Adequan For Feline Arthritis? Any Reviews

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i did notice a diff w/adequan once a month. but if she is doped up u cant really tell? can u give her just the adequan once a month and observe her? does she really need the other med? can u find a diff vet to get her the laser trtmnt? honestly, if i cant go in the room with her i would look someplace else. i go 2 diff vets. one i quit going to because she got fleas. the other one i started going to has a vet tech that just pets her b4 giving the shot. my cat is afraid of ppl. i am confused that they dont let u in the room w/her with a mask on? r u concerned that all those meds could be affecting her kidneys? with my health and placides i know that any and all meds have side effects. i research everything b4 she takes it. does your cat really need all the pain meds? isnt the goal to fix the prob not mask it? i would be afraid i couldnt tell the diff between does she feel bad or is it the meds.dont a lot of meds go thru the kidneys? is that ok for her? poor baby. pls post a pic!
Placide looks so chic in those glasses! What a beauty. I have nothing helpful to add except that my GSD has been on tramadol and gabapentin and both were much more sedative than pain relieving. His vet has even told me outright that tram is basically a sedative but because it knocks the patient out it seems as if pain has been relieved.
and the adequan? i do believe it makes a diff. thnx for the compliment! if only she had been socialized as a baby! so so sad. but she lives a good life now!

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used Glycoflex for our dog and it worked very well for him.

Our cat has some arthritis in his back end and one of the treatments our vet suggested was laser therapy. It's non-invasive which is a plus but if this is something you're interested in it's very important to go to someone who is knowledgeable and reputable. Here's a helpful description of it:
Arthritis Treatment in Cats | petMD
thnx, what a beauty! the laser did help but it is such a challenge to get her in the cxr that the stress on her was not worth it. she will stay under the bed for days and only come out when i am sleeping. she is overly sensitive!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i did notice a diff w/adequan once a month. but if she is doped up u cant really tell? can u give her just the adequan once a month and observe her? does she really need the other med? can u find a diff vet to get her the laser trtmnt? honestly, if i cant go in the room with her i would look someplace else. i go 2 diff vets. one i quit going to because she got fleas. the other one i started going to has a vet tech that just pets her b4 giving the shot. my cat is afraid of ppl. i am confused that they dont let u in the room w/her with a mask on? r u concerned that all those meds could be affecting her kidneys? with my health and placides i know that any and all meds have side effects. i research everything b4 she takes it. does your cat really need all the pain meds? isnt the goal to fix the prob not mask it? i would be afraid i couldnt tell the diff between does she feel bad or is it the meds.dont a lot of meds go thru the kidneys? is that ok for her? poor baby. pls post a pic!
There are no vets that allow owners to be in the room with the pets now because of COVID, so it's either not getting her treated, or having her treated while I wait outside. I give her some food to eat while she's in the room, so that helps. My cat isn't afraid of people, she's just tired of going to the vets twice a month, especially when she is achy. I had stopped the gabapentin for her for about 8 months while she was was just doing the laser and Adequan, and she was really doing fine. But then she had an unrelated illness back in February and since then, she hasn't moved the same. So in March I started her on the gabapentin again to see if it would help. Like you and fionasmom fionasmom said, it might just be sedating her more than anything. What's probably going to happen is doing the Adequan back on a 3 week schedule, and probably continuing on the laser. Her kidneys have been fine; we've been monitoring her bloodwork pretty frequently. :)

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Placide looks so chic in those glasses! What a beauty. I have nothing helpful to add except that my GSD has been on tramadol and gabapentin and both were much more sedative than pain relieving. His vet has even told me outright that tram is basically a sedative but because it knocks the patient out it seems as if pain has been relieved.
i dont want to just stop the pain. the adequan "it acts by inhibiting enzymes that break down the cartilage within joints and by increasing the thickness of joint fluid. " sounds like a better option to me?

