Acepromazine or another sedating med to sedate cat?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Called my vet yest to ask what to do? She said we can give a pill in his food to make him groggy in 1-2 hrs but keep eye on him after he eats so not lose track of him. Also, to use a tiny amount of food such that he gets ALL the capsule ingredients. Anyone know what or how these meds work? Thanks. :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi movinintime!

I think it would be very unusual for a Vet to give you that drug to 'sedate' a cat at home......and especially to instruct that it be given with food!o_O

Personally, I would caution anybody about that kind of arrangement.

Now, using something like Gabapentin....that is customary.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this cat inside or outside? I have used gabapentin, but only on side cats. It would be very dangerous to give something like this to an outside cat. If the cat runs off and is loopy or sedated, it makes him easy prey and he also could easily hurt himself.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Gabapentin and that is exactly how it is used. Pretty normal. What is he being sedated for? Typically a medication like is suited for anxiety or a cat who is travelling and stresses easily, or coming into the vet which most cats hate. I used it when I moved 3 cats across the country to LA by car. 2 needed Gabapentin the whole way while the 3rd did not. One of them was all but vicious even to me, her loving owner and giver of food. But she purred happily and let me pet her the whole trip.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if "sedate" is the correct word, or if we are looking more for "mellow out and relax in a high stress situation".

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am also surprised at ace being offered. It does not actually calm or sedate, but only inhibits the outward signs of fear or anxiety. My assumption is that this is an indoor only cat; you are looking at a nightmare if you use any sedative agents on a cat who is going to stagger off someplace and not be found.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, oops folks I am TOTALLY wrong here. It is NOT Acepromazine. It IS Gabapentin. But it is going to be used on the feral as he will NOT go into trap ever again it seems. have tried all things & he circles trap in mornings but smells the food (even tried KFC & oily fish aka sardines) but he is too smart t go in again.

So, called vet & asked if it is poss to sedate to bring him in? Vet Tech said, yes we can give a capsule & you need watch him out back after eating a tiny amount of food one morning to follow him til he lays down in hr or so. Then you can sneak up on him w/ a towel & grab & put him in carrier to take to vet.

Does this sound like an ok idea or am I making his health worse (he is FiV pos. & has genetic SDMA test marker for poss early kidney dis.) so unsure if using another med is ok? He needs get to vet to finish his part 2 of his neuter begun in Dec. Long story.

This time tho, when we trap him, we'll have vet hold him a few days til we pick him up on way to airport & fly out of town to move back east. This sounds complex but I need iron out details asap.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for a ferral ????????????

Sorry, but, that "Vet Tech" would be best advised to only advise on indoor cat issues. 'Sneak up on him with a towel'??? Is she cracked ?

As shadowsrescue shadowsrescue said
It would be very dangerous to give something like this to an outside cat. If the cat runs off and is loopy or sedated, it makes him easy prey and he also could easily hurt himself.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No way would I use this on a cat that is feral and living outside. Way too dangerous. Have you looked into getting a drop trap?

I had to retrap 3 feral cats. I used medium sized dog carriers. I started feeding them in the carriers and got them used to them.

Retrapping feral cats can be really hard. You have to think outside the box and get very creative.

Please please do not give him sedation medicine if he is outside. Is there any way to lure him into your house?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this should only be done, and ok to be done, if this cat is indoors. Feral or not, if he is already indoors then ok, if he is outside then DO NOT give him sedation meds.