Adding kitten to 2 dog household

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am getting a kitten in a week or so , 7-8 weeks old. I have 2 westie dogs now. Has anyone added a kitten with over zealous dogs? They have nothing against cats at all. If they come upon one outside they go up and greet it. They do chase squirrels though. So what terrier doesn't chase squirrels? So I am hoping that this goes well. 

I know that one of them may give the kitten a run for her money. I have a safe room that the kitten can go. It will be her room with food, littler box, etc. 

Everyone I know has expressed their "concern" about this not working out getting a kitten with my dogs. Honestly I am tired of these "concerns". And it's funny none of these "concerned" people have cats. 

Now I am starting to doubt myself in thinking what if they are right. Sometimes it's almost like they are just waiting to say "I told you"!!!! if there are problems with adjusting. They are just taking the excitement and joy out of this for me. 

Has anyone had a similar situation? Either with the dogs adjusting to the kitten, or with negative people? 

What are some ideas that can help with the adjustment to get them not to overly terrorize the kitten?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an article about introducing cats to dogs. I would recommend that you follow each step in the article for the best chance of good results http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

Is it possible for you to wait a few more weeks to take the kitten? It is ideal if they can stay with mom and siblings for 12 weeks, but 8 weeks should be the ABSOLUTE minimum.  I myself could not in good conscience take a 7 or 8 week old kitten from mom and siblings.  Until 12 weeks kittens are still learning from mom and their siblings how to behave.  Taking them earlier, but especially before 8 weeks, is really not a good idea for the kitten.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! First, 7-8 weeks is fairly young to be separated from mom and siblings. The recommended minimum is 10 weeks, preferably 12. If it's possible for the kitten to stay longer with her family, you will most likely get a better behaved kitty. Sometimes though, it's not always possible, so you may have to do more kitten training. :)

As for introducing a young kitten to two dogs, you do want to be slow and careful about introductions per the article below. Kittens are small and fragile, so you want to be extra vigilant. It can be done, but so much depends on the personalities involved. It is not a black and white situation.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies.  I have printed off the article and will be very diligent in following.  I am so glad I ask this because I was just going to bring it home and hope for the best.  lol   I want this to work.  

I will check on if I can leave the kitten until 10 weeks or so.  I don't think it would be a problem if I talk to the gal about the pros of waiting.  I don't think she would have an issue.  There are 4 other kittens in the litter and the owner will be keeping one.  I'm pretty sure that they will be 8 weeks on the 17th of March which is the day the ad said they would be ready.  I don't doubt then the others will be picked up at or before that day.  Since the owner will be keeping one kitten I don't see where it would be a problem to keep mine for a couple/three more weeks.    

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! And please keep us posted on their progress. Oh, and pictures too please! We love pictures around here, especially of adorable kittens, but dog pictures are welcome too. :)

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok.  I talked to the gal about keeping the kitten for an extra couple of weeks.  So at least 10 weeks old.  She has no problem with doing that.  

I will post back with photos.   

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stopped off and visited with the kitten Monday.  So as it is now then I will not be picking her up until she is at least 10 weeks old.   

I am thinking of taking some things over that will have dog smells, along with a little house/bed for the kitten that hopefully I can leave with her that the kitten will get her smell on to bring home in the next week so the dogs will be introduced to her smell.  I have the cat tree up in the living room  (which she may not be using until it is safe for her to come out of her room).  Will just have to see how the progress goes.  But the dogs are being used to seeing it along with the gate so those things will not be new at the same time as the kitten.

Hopefully will have pictures up at least by this weekend.  Have some on my phone but have to figure out how to get them over here.   

Oh and I have named her Izzy.    

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The owner of the mom and kittens needs to get all of them spayed/neutered now. This can be done as early as eight weeks or two pounds. She should also get them checked by the vet and started on their vaccinations. If she doesn't do it, be sure you do it right away. They need to be tested for leukemia and FIV too.

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 weeks ago, I got my first cat. I have 2 dogs and a rabbit. The rabbit has his own little room, so he's fine. I was quite worried, but things went great. I did all of the recommendations from the article. On Day 1 I was comfortable enough letting the older, calmer dog near the cat. By day 2 they were snuggling and sleeping together. The younger dog, I kept on leash around the cat for a little over a week. I've just recently started letting him loose at the same time as Chester. He shows no aggression, but REALLY wants to play. I just worry he'll either scare Chess or play too rough, so I keep constant eye on him. I also made sure Chess has a few good high places to jump to if startled.

Just take the advice from the article, and use your instinct. Granted, my cat is a year old, and a pro at letting the dog know when he's not comfortable (he swatted her a few days ago).