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont want to just stop the pain. the adequan "it acts by inhibiting enzymes that break down the cartilage within joints and by increasing the thickness of joint fluid. " sounds like a better option to me?
Before I started my cat on Adequan I looked through a lot of threads here, and some people found it made a big difference for their kitties, and others didn't. It's worth a try, and if it does work for Placide and you feel confident giving him the shots at home (it's a very small injection, but it's still a poke!), then at least isn't that stressful car ride for laser, even if he looks really cool with the goggles.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I don't like needles, either!"
"I don't like needles, either!"
There are no vets that allow owners to be in the room with the pets now because of COVID, so it's either not getting her treated, or having her treated while I wait outside. I give her some food to eat while she's in the room, so that helps. My cat isn't afraid of people, she's just tired of going to the vets twice a month, especially when she is achy. I had stopped the gabapentin for her for about 8 months while she was was just doing the laser and Adequan, and she was really doing fine. But then she had an unrelated illness back in February and since then, she hasn't moved the same. So in March I started her on the gabapentin again to see if it would help. Like you and fionasmom fionasmom said, it might just be sedating her more than anything. What's probably going to happen is doing the Adequan back on a 3 week schedule, and probably continuing on the laser. Her kidneys have been fine; we've been monitoring her bloodwork pretty frequently. :)
that is so bad! it is no fair to the kitties! thankfully all the vets in my city let u in! what happened in feb? i just read something new abt adequan and kidneys! u might find this interesting. Why I Love Adequan for Cats and Dogs | PetMD
maybe do one thing at a time so u can c if it is working? she is so handsome! i just luv them all!

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I started my cat on Adequan I looked through a lot of threads here, and some people found it made a big difference for their kitties, and others didn't. It's worth a try, and if it does work for Placide and you feel confident giving him the shots at home (it's a very small injection, but it's still a poke!), then at least isn't that stressful car ride for laser, even if he looks really cool with the goggles.
i stopped the laser trtmnt a year ago. i personally cant give her a shot. i tried putting eye drops in for 2 days and she would not be in the same room with me for a week! i cant have her alienated fr human contact. that is not healthy either. b4 this wk is over she will get the shot and a mani/pedi all at the same time!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that is so bad! it is no fair to the kitties! thankfully all the vets in my city let u in! what happened in feb? i just read something new abt adequan and kidneys! u might find this interesting. Why I Love Adequan for Cats and Dogs | PetMD
maybe do one thing at a time so u can c if it is working? she is so handsome! i just luv them all!
I almost feel bad embarrassing my cat, but she strained too hard doing a poop and injured her butt (mild rectal prolapse). She wasn't even constipated, which was weird! She was pretty much okay the next day, maybe walking a little weird, but having to wear a cone for 7 days so she won't lick back there was probably the worst part for her. But, for some reason, her overall mobility has not been the same since that incident. How could it even be related? Apologies to my cat for oversharing, lol.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been using Adequan for 3 or 4 years for my 17 yo cat. She has thrived on it. She moves without as much pain and we know when she is needing another one because she will get cranky when touched. We haven't seen any sort of side effects. She does get it monthly. Cosequin did nothing for her. Gabapentin caused her to become mentally distressed.
that is great news! cause of the good info i am going back to adequan and hope the liver tbl was fr her pred. lucky for me and her the gabapentin eased her stress! ty ty ty!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
W WMM201 is this still going on with the cat? Did the vet replace and secure the prolapse? All I can think of is that it seems that she might still feel something "different" back there which is affecting mobility.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
W WMM201 is this still going on with the cat? Did the vet replace and secure the prolapse? All I can think of is that it seems that she might still feel something "different" back there which is affecting mobility.
No, thank goodness! I took her to the emergency vet right after it happened, and the vet was able to tuck it back in and said she didn't need sutures, unless she licked at it in the week right after. The kitty wore her cone, and hasn't had the problem since. I had thought that same thing, but it really looks more like she doesn't want to extend one back leg fully, rather than something around her rectum area. :-\