Activia????

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Activia OK for cats?????
My cat will eat it sometimes.
When I'm eating it at night, she will nuzzle and lick some up.

Kjo22009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not believe it is because it has so many chemicals along with the probiotics. If you look at the ingredients is their sugar? Corn syrup? Maltodextrin (a type of sugar). Cats don’t eat sugar or chemicals in the wild so I believe they shouldn’t be eating it in the home. You can get a good probiotic goats milk at a really good pet supply. Activists isn’t a great product for human consumption either. Good question btw 👍

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give a little bit (no more than a teaspoon) of plain yogurt to your cat occasionally. It's a good source of probiotics. But, I wouldn't give any flavored yogurt that has any additives. Just plain organic yogurt only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has two to three licks.
Not much.
She sees me eating it and wants to try.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Not much.
Like I said, I wouldn’t let her. If you want to give her yogurt you can give her plain unflavored organic yogurt.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not much.
It's still not good for her. It fits in the category of dont panic if she gets some (you dropped the container and she got into it before you got back with a towel for example) but you shouldn't encourage or purposefully do it. It also encourages her to continue begging for food which could lead to even worse "just a lick" situations. It isnt good for her health or behavior to encourage begging for food.

Remember that she is also much smaller so two or three licks would be the same as two or three spoonfuls for you. So the quantity isnt as small as you might think.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat named Boo who ate a teaspoon of activia yogurt everyday of the year and she lived to be 23 years old. I still think about how long and silky her fur was and how as a child we had a game where she would chase me through the entire house till I got under the covers in my bed. Oh I love that girl still!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the little bit of sugar, Boo still had her teeth when she went to heaven.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a cat named Boo who ate a teaspoon of activia yogurt everyday of the year and she lived to be 23 years old. I still think about how long and silky her fur was and how as a child we had a game where she would chase me through the entire house till I got under the covers in my bed. Oh I love that girl still!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the little bit of sugar, Boo still had her teeth when she went to heaven.
Every cat is different. Some cats might be fine with the extra sugar and added ingredients; others will develop diabetes or have tummy problems from it. Also, if you are in Europe the formula might be different in America or Austrailia so it may have more or less sugar and it may have changed from when you fed it.

I am glad Boo did well with it but it still doesn't make it a good option of food or a treat for cats.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good point Kieka. Also giving in to a cat begging for treats is not a good idea. If you give in every time it becomes bad habit and will be hard to break.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I had a grandfather who smoked cigarettes most of his life and lived to 90. I still don’t think it’s a good idea to smoke cigarettes.