acting strange

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
My male 2 year old cat is acting strange. First off all, he doesnt do his poop to his litterbox but this is not new. He has been like that for almost one year, he does it infront of his litterbox. He pees into his litterbox though.
This week he started to go to his litterbox like 10-12 times a day! I dont know if this is a coincidence but everytime I go to the bathroom, he goes into his litterbox and acts like he is peeing but I dont know if he acts or really pee. It seems like he is trying to show something but I dont know. We also found that he peed to some other couple places in the house. The litter is just changes and not dirty.
Any idea why does he act like that?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From my experiences with my cats it sounds like it could be UTI (urinary tract infection). They feel like they have to keep on urinating, they try to relieve the feeling any where they can. My two males cats have a history of it. My one cat had Struvite crystals that caused a stone and a partial block in his bladder. He should be seen by a Vet to determine if this is the case.

Good luck.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to see a Vet. When Coco does that I know her problem is back. A Male can block if you do not go to the Vet and die. I lost Frisky from being blocked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply.
How many times should he normally use his toilet for urinating?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just get to a vet - it's a matter of time in this case and they'll be able to answer your questions.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A healthy, well-adjusted cat should not urinate or defecate outside of the litter box. When a healthy cat tries to urinate, it does so. A healthy cat does not squat in the litter box trying to urinate, and a healthy cat will only urinate about 1-3 times per day.

Your cat is not healthy. He is probably in intense pain when trying to urinate, because he probably has a urinary tract infection. Please get him to the vet as soon as possible. As mews2much said, a cat can actually DIE from a urinary tract infection.

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I got my cat, I keep posting in this forum when I have a problem and you guys keep telling me to take him to a vet when the problem is about health. Ofcourse this is the right thing to do but I am from Turkey and veterinary is not as developed as in your countries unfortunately. The number of vets in my city is not less, almost one or two on every street. Interestingly, this competitive market do not improve theirselves. I have taken my cat to 3 or 4 different vets previously (one of them being very expensive) for skin allergies and they all didnt do anything other than suggesting to change the dry food (to some other brand they sell).
Thus, I dont want to take my cat to the vet just hear "change the food to our superb brand" and pay $100 for this. If I knew they could do anything medically, I would take him to the vet immediately. I love my cat as much as you love yours and you can just take yours to a vet if he has a problem however its too difficult to not being able to help your cat although you know he has a problem

I read about urinary tract infection on the internet and the symptom shows like he has urinary tract infection. He uses his toilet far much more than 3 times a day and he urinated outside of his litter box a couple of times. I have also read that Hills c/d food can help his problem so I will try this food first of all. I dont know what else I can try but I definately need more suggestions than taking him to a vet.

Btw, I dont think he is in intense pain when trying to urinate. He is such a spoilt boy, he would cry even in little pain.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your kitty! I've never had to deal with a cat's uti, but I've had them myself, and it sounds like exactly what I do when I have one! It makes me want to pee CONSTANTLY, and 99% of the time, I can't at all, or get a few drops, but I feel like I always have to pee, and if I don't atleast try, I feel like I'm going to pee my pants at any given moment. It really is agonizing if it's left untreated. I put off going to the doctor for it once, and the infection spread to heh...most of my internal organs. I started having HORRIBLE stomach cramps, to the point that I was crying, and almost wanting to die. Since then, I've never put it off.
Please take your kitty to the vet, it's an easy problem to fix.
Best of luck!

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read your last post. I'm really sorry that your vets are so bad. :/
Is there any way you can just request that your vet do a UTI urine test? I mean, if it's available, and they do it, it'll come back positive, and you'll know to ask for antibiotics.
If that doesn't work...I found this site for you.
http://www.nativeremedies.com/petali...remedies.shtml
There should be more like it, if you want to do a google search and read up on it some more.

Nothing is going to work better than antibiotics, but if you can't get those, then a home remedy is probably better than nothing. Hope everything goes well.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, your vet should be able to prescribe antibiotics to kill the bacteria causing the infection. It's true that the first antibiotic doesn't always work, and that culturing (and culturing bacteria from) urine from the bladder can help a vet decide what antibiotic to use; but, most of the time, the first antibiotic works, and vets in Turkey should be able to prescribe antibiotics.

You should also switch to a food that's good for urinary tract infections, but think of this as a strategy to avoid future UTIs, not to get rid of the likely existing infection.

Skin allergies are a tough problem; a UTI is usually a more easily treatable problem.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Enuja is right about the food. Some really good cat foods will include acidophilus in the ingredients list. Acidophilus is proven in preventing uti's.

