Adjusting adult cat to new home

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have several adult cats but one which I’ve had for 5 months isn’t getting along with my oldest cat who is 15 years old. She also chases my other two cats around. I’m not sure if they are playing or fighting. But I’m thinking of giving her away to a household that doesn’t have any cats but am worried about her adjustin. How difficult will it be for her to adjust?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask how these cats were introduced? We may be able to backtrack and get these guys adjusted better, which would be ideal. If we can't, then we can look at rehoming, and give you some help in screening people for her new home. But first, let's see if we can fix things. Tell us the steps you went through, how long it took, everything you can remember.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Following on Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's excellent thoughts, could you post a video of their behavior so we can better see how their interaction and whether it's playing or fighting?
Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

Can you give your older kitty her own room away from the chaos, along with cat music - there's spotify, Youtube, RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and other sources :)

Have you tried things that are mentioned in these two articles?

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Echoing Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Furballsmom Furballsmom . And, a couple of questions as well:

If there is no blood or fur flying when she chases the other two cats, it is probably not actual fighting (see link above provided by Furballsmom Furballsmom ). How are these two cats reacting to her, both during these chasing sessions, as well as when there is no chasing going on? How is the 15 yo reacting in general?

How is everyone doing in terms of eating/drinking/using the litter box/playing/etc? Depending on the age of the all cats, how you did or did not 'introduce' them, as well as this new cat's 'background', 5 months just might not be long enough to get everyone to accept everybody else.

Edit: I believe the video upload feature has still not been fixed, but if you have YouTube, you can upload a video through it and then post a link to it on this site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
May I ask how these cats were introduced? We may be able to backtrack and get these guys adjusted better, which would be ideal. If we can't, then we can look at rehoming, and give you some help in screening people for her new home. But first, let's see if we can fix things. Tell us the steps you went through, how long it took, everything you can remember.
I basically let them intro themselves. The new cat did growl if the others came close and it took several days before she stopped. I think one of the other cats were jealous because she would lay in the doorway of the bedroom and if the new cat (Fifi) came in she would chase her out. My old cat stays in the bedroo so when Fifi would come I. The bedroom she would go after the old cat. I ended up closing the bedroom door so the old one would feel safe and eat etc. I already have someone who wants Fifi. Toldherithas tobe indoor cat and she’ll be the only cat in the household. I feel bad but I do have a 8 week old kitten I have to intro

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. Echoing Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Furballsmom Furballsmom . And, a couple of questions as well:

If there is no blood or fur flying when she chases the other two cats, it is probably not actual fighting (see link above provided by Furballsmom Furballsmom ). How are these two cats reacting to her, both during these chasing sessions, as well as when there is no chasing going on? How is the 15 yo reacting in general?

How is everyone doing in terms of eating/drinking/using the litter box/playing/etc? Depending on the age of the all cats, how you did or did not 'introduce' them, as well as this new cat's 'background', 5 months just might not be long enough to get everyone to accept everybody else.

Edit: I believe the video upload feature has still not been fixed, but if you have YouTube, you can upload a video through it and then post a link to it on this site.
The old cat was scared and not really eating much. Sometimes one of the other cats seemed to hide from Fifi. But after I closed the bedroom door the old cat started to eat better. I feel bad for the other cats when they get chased. It was more peaceful before Fifi came. I feel bad but on the other hand I don’t want to miss the opportunity of finding a new home for her. The person who wants her has had cats in the past and will keep her indoors. I love cats and have more than enough (all indoor)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The woman who wants her will be calling me this afternoon. At this point I really don’t know what to tell her. I know she’s been anxious to get her.
im so stressed because I keep going back and forth. I’m thinking of the kitten too, I don’t want to have to keep the bedroom door closed all the time either. The kitten will need to come inside soon, right now I’m keeping him separated ( on closed in porch) til he gets his shots.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Following on Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's excellent thoughts, could you post a video of their behavior so we can better see how their interaction and whether it's playing or fighting?
Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

Can you give your older kitty her own room away from the chaos, along with cat music - there's spotify, Youtube, RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and other sources :)

Have you tried things that are mentioned in these two articles?

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Hard to get their reactions on video, as far as the old cat I do keep her in my bedroom. I don’t have cat music but I do keep the radio on for her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...I wasn't aware that you actually had a home lined up. Do you know this woman? Are you certain that your problem child would be going to a good place? IF so, then that remains an option, especially if you have limited time and space to get this done. Cats need to be introduced slowly. Read those articles that Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested before making a final decision. This CAN be done, but it does take time.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to let everyone know I found a good home for my cat. It was a tough decision but I’m very happy to say she’s in a very loving home. Her new mommy sends me pictures and updates on her progress. She has settled in very well.