Ack She Wont Touch Her Canned Anymore!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my girl Allie was introduced to Iams urinary kibble a week ago and since then she does not eat any of her canned food.. Thats 6 different flavers of fancy feast florentine or primavera or purely chicken or purely skipjack tuna...

She always ate half kibble which was royal canin urinary so, I have been dumping untouched canned food every day into the trash...

Sigh!

If I give her fussie cat canned food which I have and she never ate that brand before would she get diarrhea? Any ideas?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried adding a little warm water to the canned food? Or heating the food itself gently?

Can you put her food in strange places, including elevated on a book or small box?

Try finger or spoon feeding the canned, it might get her started.

What about toppers, --unusual things like low sodium canned green beans, carrots, or some of that kibble, or treats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried topping with kibble, shes totally ignores it, normally when i leave the wet food overnight its eaten by morning... Not the last 4 cans unfortunatly

Im going to withhold all canned for a good while and hopefully she rejoices when she gets it again...

She might be tired of all those flavors but im scared to give fussie cat canned if she gets diarrhea

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ok, let us know how things go, --be sure she's drinking water and maybe add some moisture to some of the kibble in a separate dish (don't leave that out for very long due to fast bacteria growth).

Oh, by the way, did you try flat paper plates for the wet?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What if you mix the canned food she is now rejecting with a little bit of the fussie cat canned food? If she likes fussie cat, it might be just enough to get her to eat her 'old' canned food. Plus, it would help to reduce the chance of diarrhea.

Typically, any time you want to change cat food, it is recommended to do it gradually - as I suggested in the paragraph above. This decreases the chances of any digestive issues arising because of a sudden change in food.

You can try that first, and if it doesn't work, try the paper plate suggestion made by Furballsmom Furballsmom . I have no idea why this works but, for some reason, it can encourage a cat to eat food they might not otherwise. Go figure!!