Adding water to wet food

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started doing this recently. I would add 1-2 tablespoon of water to mix into the wet food just to increase their hydration.

Anyone else does this?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Anyone else does this?
Yes, many of us here does that. This is one sure way that your cat is kept hydrated, especially for male cats. Some cats like soupy food and some don't like them too soupy and most cats would not drink water from the water fountain or water bowls and so by adding water to the wet food will help keep them hydrated.

Please keep doing this when you are feeding your cat.

Edit : Forgot to add this - Best is to use filtered water.

Last edited:

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every single meal she has, I add water to it. Generally her home cooked gets more because I cook it with water, freeze, thaw, then add more water and it seems to "soak" up more of it unlike canned that becomes soupy.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every meal. Also helps prevent constipation.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I add about 1 tbs to each 3 oz can of wet food, which Is twice a day. My cat Tuffy refuses water any other way.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish it were that easy for us! I've tried several times to add water to Lily and Zoe's food. Zoe doesn't seem to mind, but Lily wont touch it, she knows its been "messed with ". So I encourage her to get her "showers " from the faucet a few times a day

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do this for Olive but she started really hating it and sometimes wouldn’t finish her food. She’s on wet food only and she does use the water fountain so hopefully that’s enough.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I always microwave a cup of filtered water and add it to their wet or raw.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always and when she leaves some behind and it gets a little dried out, I add some more water to freshen it back up.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I add water to all of Jack's feedings. He used to drink from the toilet and this has all but eliminated that. He won't drink from a bowl of water.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to do this for Olive but she started really hating it and sometimes wouldn’t finish her food. She’s on wet food only and she does use the water fountain so hopefully that’s enough.
I recently started adding water to one of my cat's food. He's a good eater and doesn't seem to notice the extra "gravy," but the other two cats in my household are like your Olive. Way too picky to fall for my tricks!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because Buzz has had a few UTI's I add water to every sachet. His food is in gravy and he doesn't notice.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I add water. Mingo had a bout with crystals, but he hasn't had any since I started that. He doesn't mind the soupyness.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish it were that easy for us! I've tried several times to add water to Lily and Zoe's food. Zoe doesn't seem to mind, but Lily wont touch it, she knows its been "messed with ". So I encourage her to get her "showers " from the faucet a few times a day
Mine is the opposite and won't eat it out of the can without extra moisture lol

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always, and more than one tablespoon. If you mix the water with pate food physically (I do with my hand) it becomes a runnier mousse texture. Hima has them all this way. Otherwise she leaves some water on the plate.