Adding a 3rd cat, what sex is the best

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,  I am planning on getting a new kitten soon, I have 2 females age 3 and 1.5.  Both spayed, not declawed.  I have heard conflicting info on which sex is the best for my mix.  Does anyone have any thoughts,  Thanks

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter.  I've had multiple cats living with dogs and I've found that the sex doesn't matter assuming all are fixed.  I had 6 cats living together peacefully...3 male and 3 female.  The first 4 were acquired within the same year.  First a male long haired black baby...Second, grey and white long haired female...Third, male long haired orange tabby and the forth my beautiful female short haired tuxedo...All got along well until we moved and then the grey and white, divorced herself from the rest...Didn't interact that much to start with but the move didn't sit well with her.  After that we got another female long haired orange 6 month old rescue and she was fabulous.  Made a real effort to get along with the others.  The final cat that came into the house was my daughters quite a few years later...a male long haired white with black spots.  He got along with everyone instantly.  The only one still with us out of that group is my daughter's cat who is 13....All the others died over the age of 16.  Great cats everyone of them! The two orange and the tuxedo would sleep together, but the others would sleep close by but not curled up together.  The long haired black, was the king and would protect the rest if need be.  It was an interesting dynamic...fun to watch.  Everyone could fetch, come to their name.  Two of the group would go for walks with me and my dog.  Loved it.   

Pick the cat you want...The most important thing is temperament, in my opinion. 

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, forgot to mention...Presently have three cats living with us...The old male white and black long haired and another older cat (beautiful female grey tabby, also long hair).  The third is my sweet kitten, Lily who is a short haired black sweetheart.  The old fellow and my Lily get along really well.  The other female grey tabby isn't a fan of the kitten, but does tolerate her.  The dog adores her...So there you go!  As I said, pick the cat you want.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your replies.  Are certain cats such as torties, more stand off ish, types that are friendlier, or is it just the individual personality of the cat.  I have noticed my tortie is more reserved while my calico a lot more friendly

David

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can usually predict the personality of a purebred cat, within a relatively wide range. But random-bred cats can be anything within the spectrum of kitty possibilities.

There's some theory that calico and tortie females tend to have a bit more "attitude" than non-calicos, but that could be an urban legend, or just an artifact of the fact that calico and torties are practically always females, and females do tend toward "attitude". Female cats are more likely to be dominant, neutered males more likely to be cuddly and easygoing. But there are exceptions to every rule! My calico girl is a shy, inquisitive cat who loves laps; my neutered tabby boy is an energetic guy who can read my mood like an open book and wants interaction on his terms only. So, it is a general tendency, if anything.

The best way to know a cat's personality is to interact with it. :)

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It-really-doesn't-matter,I-have-both,and-as-the-others-have-said,its-the-personality-of-the-kitten.It-is-also-very-important,how-the-kitten-is-raised.If-the-pet-parent-teaches-the-kitten,manners,what-is-expected-of-the-kitten,and-what-will-not-be-tolerated,in-other-words,you-have-to-teach/train-the-kitten,just-as-we-have-been-taught,and-as-a-child-has-been-taught.Mine-are-show-cats,they-are-highly-trained,and-very-well-behaved,but-it-didn't-happen-overnight,it-takes-alot-of-time-and-alot-of-patience.

Each-breed-has-their-own-personality-characterists,but-they-are-also-individuals.I-have-seen-Maine-Coons,very,laid-back,as-is-their-breed-characteristic,and-I-have-seen-some-nasty-nasty-ones.

Red-males-tend-to-be-very-laid-back,and-red-females,tend-to-have-"the-tude",as-we-say-in-the-show-world,lol.

Calico's-and-Torti's-would-have-the-red-in-in-them,and-would-be-a-female,as--a-male-calico-or-torti-is-extremly-rare,and-would-be-sterile.

But-as-the-others-have-said,there-are-always-exceptions,lol.

When-you-find-a-kitten-or-cat-you-are-interested-in,spend-some-time-interacting-with-him/her,and-see-if-the-personality-is-what-your-looking-for.

