Adding Kittens to the family

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So how's your precious little tuxedo kitten doing?

Does she have a name yet? Are the other cats aware that she's in the home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten's name is Portia, and yes still looking for another cat. Portia is really tiny and really shy. she needs a friend her own size and pace.
went to the humane society, front rooms was kittens and super friendly cats that they don't need cages and was packed with applicants, the 2 "old cat" rooms were totally empty and way in the back... long story short new cat will be young might not be a kitten, I have to go back with my wife let pick from my 6 choices (or hold off til I find an orange poofy cat)

c0.jpg

2 greyish ones are kittens, the tabby with the round face is the oldest (3y/o).

Last edited:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten's name is Portia, and yes still looking for another cat. Portia is really tiny and really shy. she needs a friend her own size and pace.
went to the humane society, front rooms was kittens and super friendly cats that they don't need cages and was packed with applicants, the 2 "old cat" rooms were totally empty and way in the back... long story short new cat will be young might not be a kitten, I have to go back with my wife let pick from my 6 choices (or hold off til I find an orange poofy cat)

View attachment 318862
2 greyish ones are kittens, the tabby with the round face is the oldest (3y/o).
Oh that tortie in the middle!!! <3 But I'm partial to torties. :)

I'd probably try to get a kitten 1y or younger. .. just makes the integration easier.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really seems you would like a orange fluffy kitty. Trust me there is one (or a hundred) out there who needs a loving home too You just have to find him/her. I came across this site when I was looking for a Siamese or colorpoint kitten. it’s ► Rescue Me! maybe worth a look. You can set up alerts for your search. I ended up finding 2 siblings on craigslist that needed a home and we clicked right away . I spent an hour on the floor playing with 2 litters that were present. All colors and personalities. The 2 little color points were bonded and came right to me. They are now my sweet boys. I’m just saying it’s ok to have a favorite type or color. Good searching

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really seems you would like a orange fluffy kitty. Trust me there is one (or a hundred) out there who needs a loving home too You just have to find him/her...I’m just saying it’s ok to have a favorite type or color. Good searching
This is a good idea. I keep winding up with identical looking cats, none related, I'm ambivalent about tabbys but all 5 cats Ive owned were Tabbys.
koo2.png

Looks like the NJ shelters than don't use petfinder use, rescueme. Most on there all pretty far but Ill keep looking.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's so many kittens/cats that need homes, that it shouldn't be too hard to find an orange fluff ball.

When I was ready to adopt a cat, for some reason I knew I wanted a orange tabby, and lucky for me Ruby needed a home at the same time I was looking. :lovecat2:

If I was looking for another cat, right now I'm partial to grey ones, so # 4 in your pic above would probably be my first choice. :petcat:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very disappointed you didn't name her Blackbeard, but Portia is very cute regardless.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cyrus and now Portia were after I met my wife thus compromises, my first choices were Mike and Jennifer.
I dislike traditional people names...and have a Clyde anyways. Family votes...plus sometimes its hard to shake the name the foster family comes up with lol.

Try to add your second cat before there would be a big size difference between the kittens. An 8th month old and a 4 month old kitten are going to end up good friends...but there is some chance the kitten will be a big deterred by the size, and the 8 month old won't get as much energy out that way . . . and will be more likely to look to your other cats more often. Not a huge difference, but not a complete non-issue either. Just do the best you can to make it reasonably quick if you are sure you want another kitten.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dislike traditional people names...and have a Clyde anyways. Family votes...plus sometimes its hard to shake the name the foster family comes up with lol.

Try to add your second cat before there would be a big size difference between the kittens. An 8th month old and a 4 month old kitten are going to end up good friends...but there is some chance the kitten will be a big deterred by the size, and the 8 month old won't get as much energy out that way . . . and will be more likely to look to your other cats more often. Not a huge difference, but not a complete non-issue either. Just do the best you can to make it reasonably quick if you are sure you want another kitten.
Ill be on the search. If I dont find one in the next month, then it wasn't meant to be. My 5y/o is far more hyper now than any shelter kitten I've seen, he runs all day/night. I'm more worried about him stressing out the kitten than the kitten not having a playmate.