend time with him in the house, but I also don’t want to smother him.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

New to cats kid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this probably sounds bad to you but my cats live in a barn tack room with horse blankets, saddles,grasshoppers, and another kitten to keep them occupied not to mention the giant room they can explore with fresh food litter and water and a cat bed I personaly from expiriece
1. Maybe consider getting another kitten of same gender so you don have to smother him and he always has a little friend or
2.You could do idea 2 with the second kitten i go to my barn 3 times a day morning,night,afternoon, but shes never bored because the friend
so thats my advice

p.s. i know it sounds careless but i would know our kittens had ringworm and a ton of fleas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this probably sounds bad to you but my cats live in a barn tack room with horse blankets, saddles,grasshoppers, and another kitten to keep them occupied not to mention the giant room they can explore with fresh food litter and water and a cat bed I personaly from expiriece
1. Maybe consider getting another kitten of same gender so you don have to smother him and he always has a little friend or
2.You could do idea 2 with the second kitten i go to my barn 3 times a day morning,night,afternoon, but shes never bored because the friend
so thats my advice

p.s. i know it sounds careless but i would know our kittens had ringworm and a ton of fleas
Thank you for your response! That doesn’t sound bad at all, but gives me peace of mind to see that there’s many different ways that cats can live and still be happy. Thank you for your advice I greatly appreciate it and I’ve been considering adopting another kitten, but my apartment is very small and I’m not sure if I’m ready for another big step like that. I should be moving into a new one soon, hopefully that will give me more opportunity to do that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right for now, and your kitten sounds well-adjusted. The most important thing now is to make sure the ringworm is gone before adopting another, as well as for his future health. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing everything right for now, and your kitten sounds well-adjusted. The most important thing now is to make sure the ringworm is gone before adopting another, as well as for his future health. Keep us posted!
Thank you! I really appreciate it. I’ll continue to ensure his ringworm is treated fully. A side question, do you have any recommendation as far as how to clean medication off of a cats fur? There are sometimes when a drop of the liquid medication doesn’t make it into his mouth and it dries up on his fur. I’ve just been trying to use water because I’m unsure of what products are safe to use on him to clean.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just water or water and Blue Dawn dish soap. That is what wildlife experts use to clean oil from birds.