Just-be-aware-when-you-bring-another-cat/kitten-into-the-household,there-is-always-going-to-be-a-reshuffling,of-the-pecking-order,and-it-takes-time-and-patience,for-them-all-to-adjust-to-each-other,alot-of-it.

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I/family/friends have had best luck with males but there are always exceptions.  I currently have five males(no females) and there are few behavioral issues/no territorial marking.  My family and friends have not been so lucky with female cats(who sprayed, hated other cats, etc).  However, I had a wonderful female cat who loved male and female cats.  She even won over a former roommate's senior female who hated other cats.  Generally kittens are easier to introduce but it really varies from cat to cat.  Good luck; I hope you can find a shelter that can give you good information about that cat/kitten you are introducing.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also say it doesn't matter. It's what you prefer in personality; I have 2 males and a female cat. They get along for the most part.
I had Miagi & Tiger before Angel came along. It really didn't change a lot except Miagi is not fond of Angel. He is just grumpy with her; he wouldn't hurt her. I don't expect them to be best friends. Miagi & Tiger aren't really close either, but they get along. Tiger & Angel get along well. They chase each other through the house each night.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've received some excellent advice and comments here and all are definitely worth consideration.  May I suggest if you are going to go through a shelter that you think about getting a black cat/kitten.  They are often the last ones considered and yet, I've never met a black cat I didn't like.  My beautiful little female short-haired black kitten has been a wonderful addition to our home and everyone loves her.  She is affectionate, lively, yet loves to cuddle and is smart as can be.  She knows the word "No" which lately, she has heard fairly often now that the Christmas tree is up...LOL 

As FlinkMcCullough mentioned, one needs to train their cat as one would a child and if treated well, you should have a very well behaved cat eventually.  This has been the case will all of the cats I've had over the years.  Show love and it is returned.  Show what is appropriate behaviour and they will eventually get it.  Cats are much smarter than most think.  Someone once told me you can't train a cat as you would a dog...I beg to differ as in some cases my cats have been far better trained than many dogs.  Some of my past cats learned to walk on leash...others walked beside me (without leash) and waited for me outside a store while I shopped for veggies.  Cats are more inclined to do things they want to do but with loving training, it can be what you want as well.  My cats have always wanted to be around me, so going to the store or the voting station or to pick out a Christmas tree at the lot down the street, are things that just came naturally to two of my old cats from years ago. In those days, I let my cats out during the day if they felt like it, but they all knew the time they had to come in.  It turned out, as they got older, that they mostly wouldn't stray outside our property or in two cases, off the back deck.   Now I don't let my cats outside the house.  The two older cats don't want out as they were used to apartment living when they both were with my daughters.  My new kitten, I feel should stay inside too as the area I now live in has far more traffic and I wouldn't want to chance anything happening to her. Once she is older, I might train her on leash, but for now, she is an indoor cat and quite happy that way.  Anyway, I've gone way off topic.  I just thought it might be nice if you considered at beautiful black kitten and as I said, every one I've met, male or female, has been a truly great cat with a wonderful disposition.     

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies.

I did go to a shelter today and there were so many beautiful cats and kittens.

I decided on a kitten , I thought it would be better for my young cats. I ended up with a Calico.

Her name is now Ju Jitsu,  But we call her Ju Ju   and Ju Ju bean.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!  I hope you will post pictures!

kabukidad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will, there is one I posted in new kittens on the block, not sure where I was supposed to post them

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have to say, my three pure domestic female cats, HATE each other. One, is a biological mother daughter "pair". The daughter is now seven years old. The mother is fourteen plus years old now. The other, is a terminally ill DLH, who, is almost three years old. Even, the mother daughter pair, who, go in and out at will, often attach each other. The strictly indoor (by her own choosing), DLH, is always running away from and used to be attached by, the two DSH's. While, the castrated domestic males, I used to own, NEVER fought. Some got along, some didn't. But, they did not fight. Yes, all three, domestic females are spayed.

Now, my castrated F3 Savannah male and DLH get along great. The F3 Savannah male, licks and trys to play with, the DSH's. However, the DSH's want nothing to with the Savannah. This has gone on, for almost three years.