adding canned pumpkin - constipation and hairballs?

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We noticed Piglet straining at the box yesterday and her bottom looked a little upset - we think she has been constipated.  I’m considering adding a bit of pumpkin to her food only… but then I thought maybe it would benefit all three cats?  Piglet has chronic kidney failure but has maintained weight and normal stools until now; she’s also drinking her normal amount of water and i add extra extra water to her meals.  Samantha has struggled with hairballs in the past - we’ve been giving her special treats for hairballs but maybe adding the pumpkin would help both girls?  Could it ‘hurt’ Jake?

All three are healthy weights at this time.  We feed a combo of stella & chewy's freeze dried raw (always rehydrated) and home cooked; i'm considering just adding it into my home (partially) cooked food.  From what I've read, it's about 1 tablespoon/day per cat, can anyone confirm/deny/share experience with me?  thanks in advance :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When's the last time Piglet saw the vet--maybe it's time to see how the kidney function is doing? 
thanks :) we actually saw the vet three weeks ago and they were not worried about kidney function since her weight has remained stable.  the vet recommended bringing her in for blood work 5 weeks from now based on her last blood panel (five months ago).

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My precious baby was crying ever time he had to poop.  Took him to the vet & they expressed his anal glands.  No problems after that.