Acne and Water fountains....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious for those with a kitty prone to acne on their chin, and the use of water fountains.....

2 of my boys get acne..... since getting the water fountain a few wks ago, they've gotten acne again

I'm thinking that I might have to put the fountain away, but I don't want to.

I'd like to hear from other people who use plastic fountains on acne prone kitties.

Thx.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions. I had wondered about this myself since a couple of my boys are getting small amounts of acne (nothing that can't be handled with cleaning their chins). They all have glass and stainless dishes that get washed in the dishwasher - so I figured it wasn't those.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep. One of our clinic cats get chin acne and we had to retire our DrinkWells. We do however have ceramic decorative fountains that don't give him any problems. I'm curious if frequent cleaning (soap and water every day, bleach every week?) might help though.... Unfortunately bleaching down all of our DrinkWells (we had 4 at the clinic until Simon started getting his issues) each week is rather low on our to do list. Thankfully the ceramic and stoneware fountains don't bother Simon since he refuses to drink from nonmoving water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks....

I'll try cleaning it more often for 2wks and see if it helps. Since I got it, I've been cleaning it every other day, with just soap and water...no bleach. But I'll make it a point to clean it daily, bleach it on the weekends

if it doesn't help, well, I guess we'll do without the fountain then. They are pretty good drinkers anyways, and I bought the fountain because I liked the idea of moving water staying fresher than a bowl left out all day.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a stainless Drinkwell, but it is $$$$.
http://www.vetventures.com/products-fountains-ss360.asp
Thanks for this link....I would not buy a drink fountain because they all are plastic (I don't like to use very much plastic - especially not for my cats food & water dishes). And I always said I wouldn't buy a fountain unless they were stainless steel, glass or ceramic. How much is the S.S. one? I couldn't find a price? Is this the only one you have found that isn't plastic?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully ours never had a problem with acne, because they loved the drinkwells. We had to retire them just because of space in the RV. But I'd think that if you had kitties prone to acne, the plastic could do it. Maybe the problem is the plastic itself?
I guess you'll find out by cleaning more frequently.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pinky is my acne cat and I am able to use a Catit fountain. He licks the water from the dome and that part comes off and cleans very easily. Knock on wood, I've been lucky with it for the last 6 months or so.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents' 2 cats would get the chin acne - it was from using plastic dishes (non-fountain). They had to switch to stainless steel. Haven't had a problem since, but it was the plastic apparently.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denali

Thanks for this link....I would not buy a drink fountain because they all are plastic (I don't like to use very much plastic - especially not for my cats food & water dishes). And I always said I wouldn't buy a fountain unless they were stainless steel, glass or ceramic. How much is the S.S. one? I couldn't find a price? Is this the only one you have found that isn't plastic?
Here is the Petsmart link. I thought I saw it listed on Amazon too.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3771000

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey gets chin/ acne issues if she TOUCHES plastic even my drinking cup or plate

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I have six cats who drink from the drinkwell... and their stainless water bowls ... knock wood - no acne problems. The fountain is the ONLY plastic they eat or drink out of. I use stainless or ceramic otherwise.

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Here is the Petsmart link. I thought I saw it listed on Amazon too.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3771000
Thanks for the link!

We don't have a Petsmart here yet but I know we are getting one in the next couple of months. So, I will definately be looking for the S.S. fountain forsure, thanks again! Plastic is not good for humans or our pets....yuck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been WAITING for that stainless steel fountain to come out, I didn't know it finally had! thanks for the links!

I don't like to use plastic for my cats either.

Jennie has some acne issues. I gave her a flatter dish, a saucer, to eat out of and it (the acne) is slowly getting better.

<edit> the one review in that petsmart link said the fountain rusted after one week. Since it's stainless steel I don't see how that can be, stainless steel does not rust. I wonder if the reviewer has heavily mineraled water, and it stained, rather than rusted.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gailmarie

I have never heard of acne in a cat. Does the acne cause any fur loss, or are there just bumps?
most cat acne looking like little pimples or blackheads , some fur loss is often associated with it

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gailmarie

I have never heard of acne in a cat. Does the acne cause any fur loss, or are there just bumps?
They get it on their chins. It can be from something as minor as a plastic dish, to a food allergy, to a dental problem, or simply genes.

Sometimes it's difficult even to notice it, other times it can be pretty bad, and look like running sores even. (especially if the kitty is having severe periodontal disease)

Jennie's chin showed a few tiny bare patches, some crusty patches, and I could feel some more acne when I scratch her chin, that doesn't show. At first I tried just cleaning her chin with a bit of paper towel dampened with warm water, but after I switched to the flatter dish is when I noticed an improvement.

Bibbs (rb 3/05) once had it very badly, but it cleared up after a dental. (Jennie's teeth are fine)