Active Cat Sleeps All Day Weeks After Tooth Extraction And Prednisolone

missko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old guy went to the vet on 7/18 (2 weeks ago). He had 2 teeth extracted during a routine cleaning and also had a nasal scope because of sneezing.

Prior to this, he was the most playful, friendly and social cat ever. I'd never seen a cat retrieve until I met him. Now he is much less playful. He ate much better after the dental work.

The vet saw a pretty inflamed nose, so we started giving him 5mg of prednisolone twice a day on 7/31. It was cut to 5mg once a day starting 8/2.

The animal has been completely listless since starting prednisolone and his appetite has diminished tremendously, particularly versus what we saw after dental work. Additionally, he is aloof - no interest in being with us. He just sleeps under the coffee table all day. He is not a hider, he usually lounges on us or on furniture.

Has anyone seen a personality change after dental work or commencing prednisolone?

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old guy went to the vet on 7/18 (2 weeks ago). He had 2 teeth extracted during a routine cleaning and also had a nasal scope because of sneezing.

Prior to this, he was the most playful, friendly and social cat ever. I'd never seen a cat retrieve until I met him. Now he is much less playful. He ate much better after the dental work.

The vet saw a pretty inflamed nose, so we started giving him 5mg of prednisolone twice a day on 7/31. It was cut to 5mg once a day starting 8/2.

The animal has been completely listless since starting prednisolone and his appetite has diminished tremendously, particularly versus what we saw after dental work. Additionally, he is aloof - no interest in being with us. He just sleeps under the coffee table all day. He is not a hider, he usually lounges on us or on furniture.

Has anyone seen a personality change after dental work or commencing prednisolone?
I would definitely speak to the vet about it, to make sure it’s nothing more serious but:
Prednisone for certain people and animals is just the worst! I get SO sick on any kind of steroid, it fees like I’m having a heart attack and can’t breathe etc. He may feel that way too! I hope he feels better soon!
He should be better than when he started, and be back to fetching and having fun soon! :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely speak to the vet about it, to make sure it’s nothing more serious
:yeah: I agree with FlawlessImperfection FlawlessImperfection , definitely contact your vet with your concerns. A few days post-surgery for him to be subdued is expected but two weeks would worry me. Usually prednisolone has the opposite side effect, i.e. increase in appetite. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes:
Please keep us posted on his progress.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. We are taking our big boy to the vet on Monday and hopefully will find out what's behind the personality change.
neely neely You're right! Do you think cats have some examples like us humans where a few feel the opposite affect of a drug?
He could be like some humans are- some of us get super hyper from Benadryl instead of sleepy, and basically the opposite affect of lots of meds. Maybe cats also have weirdos like we do too, haha! :runaround:
I’m just hopeful that’s it’s something easy and not harmful like that, fingers crossed! :crossfingers:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely You're right! Do you think cats have some examples like us humans where a few feel the opposite affect of a drug?
It's hard to say, it's possible the dosage of prednisolone was possibly not correct for his weight or he has a low threshold for it. I think that would be more likely but I'm glad to hear he will be going to the vet on Monday. Hope he feels better soon. :alright: