Acepromazine for human allergies to cat

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Morning-

In line at the low cost clinic today I was talking to someone and she mentioned drops to add to a cat's water to help with allergies.

I looked it up, and it assume she meant Acepromazine.

She said she had a lot of success.

My husband doesn't think his allergies are any more severe because of the cat. Seasonal allergies are awful now. But I worry, a lot.

We bought an air cleaner, are vacuuming a lot and grooming her.

Anyone use this? I know the dose is pretty low, but giving my cat a low dose of tranquilizer daily concerns me.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Out of context, I would think she was saying adding acepromazine to the cat's water would help the CAT's allergies.  How would tranquilizing the cat help the husband's allergies? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"The oral tranquilizer Acepromazine can be given at ultra-low doses in the cat’s food and provides relief for a great many allergy sufferers. While a single small study on the use of Acepromazine did not find statistically significant results, in practice, about 50% of people report a complete cessation of symptoms, 25% report that symptoms are improved, and 25% report no change. It takes 2-4 weeks to see results."

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/allergic-to-cats/

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I had never heard of this until this morning.

Another note here
Several years ago someone came up with the idea of trying it in a homeopathic form to treat people who have allergies to their pets. The acepromazine is prepared in such a way as to extremely dilute it. This very diluted form is placed on a pet’s food one or more times daily. If it works, the allergic person stops having symptoms when in the pet’s presence. Does it really work? I can say a definite YES after having used it for many years. Does it always work? Unfortunately not. In my experience I would say that most (80%) cases in which I’ve prescribed it have been successfully resolved. In many of these cases the pet, usually a cat, was going to be given away because the owner’s allergies were so bad. When it works, it literally can save a pet’s life.

http://www.petcarenaturally.com/ask-dr-shawn/allergies-to-cats.php

A couple articles say it changes the chemical make up of the saliva.

These are some directions I found "Allergy Remedy
Linda East, DVM
Crush one 5 mg acepromazine tablet
Add 30 ml (1 ounce) of water
Store in an amber glass bottle in refrigerator
Add 6 drops of mixture to cat's food daily

Acepromazine is an animal tranquilizer, available only by prescription from a veterinarian. The amount given for allergies is such a small dosage that there are no tranquilizing effects, but a chemical change does take place in the cat's saliva (which is what many people react to). About 75 percent of those using this formula report at least some improvement, and about half say their allergies improve dramatically.

Contact your veterinarian, if you would like to try this remedy. Your cat must be a patient of a veterinarian before he or she can prescribe any medication. "
http://www.howardcountycats.org/allergic-to-cats.html

For the record, I would much rather give the mild tranquilizer to my husband, but it doesn't work that way ;)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to find if anyone had brought it up before, but the only reference was of use as a tranquilizer.

I will probably try a few other things before I medicate the cat, but it was interesting.

sockie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this was posted months ago, but I was googling this same subject and found this thread, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents!

A good friend of mine is a vet tech and mentioned this same thing to me a while ago. She described it as "drops you can put into your pet's water than may make their dander bother your allergies less". She said they gave them to people at her vet clinic regularly. 

My mind was blown because I'd never heard of such of thing. I have asthma and am allergic to cats--nothing super serious. Itchy eyes, stuffy nose, sometimes my asthma acts up--but I've had cats growing up. I just took over-the-counter allergy meds and dealt with it.

My boyfriend and I just adopted a cat and I'm a little more serious about tackling my allergies this time. I was thinking about allergy shots for myself, but I'm investigating this whole acepromazine thing. It definitely sounds like something some pet owners might be morally against--I was really surprised when I learned what it technically was. I'll probably give it a try after talking about it some more with my friend and her coworkers at the clinic. 

I'll try to remember to check back in if we do give it a try! 

mysticdragon72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give anything like that to my cats since it's actually a horse sedative and is actually not meant for cats at all.  I was warned to not let any cats near the shot I had to give to my filly as it's deadly to cats so that alone would make me steer clear of it.  Especially if it's for something as simple as allergies in humans.  I'd much rather just take a pill or shot regularly than risk the life of any of my pets.

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this yet. Keep in mind it's extremely diluted. I've been researching and some people swear by it, vets included.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Acepromazine is valium. I don't understand why doping a cat would help an owner's allergies. If you dilute it, then you're playing around with valium. Valium is what used to be called "Mother's Little Helper"in the 1960's when quite a few women became addicted to it.

If your husband has allergies, then I would suggest having the cat bathed regularly, or at last running a slightly moist cloth over the cat's fur once a day. Other than that, vacuuming, etc., can help.

Homeopathy is wishful thinking.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone tried this yet. Keep in mind it's extremely diluted. I've been researching and some people swear by it, vets included.
That is the strangest thing I've heard...........I will use acepromazine for a feral cat who needs to be sedated for a vet visit.

It knocks them out, well not completely, but jeez, you can actually bathe a feral cat who would otherwise rip your face off even attempting.

So idk what this is about but sounds nuts to me when you can simply take benadryl or other.

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I thought so myself. What about allerpet. It's a water based solution you massage into their fur once a week and it's supposed to cut down on dander.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious how this works, having just been diagnosed with Athsma.

Might this stuff keep cats from grooming? That would affect dander but woukdnt be good for the cat.

I have AllerpetC and broke it out today for the first time in nearly a year, and it did help, much more than water. Just dabbed it on a paper towel and ran it over Robins fur.

Last edited:

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read the possible side effects before giving this drug to your pets

Acepromazine may result in these side effects:
  • Increased seizures in epileptics
  • Exposure of your pet’s "third eyelid"
  • Low blood pressure
  • Change in respiratory rate
  • Heart failure
  • Aggression (especially in cats)
  • Constipation
  • Seizures
  • Convulsions
  • Vomiting
  • Shock
  • * Death
Also may have adverse reaction when combined with other meds

Acepromazine may react with these drugs:
  • Neomycin (and other aminoglycoside antibiotics)
  • Anesthesia
  • Antacids
  • Anticholinergics
  • Antidiarrheal drugs
  • Phenobarbital (and other barbituate drugs)
  • Diazepam (and other central nervous system depressants)
  • Clomipramine (and other tricyclin antidepressants)
  • Atropine sulfate
  • Epinephrine
  • Phenylpropanolamine
  • Phenytoin sodium
  • Propranolol
  • Quinidine
http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/acepromazine

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like I said, my vet will give it to me for a feral who needs to be vetted, and I have never had any issues at all with this med.

But I also wouldn't consider it to be used on a regular basis either. It's a one time thing basically.

A vet familiar with the cat won't give it to you for them if it will interact with issues or other meds the cat is on either.

Googling can be scary since it will give you a list like this and make people think it is dangerous, but don't give you the odds of anything like this happening either.

Could be one in a million cases for that matter.

ravenclaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hadn't heard of Allerpet before, but I may try it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Icutech89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been a licensed veterinary technician for 30 years. Those of you who are talking about sedating the cat have no idea what your talking about. We have been using this acepromazine remedy for years. It’s such a low amount it doesn’t cause any sedative side effects. Listen to the veterinarian who posted here. It really works.