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. When I buy new food tomorrow I will tell them about the problem and ask for UTI urine test. I hope this problem is something they have dealed before and they can help.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ozadars

Since I got my cat, I keep posting in this forum when I have a problem and you guys keep telling me to take him to a vet when the problem is about health. Ofcourse this is the right thing to do but I am from Turkey and veterinary is not as developed as in your countries unfortunately. The number of vets in my city is not less, almost one or two on every street. Interestingly, this competitive market do not improve theirselves. I have taken my cat to 3 or 4 different vets previously (one of them being very expensive) for skin allergies and they all didnt do anything other than suggesting to change the dry food (to some other brand they sell).
I empathize with your unpleasant situation, but honestly, what are members of this site supposed to do in a situation like this? We cannot physically examine your cat. Moreover, we are not trained and licensed professionals. All we can do is try to provide practical advice based upon the facts that you provide to us. Based upon those facts, it was obvious to the posters that your cat had a problem that required veterinary attention, which is why you were repeatedly advised to go to a vet.

Per the TCS Terms of Use:

Always consult your own veterinarian for advice concerning your cat. In no way is TheCatSite.com engaged in providing veterinary medical services via this site.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
poor kitty.
It does sound like a UTI. I really, really hope you can get him some antibiotics from a good vet. If you go, you should insist on getting a UTI test. I don't understand how a vet could just say "just switch to another food" when your cat is clearly sick. Not blaming you, I just don't get how a vet could be so uninformed, especially when UTI's are fairly common.

Also, your kitty could easily be in a lot of pain. Animals don't always show this pain, they are good at hiding it. But UTI's are REALLY painful, I've had one before as a kid and it hurt so badly. It spread to my kidneys and I got a high fever, I was really sick.

Good luck, I really hope you get him the right care and he feels better soon!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ozadars

Thanks. When I buy new food tomorrow I will tell them about the problem and ask for UTI urine test. I hope this problem is something they have dealed before and they can help.
We have other members on this board who have expressed similar frustrations in other countries. Maybe in the future you can get a good recommendation from a pet store for a vet who will listen to you.
Make sure your cat is getting plenty of water since that helps flush out the bacteria from the bladder. I would also add more wet food because that increases the moisture that he will get daily.

I am going to suggest this book. I have learned a lot from it. It has good advice about preventive care. My vet recommended it to me as he does all of his clients.
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Comp...7854206&sr=8-1

ilovestripey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if hes straining to pee...and going to the litterbox a lot then its a uti and even more so if hes peeing outside of his litterbox...the new food may help and getting more water...LOTS more water in him can sometimes cure the ailment along with the other treatments....although there is a high chance of a recurrance...it is best to get veterinary attention but if this is not possible try the "natural" remedies and they might help...one caution: males can develop a COMPLETE blockage of the urinary tract due to "sand" in the urinary tract and this WILL cause death if not treated by an emergency vet...feel his bladder and if it feels hard and he acts as if it hurts when you touch it...theres a blockage and he needs to be treated ASAP or he will die...until he does some emergency procedures can be done to try to prevent death...i will not ramble on about these here as my message is getting long anyways...just be sure to look out for any type of blood or anything in the urine that he is able to pass...that will give you a definite diagnosis of a uti

cmoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Toby got cystitus (not sure about the spelling) and he kept trying to pee in my slippers, the carpet, all over the place, you could see he was distressed with it. Go for a visit to the vet (try and get a sample of the cats pee and take it with you, when he tries to go for a pee, just hold an old mug under his behind to get a tiny bit of urine), I found that the easiest way of getting it. The vet will check it, give your cat a course of antibiotics (he really does need them) it clears it up well, then the vet will give you the correct food which he will have to stay on. Toby got recurrent attacks of this until we got him long term on the diet.

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The story is, first I took him to his own vet on 3th of August. The vet just gave us some Greek or Russian medicine. After using this medicine everything turned to normal, till this week. On Monday the same things started to happen. However this time he was so much in pain. Obviously, the medicine they give was not a cure but just helped to settle things for a while. Anyways, I took him to a vet in another city with a plane trip. He had blood in his urine. They anesthetize him and emptied his urine bladder. He got antibiotic shots for three days and some diuretic medicine. First he was so much in stress and didnt eat anything but at the day three he started to pee and started eating. Now, he looks very healthy. Nothing abnormal and we well give him antibiotic pills for 12 days. I am glad he is fine and I found a nice vet although he is in another city (and although he tried to sell us ProPlan food
)

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful. When Coco goes off her meds her bladder infections come back or if I take her off the food she is on. It took two months to get rid of her last infection.