Like I said, this is my first cat ever, so if I can do this, anyone can. Just be cautious. They can actually end up being great friends and comfort to each other. Chess is sick right now, and Kaia snuggles and loves him just like he needs.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The countdown is on.  I'm thinking the end of March.  Thanks for the encouragement Chesters Mommy.  I go from "this will be ok" to "what am I thinking".  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still at least two weeks until I pick up Izzy.  I plan on doing some scent transferring between the dogs and her  before I get her.   

I was thinking about how I am going to introduce her to the home and the dogs.  Would it make sense to have them meet someplace neutral before I bring her into the house?  

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Still at least two weeks until I pick up Izzy.  I plan on doing some scent transferring between the dogs and her  before I get her.   

I was thinking about how I am going to introduce her to the home and the dogs.  Would it make sense to have them meet someplace neutral before I bring her into the house?  
No, it would not make sense. Introductions will need to be a long process and will need to be started once Izzy is comfortable in her secure room and once scent swapping has occurred.  I understand you are eager to do this and for it to work but PLEASE go review the article I and others linked above and follow it step-by-step, going SLOWLY.  You will have the best chance of things going smoothly if you adhere strictly to this protocol.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  It was just an idea a friend mentioned to me so I thought I would ask so that if they brought it up I would have a good answer.    I have printed out the article with instructions.   I guess I can only wait to see what happens when I do bring the kitten.   In reading the article then it made me think, how do I go about bringing the kitten to its room.  Should I have the dogs out of the house and bring the kitten in and put it in its room.  Or just block the dogs off from the path I would bring the kitten (in it's crate) into the house and to it's room?   And I assume that I would close the door to the room and not just gate it?

Thanks for all of this help.  It is a delicate situation and I really want to do it as perfect as I can.   

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In reading the article then it made me think, how do I go about bringing the kitten to its room.  Should I have the dogs out of the house and bring the kitten in and put it in its room.  Or just block the dogs off from the path I would bring the kitten (in it's crate) into the house and to it's room?   And I assume that I would close the door to the room and not just gate it?
Either way wold be fine- whatever is easier for you and you feel most comfortable with. 

Yes, I would definitely close, not gate, the door.

I am happy we can be of any help!!

emmasmygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There,

We went through this as well. I have 2 Pomeranians (fully accustomed to cats) and we decided to add two kittens to our household. We just let them get to know each other, without restrictions, and it worked out great! As long as your pup(s) are OK with cats, the kittens won't experience any fear. Our cats (once kittens) knew each dog and his/her preference . Tjey adapted very well and now snuggle with the dogs and are more 'dog' than cat. I wish you the best of luck and don't stress over it. They will work it out.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As long as your pup(s) are OK with cats, the kittens won't experience any fear.  
This is unfortunately not necessarily true.  Some kittens do much better than others around dogs, just as some cats do, and in fostering I have see this over and over.  If a kitten is being introduced to a dog for the first time it may indeed be afraid or express displeasure. My two residents were 'tested' with dogs at around 6 weeks.  One did well with them ( and to this day at the vet will try to escape to play with dogs) and the other did not (and to this day will hiss at any dog he encounters at the vet).  A kitten at 10-12 weeks may instantly take to a dog and be unafraid or may not.  It is important not to assume the kitten will react well, this is not a given.  It is also not a given that the dogs will react well.

I am not meaning to be a joy kill, but I think it's very important that the OP understands that many outcomes are possible initially, and there is no guarantee. That is not to say that with time and patience the kitten will not come to accept and like the dog, but this may not be immediate, and vice versa.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at it this way.  Expect the worst (hope not) and hope for the best.  
  Hopefully I get something in between.  But I am prepared.  Have my instructions printed out and will have the Patience of a saint if need be.  With everyones experiences being different I will just wait and see.     

She turned 8 weeks yesterday.  So hopefully I can hold off getting her for a couple more weeks.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's getting close now.  I plan on picking Izzy up next Saturday.  She will be 10 weeks old.  I saw her on this past Friday and she is so tiny.  I guess I expected her to have grown more.  She is the last one to go as the other ones have picked up already.    

nycblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten about 2 months ago.. She was 10 weeks old. I have a German Shepard and a Doberman and another cat. The first night I kept the kitten in a large dog crate and didnt introduce her to the others. The next day I let the dogs in one at a time to meet Blu. I kept her in crate. I did this for a few days. I kept the other cat at a distance too. I then let each dog have alone time with Blu out and dogs in down stays on couch and the other cat (until she became over stimulated) I kept adding time to each visit and watched body language. I also had to tell dogs to leave her alone a lot... all they wanted to do was kiss her!! The more time they spent together the less they viewed Blu as new. It's taken 2 months of going slow but now everyone hangs out together. But I still don't leave Blu alone with dogs without supervision.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is definately dooable.  I can't wait until I can pick her up.