Adding supplements to IV line?

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it sounds like a really bad idea; but could I add potassium gluconate, milk thistle, etc. via injection into the IV line?

My 3 year old Birman female has CKD. And I give her 50mLs daily.

Diet-
*Epigen 90 dry as a snack
*Wet makes the bulk: Weruva Truluxe chicken and beef, Tiki Cat Chicken Craves Variety, Homemade cooked chicken with lamb [sometimes] added with a broth of turmeric, olive oil and fiber.

I got her from a breeder, but as an adult. As most breeders she does feed raw - but they have free access to cheap kibble. :(

Also she's tiny at about 4lbs [she was the runt].

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only supplement you can add to a line for sub cutaneous fluids is Vtamin B Complex and Vitamin B 12. You can add potassium but it isn’t absorbed well and you could get into trouble with it. If the potassium is low, you can supplement with Renal K, a potassium oral gel.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the olive oil, did your vet tell you to do that?
Does she have kibble now?
Are you feeding cat food or making your own? If making your own it is quite complex to get the nutrients right. You have to add a supplement such as Mazuri to the meat. Cats must have the proper calcium phosphorus ratio or the results are deadly.
I would listen to your vet over a breeder when it comes to nutrition or anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the olive oil, did your vet tell you to do that?
Does she have kibble now?
Are you feeding cat food or making your own? If making your own it is quite complex to get the nutrients right. You have to add a supplement such as Mazuri to the meat. Cats must have the proper calcium phosphorus ratio or the results are deadly.
I would listen to your vet over a breeder when it comes to nutrition or anything else.
I add olive oil; it's loaded with vitamin E and anti-oxidants. It's the healthiest oil on the planet.

I am looking for vitamin complex I can add to my food; I want to eventually stop buying canned food as it's expensive.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can’t effectively absorb nutrients from plant based oils. Just because it’s somewhat healthy for humans doesn’t mean it’s beneficial for an obligate carnivore. Good oils for cats are high quality fish/krill oil or GLM powder or oil. Good quality oil is purified enough that there’s no concern from phosphorus content.

You can add something like EZComplete or egg shell Altrunin to raw meat to make it nutritionally complete. EZC can also be used with cooked meat but it’s not ideal imo. If you’re not balancing with organ, calcium, and other supplements, or using a meat completer, her home cooked diet should be no more than 10% of her daily calories.

In your position I’d completely remove kibble from her diet. Is she on binders? If not, the Tiki Cat she’s being fed isn’t particularly suitable with the phosphorus content. Only Koolina Luau and Puka Puka Luau are appropriate for Kidney cats, to my knowledge. Especially given how many cans in that variety pack have fish. Fish shouldnt be a diet staple in healthy cats, and should be consciously limited, if not outright avoided, in kidney and urinary cats.

Turmeric can be toxic to cats over time so I’d remove it from her homemade diet. The cucurmin in it is anti-inflammatory, sure, but turmeric can also lead to oxalate stones and have other negative effects on the kidneys. Unless you’re giving a dose approved by your vet, or, ideally, a vet nutritionist, it’s unwise to give it at all, imo. Especially if she has PKD, which seems likely given her breed and age. Or has it been ruled out?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it sounds like a really bad idea; but could I add potassium gluconate, milk thistle, etc. via injection into the IV line?
This is a question for your vet.

My 3 year old Birman female has CKD. And I give her 50mLs daily.

Diet-
*Epigen 90 dry as a snack
*Wet makes the bulk: Weruva Truluxe chicken and beef, Tiki Cat Chicken Craves Variety, Homemade cooked chicken with lamb [sometimes] added with a broth of turmeric, olive oil and fiber.

I got her from a breeder, but as an adult. As most breeders she does feed raw - but they have free access to cheap kibble. :(

Also she's tiny at about 4lbs [she was the runt].

Have you seen this web site for CKD treatment? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat There's a link there to a forum where you can get addtional advice and help.