Adding Turkey Mix To Rabbit To Reduce Bone

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I need to reduce the bone content of the whole carcass ground rabbit, since my kittyboy Zeke developed constipation.
I have figured out how much boneless meat and organs to add.
But..... I have some boneless turkey, with organs and Alnutrin with eggshell calcium mixed up already. Can I add that to the rabbit to reduce the bone content? Or will it still be too much calcium?
In the meantime, I’m adding the vet recommended amount of Miralax powder to the ground rabbit with bone, to keep things moving until I get a lower bone content food ready.

Thanks for any advice!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to add pure meat and fat without any calcium added. It's no wonder he's getting constipation. It's really high in bone. Where are you getting the rabbit from? And which product exactly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was giving him the whole carcass ground rabbit from Hare Today, which they say is 80/10/10, with Alnutrin for meat and bone, which has no calcium.
I was also giving him boneless ground turkey and organs from Hare Today with Alnutrin for boneless meat, with eggshell calcium.

It was on this rotation of meats, along with some whole mice on occasion, and chunks of rabbit, that he become constipated after 3&1/2 years.

I thought maybe the eggshell calcium was digested differently than bones, and I could combine the prepared turkey and rabbit to get through it.

I’ll get some plain ground turkey and organs to add to the rabbit.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was giving him the whole carcass ground rabbit from Hare Today, which they say is 80/10/10, with Alnutrin for meat and bone, which has no calcium.
I was also giving him boneless ground turkey and organs from Hare Today with Alnutrin for boneless meat, with eggshell calcium.

It was on this rotation of meats, along with some whole mice on occasion, and chunks of rabbit, that he become constipated after 3&1/2 years.

I thought maybe the eggshell calcium was digested differently than bones, and I could combine the prepared turkey and rabbit to get through it.

I’ll get some plain ground turkey and organs to add to the rabbit.
I looked on this site, and the whole ground rabbit carcass (I am hoping I got the right product ;)) is 80/10/10 but it also includes the fur. This might be what is potentially causing some problems for your little guy.
They offer a ground meat, bone and organ rabbit with no fur and with organs, it's 15/75/10, which is higher in bone but if you ditched the fur and added the meat in with this different mixture it might ease up on his problem :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll get anymore whole carcass ground rabbit; I think I’ll switch to boneless just to make life easier. :catrub:Luckily I have a dog to feed what I have left of the furry, bony stuff! It’s your lucky month, dog!:jump:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll get anymore whole carcass ground rabbit; I think I’ll switch to boneless just to make life easier. :catrub:Luckily I have a dog to feed what I have left of the furry, bony stuff! It’s your lucky month, dog!:jump:
I'd give it a shot!! Happy cat, happy dog happy human :thumbsup: