Adding water to wet food

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do this, and create more of a soup for Toffee and Fudge when they have wet food. When they were kittens the only way we could get them to drink fresh water was if we mixed it up with the meat juices from their wet food pouches.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always do. I also use hot water when the cat food has been in the fridge, to warm it up a little and make it smell and taste better. I add enough water so that it's pretty runny and sloppy, and I mush it up with a fork, add more water if needed. I honestly can't imagine, anymore, feeding them hard pate right out of the can.

Storm Shadow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is excellent advice... Thanks everyone; I can't imagine why I never thought of doing it myself! :)
I've been doing this with every dish I serve our 3 indoor cats (plus two outdoor "neighborhood" cats) for a couple of days now and they all eat their food more readily. One of our indoor cats in particular, who was a very picky eater and always left half or most of whatever I fed him, now licks his bowl clean after I started adding water to his food.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also do this for greg and arnold, although they do have a fountain they use.

The boys are fed mainly weruva paw licken chicken. It is actual white meat chicken breast. Both cats will sometimes lick the gravy off the meat. Chicken breast on its own can be dry. I will add a couple of teaspoons to the remaining meat, mix it into a slurry and give it back to them. Then they finish off the food.

They are good teachers.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, mine are pretty good drinkers but I add it. I put in warm water also. They get pates and some flavors seem to have less moisture than others.