Added a dog to the mix....

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just bought a house in February, and finally could get a dog! (Dog friendly rentals are almost impossible to find near us). We adopted Luke from a shelter 90 mins from us on April 10th. They estimate that he is 2 years old, and was transferred from another shelter after being there for over 2 months. Prior to that he was apparently a stray, so not sure how long he's been without a family, but he's fit right into ours!

IMG_20210502_190557_839.jpg
PXL_20210501_132338331.jpg

My cat Lydia is not a fan :lol: But he doesn't bark at or chase her so she is slowly coming around. She's 11 years old and the last dog that was in her life chased her relentlessly (that was 7 years ago for 6 months) so I think that combined with the fact that Luke is 75 lbs is making her nervous. Luckily she has plenty of hiding places out of reach, and the house has two stories, so she can pretty much completely avoid him as long as she needs to. ❤

So now we have Lydia the cat, Tuchanka the Leopard Gecko, Ripley the Jardine's Parrot, and Luke the Boxer mix :)

All with two kids (6 years and 1.5 years). :runaround:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on adopting Luke! :thumbsup: He is absolutely adorable and from your pic gets along with children, another plus. As long as Lydia has plenty of hiding places and, as you mentioned, a two story house it will take her some time to adjust but I'm sure she will be fine. Be sure to give her one-on-one attention especially when Luke is in the yard or out on a walk with another family member. You can also put up a baby gate(s) wherever necessary. Best of luck on your new furry family member and please keep us updated with pics including one of Lydia.:camera:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes she definitely still gets one on one time and with the toddler we have gates up already. With the kids, giving her a lot of areas to hide and vertical space to explore and be able to exist without being disturbed has always been a priority of ours.

IMG_20200820_093647.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We just bought a house in February, and finally could get a dog! (Dog friendly rentals are almost impossible to find near us). We adopted Luke from a shelter 90 mins from us on April 10th. They estimate that he is 2 years old, and was transferred from another shelter after being there for over 2 months. Prior to that he was apparently a stray, so not sure how long he's been without a family, but he's fit right into ours!

View attachment 378990View attachment 378991

My cat Lydia is not a fan :lol: But he doesn't bark at or chase her so she is slowly coming around. She's 11 years old and the last dog that was in her life chased her relentlessly (that was 7 years ago for 6 months) so I think that combined with the fact that Luke is 75 lbs is making her nervous. Luckily she has plenty of hiding places out of reach, and the house has two stories, so she can pretty much completely avoid him as long as she needs to. ❤

So now we have Lydia the cat, Tuchanka the Leopard Gecko, Ripley the Jardine's Parrot, and Luke the Boxer mix :)

All with two kids (6 years and 1.5 years). :runaround:
Oh, such a handsome fella! I love dogs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful cat and dog. Luke looks so proud of himself in the pic with your son. He finally has a family. I have had GSDs for years with cats, both species brought into the house randomly as I rescue, and everyone has always adjusted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat and dog. Luke looks so proud of himself in the pic with your son. He finally has a family. I have had GSDs for years with cats, both species brought into the house randomly as I rescue, and everyone has always adjusted.
That's good to hear! She's at least eating her normal amount finally, just at night instead of during the day, so I'm hopeful that means we're getting close :)

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats! We just adopted a dog 10 days ago. Our kids have an age gap very similar to yours but are older. :)