Adding A Second Cat

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just found out that I'll be able to add a second siberian kitten to our family next week. (So thrilled and excited!)

So now I need some help on how best to set things up logistically. I know I need an additional litter box (for a total of three). But what's the best way to handle feeding when the two cats will be at different stages of feeding? Shiva is transitioning to raw, but I expect I'll have to ween the incoming 3-month kitten (he'll be named Kratos) off of dry kibble. So two questions:
  1. How do I feed them separately to make sure they're each eating what they need to?
  2. Will it be safe to transition Kratos from dry directly to the raw recipe I've already got Shiva moving to? Or should I transition him to a wet kitten food (been using Wellness Kitten Pate with Shiva) first, and then move to the raw in 6 months or so?
This is Kratos!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, wow! I just want to pick them up and give them hugs!

I have three cats, and I have to feed them in three different rooms. Lily is on a no-chicken diet and eats in the bedroom. Iris will eat only chicken and eats so slowly that the other cats come and try to intimidate her away from her food, so she eats in the bathroom with the door closed. Mocha is a fairly recent addition to the family and not popular with the other two; she gets fed in the kitchen.

They actually learned their assigned places pretty quickly and are either waiting in those spots or follow me to the right location wth very little hesitation.

I moved mine from canned to raw in December “cold turkey,” but they’re adults. I can’t speak to transitioning kittens, but I’m sure someone will be along soon to help!

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw they are so adorable!!!

How old are your kittens? If it works for you & them, the easiest thing is to put out fresh food 2-3x/day and let them graze on it. The food will be fine for up to ~12 hours...after that it starts to get crusty. The new kitten will probably start eating raw with no problem, and you'll be able to reduce then pull the kibble. This will also make your life easier as the amount of food they need will change over the next year or so.

I fed my two Siberians that way for years, but just recently they started getting picky so I had to switch them to meals. That solved the picky problem, but unfortunately created another: one cat eats everything in sight but the other eats a bit at a time. So I feed them in separate rooms and watch Chai's dish to make sure Charlie doesn't get to it before he's done with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
We've had Kratos for about two-and-a-half weeks now. The separate feeding was a bit inconvenient keeping Shiva out as we transitioned him from kibble to homemade raw, but it went faster than I had planned as his tummy took to it rather quickly. He didn't have any loose stools as I allowed him more and more raw. I was expecting possibly a few weeks transition, but it really only took about 5 days and he was off the kibble entirely with no ill effects.

He loves the homemade and both kitties are eating harmoniously from two bowls that are side-by-side in a Neater Feeder. Couldn't be happier!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love it when it works so perfectly! I also just got a new kitten 19 days ago. I transitioned him from canned to raw in 6 days with no issues. Kittens are so much easier than adults :yess:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice!

Let me suggest that you don't feed them side by side. I had to stop my beautiful raw free feeding arrangement when my cats, who had been totally easy about feeding for the first few years of their lives, suddenly decided to get all competitive about it. I now feed them out of sight of each other and they've gotten a lot more relaxed. Bonus, I'm now spending a lot less time cleaning up cat vomit. I think they've been stressed about the food situation for quite a while, and it took having one cat virtually go on a hunger strike to make me realize it. Bad me!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Concatulations on getting a new kitten!

First, a note about litterboxes: You don't really need three for two cats. When I had two cats they shared both litterboxes just fine.

On topic: You have to feed them separately where they can't eat each other's food during meals.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am now thinking I need to separate their food as you suggest. Shiva let's Kratos have the food area until he's done then she'll go eat. And they both graze, so it's not like one gobbles it all up. But they are competitive when it comes to gizzards. So that's a slight problem.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE
I had to separate their feeding as Sophie suggested. Shiva started gobbling food so that Kratos wouldn't take it all (even though he wasn't) and started throwing it up as a result. Upon separation she has ceased vomiting and all is well again.

Nice heads up, sophie1 sophie1 !

Recent pic of the little bugger that is Kratos and Shiva.