acupuncture prep for a semi feral

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey is a former feral that I am going to start on acupuncture in the coming weeks ... She is responsive to acupressure( which I do at home ) but I would like to know any tips to help her adjust to the needles... Two acupuncturists / vets will be in the room the first time since she is a former feral ....

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sharky,

You're right, I'm not Dr. Jean!

I just wanted to say, that one of the best things you can do for this cat would be to work on socializing her as completely as you can. Feral cats start out fearful and untrusting of humans, and usually they only trust the people who feed and care for them slightly. And if they are living outside, this fear is an important survival mechanism.

If you opt to bring a former outside feral cat in to live, you will want to be sure that you can still monitor her condition, so you do not want her hiding under a bed or in a closet all the time <g>. If you have a local TNR program I'd encourage you to work with them and learn how they socialize cats they decide need to come in. My own group uses the cage taming approach that other groups before us devised, and it has safely and quickly allowed us to continue to care for sanctuaried older cats, new mothers with their kittens, and some young colony cats when there was an adoptive home interested.

It sounds to me as if Sharky is already working on socializing this cat, and needs to get her acupuncture treatment while the socialization process is "in process." I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind us all that getting vet care is just one of the reasons to spend the time to re-acquaint a once-feral indoor cat with domesticated cat behavior.

Also, Sharky, in case you had not considered it, see whether the acupuncturists are interested in doing a house call. This would mean that many fewer differences for the cat between her normal day, and an acupuncture treatment day.

Best,
Linda (who has been away from TCS for too long, again!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by linda_of_pgff

Hi Sharky,

You're right, I'm not Dr. Jean!

I just wanted to say, that one of the best things you can do for this cat would be to work on socializing her as completely as you can. Feral cats start out fearful and untrusting of humans, and usually they only trust the people who feed and care for them slightly. And if they are living outside, this fear is an important survival mechanism.

If you opt to bring a former outside feral cat in to live, you will want to be sure that you can still monitor her condition, so you do not want her hiding under a bed or in a closet all the time <g>. If you have a local TNR program I'd encourage you to work with them and learn how they socialize cats they decide need to come in. My own group uses the cage taming approach that other groups before us devised, and it has safely and quickly allowed us to continue to care for sanctuaried older cats, new mothers with their kittens, and some young colony cats when there was an adoptive home interested.

It sounds to me as if Sharky is already working on socializing this cat, and needs to get her acupuncture treatment while the socialization process is "in process." I just wanted to take the opportunity to remind us all that getting vet care is just one of the reasons to spend the time to re-acquaint a once-feral indoor cat with domesticated cat behavior.

Also, Sharky, in case you had not considered it, see whether the acupuncturists are interested in doing a house call. This would mean that many fewer differences for the cat between her normal day, and an acupuncture treatment day.

Best,
Linda (who has been away from TCS for too long, again!!)
slightly off topic DR Jean please forgive..

Zoey is well behaved after 3.5 yrs with me
.. she was pregnant and the local shelter saw potential for taming her ... just with me she is perfect add in others and she comes with the I am a former feral and you may want to watch out... yes they make housecalls but I have two NEEDY dogs that do not help
... as a plus she her vets office is a house and set up like one... she is fine when I hold her but obviously I cannot do that for accupucture

drjean

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some great points made about feral cats, Linda!

If the vets will do it, a house call would be better than a car ride and a strange place. No matter how cozy and nice it seems to you, Zoey is unlikely to feel the same way about it! Maybe a friend can take your dogs for a walk or distract them in another room while the cat is being treated.

Flower essences would definitely help her adjust to the needles and everything else about the situation. Rescue Remedy, which you can get at most health food stores, would be totally appropriate in this case. I'd start putting it in her food or water now, then give an extra dose the night before, morning of, and before the appointment--and keep it on you in case she needs it at any time during treatment. You can just put a couple of drops in your hand and rub her around the head, ears, or paws, so you won't be getting in the way of the acupuncture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahh thank you ... I have a bottle of that for me and another for the dogs... i will start now...I will ask about a home visit