Acclimating kitten 6mo (update)

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6 Months ago we brought home a new female kitten, our 5th cat. Did the usual acclimation/introductions procedures, went well with 3 of the cats the next youngest cat, 3y/o female, kept chasing and bitting/swatting the new kitten.

We set up a litter box and water dish in our smallest bedroom, everytime the 3y/o attacks she gets a time out in that room. within a month of giving timeouts, two or three times a night the 3y/o will chase down the kitten, bite or swat once... then the 3y/o runs into the small bedroom without me doing or saying anything, gives herself a time out.

Kitten is a lot bigger now, attacks are less frequent less violent, but the 3y/o still keeps the kitten cornered or stands right outside the kittens hiding spots. They sleep near each other, and they can eat next to each other. Very very slow progress.

ps, original post: Advice, adult cat chasing new kitten? | TheCatSite

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, six months is not that long for some cats, so you are progressing fairly well!

And that said, I'm going to be laughing about your 3/yo giving herself timeouts for quite a while now!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So your 3 year old is starting to understand when she need a break. That's great. I did laugh about it.

How's the kitten doing? Is she acting timid or still confident? When cornered does she poke her feet at the other cat? (You can encourage her to do so if you think 3yr old is trying to figure out how to play).

Little progresses are great. I do note that we have to watch our cats of that age from getting too rough.