Acclimating Mature Semi-ferals to home

Linda V.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello folks, I’m feeling very sad & discouraged. Back in February (almost nine months ago) I adopted 3 bonded mature semi-ferals (all are around 9 yrs or older). I have adopted & cared for many kitties over the years but have never had such an experience. I also have a mature kitty, very sweet petite friendly. But, this has not been a good situation for my poor girl. 🥺 The history I was provided: Two were rescued from the same area on separate days possibly from different colonies. They bonded very quickly (male, missing one eye going blind in the other & female). The third was rescued elsewhere & fostered in same home with the other two ~ all became attached but the original 2 are very bonded. The rescuer said she didn’t release the male due to his vulnerability of course & being so immediately bonded with the female she remained (I now suspect he might have been a house at as some point but she was definitely born feral). The second female was evaluated as being possibly semi-feral/former house cat (I now suspect former house cat at some point). Keeping it as brief as possible, all 3 have a wonderful kitty heaven set-up in the basement. At first, understandably, they would not come out from under the couch & I spent 3 month (literally) on my belly, speaking with them, attempting to play, offering treats…eventually they’d all take treats from my hand. 🎉 Soon after that the bonded duo would show up at the top of the basement stairs & eventually started exploring. Then the second female did the same but not as often (more timid but she’s the one who now let’s me sit near her while she eats & will get kind of close to me). Over the past few months they’ve all clearly made this their home & love lounging in many places ~ even my bed when I’m not in it (some happiness!!). There have been many challenges along this road but there are 2 main issues now. They STILL do not let me touch them & bolt if I get too close. I fear if something happens I won’t be able to get them to a vet/hospital. One attempt made with the blind male was horrible & broke the little trust that had been established. In addition to this, the bonded duo (led by the female who is a tough one) bully my sweet petite Cleo. She has been “confined” to the living room couch…I even had to move her litter box up on a side table because she was too afraid to get down. (I have 5 boxes around the house). I’m sorry for the long post but figured some details were best included. I’m so discouraged ~ I was told these kitties enjoyed being petted & brushed & just needed a little time acclimating but this is awful. I’ve homed & loved living with many mature/senior kitties (rescuing the ones longest at the shelter & taking in pets for people moving or from parents who’ve passed away) ~ this is heartbreaking for me. I’m relieved that this trio is safe & clearly happy (they play & romp & love treats & lounge all over) but I only wish they’d trust me & let me pet them. Any & all advise & feedback is welcome. Thank you. 🙏

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, don't be discouraged, it takes a LONG time to earn a cat's trust, and moving them and then having another cat present started them back to square one. Take one day at a time, move slowly, DO NOT approach them, they will feel hunted. always let them approach you if they want. Leave treats when you leave the area they are in. They will associate treats with you quickly and may start to approach you first. Always talk in a low calm voice, read out loud from your phone while sitting in the same room as them. Females, in my opinion are notorious for being more skittish and are much harder to tame and make friends with other cats. Your cat will eventually stand up for herself or accept that she is not dominant. They are trying to establish a hierarchy. As long as there are no deep bites everything is normal. Females are hissy, bossy and always want to make their territory bigger. Make sure she has high places to escape to, my Chrissy had a bed on top the fridge for over a year. Never let company approach them. One thing at a time. Never stare into their eyes, that is a threat to a cat. It really sounds like you have made progress, theses things just take a long time. You might get some calming treats for your girl too, and the aggressor. do not worry about taking them anywhere right now. If they are inside cats the chances of them catching anything are very low. vaccinations last a lot longer then what they say, years. You need to build up their trust right now, and they need to feel safe. Bless you for going through all this, please keep us posted on how you are all doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linda V.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so very much for your reply & encouragement. I’m just so surprised by the length of time ~ in the past newcomers either settled right in or took a very short time to acclimate. Thank you for all your tips. I have the pheromone plug-ins & I do think they help. I chat with them often but will try the reading tip ~ maybe longer periods of time hearing my voice will help. The second female started peeing outside the litter box a few months ago…so that is another issue, I’m hoping the change in behavior is not a health issue. She seems fine & healthy, drinks & eats plenty. They are all indoor cats & thankfully have shown no desire the “escape”. Thank you again ~ I’ll keep the faith! 🤞🙏😻

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you contain the two females, or all three of them, back in the basement now and then, on a scheduled basis, so your baby learns the schedule and has a chance to relax? Stress is very hard on cats, and she's obviously having difficulty. Looking at it from her perspective, she's lost 98% of her territory, even your bed.

When the other two females have their time in the basement, love on your Cleo, a lot. I'm actually wondering if the litterbox missing would decrease if that cat were to stay in the basement area more, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Regarding the blind cat, I think that you need to be sure to always "announce" yourself. Some people tap on the floor three times before approaching their blind cats, and of course talk to him so he knows where you are at all times.

