Acclimating Terra The Cat To My Roommate

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the first seven years of her life, it was just me an Terra in a studio apartment. Then, due to losing much of my eyesight, I moved in with a roommate who owns Riggs the Dog. Terra and Riggs may not be best friends, but Terra tolerates him, and Riggs Don’t Care (c). She hasn’t been around my roommate much, and stilll occasionally hissed at him when he tries to pet her. Terra is a rather shy cat, but does venture downstairs if I’m there, and into my roommate’s room if Riggs is not there. Is there a healthy way to acclimate Terra to my roommate? I just want Terra to feel at home in her new home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hardest thing for a dog-person to get used to is that cats are wired very differently than dogs. He's got to hang back and let her evaluate him and determine he is not a threat. Your roommate should keep a pack of treats by his chair and try to entice her down. The first few times he might have to toss the treat to her, but she should warm up to him.

Your roommate should also tell everyone that he is allergic to cats - that seems to work wonders. ;)