Linda V.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Change the litter in that box. 99% of the time they dont like the litter or the box. Especially if they go near it.
Change the litter in that box. 99% of the time they dont like the litter or the box. Especially if they go near it.
Ok, that’s interesting, Thanks, I’ll try what you’ve suggested.. She used the box without incident for months without issues. Strange for her to change her mind.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you have a chance to look at my suggestions above? I'd be so interested in whether implementation is helpful :vibes:

Linda V.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you contain the two females, or all three of them, back in the basement now and then, on a scheduled basis, so your baby learns the schedule and has a chance to relax? Stress is very hard on cats, and she's obviously having difficulty. Looking at it from her perspective, she's lost 98% of her territory, even your bed.

When the other two females have their time in the basement, love on your Cleo, a lot. I'm actually wondering if the litterbox missing would decrease if that cat were to stay in the basement area more, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Regarding the blind cat, I think that you need to be sure to always "announce" yourself. Some people tap on the floor three times before approaching their blind cats, and of course talk to him so he knows where you are at all times.
Did you have a chance to look at my suggestions above? I'd be so interested in whether implementation is helpful :vibes:
Hi there, thank you so much for taking time to send such thoughtful suggestions. From the outset I’ve had pheromone plug-ins in most rooms. Luckily, Cleo (who I spend loads of time with regularly) was never keen on going upstairs. She always preferred her little domain but did spend more time walking around in the others rooms on the main floor (house is small). She seems happy with her personal litter box arrangement now (up high on a side table next to the couch). My blind boy is extremely sweet & I do always start chatting with him/them before getting close to wherever he/they are. I think he is very curious about Cleo & maybe just wants to get to know her ~ he’ll sit near her on the floor right by the couch, even while she hisses at him. I think he sees shadows & movement because he will look her way (& at me). All in all they’ve truly settled in & seem very happy but I’m still their issue. They will not “risk” me touching them although they all eat treats from my hand & the gal who was mostly in the basement (she’s been coming up regularly these days…even up to the bedroom!) will come out when I bring her breakfast & dinner & she’s been letting me sit very close while she eats. Happy Days! I’d feel terrible confining them to the basement again…it’s nice there but dark. Like all cats, they love lounging during the day in sunshine. I’m definitely going to get another litter brand for downstairs & hopefully that will end that issue. I feel so much better & very hopeful after the replies & suggestion & reading through other threads. I’ve never experienced such a very long acclimation time & I felt something was terribly wrong. You are wonderful & so generous. I will heed much of the advice that’s been shared. 😻❤🙏

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’d feel terrible confining them to the basement again…it’s nice there but dark.
They aren't the only feline(s) in this equation, and I suggested this with the thought of a couple of hours every couple of days or so, for Cleo's health and wellbeing. Her world has been diminished to the couch which isn't fair to her at all, and additionally the stress she's under is hard on her physically.

a wonderful kitty heaven set-up in the basement.
There are Daylight lightbulbs available, it's easy to brighten it up.

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the suggestion above I believe that my cats having some down time to be alone and decompress helped them get acclimated. As far as your concern about not being able to handle your cats if needed to bring them to the vet, I have one who I cannot touch at all but I leave her carrier out all the time so she hangs out in there and naps.. its a safe space for her so luckily any time I've had to bring her to the vet she'll go right in on her own

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started using Cat Attact litter when one of my cats was peeing outside the litter box. It worked like a miracle and I have continued to use it ever since. It is relatively expensive, but I decided it was worth the splurge!

I have a cat (semi-feral, indoors now for several years) who will allow me to pet her at certain times (during treats and a quick pet before meals!) but I cannot pick her up. I leave a large carrier out all the time and we have "treat time" after dinner where I give her a few treats on the floor, then toss a treat into the carrier. It took many weeks for her to actually go into the carrier for the treats and stay there to eat them, but eventually she did and I would toss them further and further into the carrier. One day, I put the door on the carrier and safely propped it open. She didn't even notice! Although our usual treat time was after dinner, I tried luring her to the carrier with treats at other times and she happily cooperated. On the day of the vet appointment, it was super easy to get her into the carrier for a treat and to quickly close the door. She did freak out and I was prepared with a towel to cover the carrier. She calmed down after a few minutes and ended up being a perfect angel at the vets, probably just very scared. I hope we don't need to go the vet for another year, but I am continuing to give her treats in the carrier just in case....

Linda V.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the suggestion above I believe that my cats having some down time to be alone and decompress helped them get acclimated. As far as your concern about not being able to handle your cats if needed to bring them to the vet, I have one who I cannot touch at all but I leave her carrier out all the time so she hangs out in there and naps.. its a safe space for her so luckily any time I've had to bring her to the vet she'll go right in on her own
Thank you for the input! This past week all 3 have been in the basement together. I’ve kept the door closed & spend time with them each day. I was hesitant to do this, it felt as though we’d be reversing progress made over the past 8 months but they seem content & my other kitty seems more relaxed. I also changed the litter for the one with the issues & that worked immediately! The basement is very nicely set-up, not very large but spacious with lots of cat stuff, toys, beds, cat tree, a comfy couch, etc. Wondering now if they should remain there until they let me touch them. It took a while for all 3 to be down there together. If I keep the door open giving them access to the rest of the house, there’s no way to know when they’ll all be downstairs again at the same time. Thanks so much for all your help!