Accidentally Sprayed Lysol On Wood Furniture. Any Fixes?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was doing some spring cleaning today and wasn't paying attention. I accidentally grabbed the can of lysol instead of furniture polish and now the top of my wooden filing cabinet looks white and chalky. Anyone have a quick fix? I looked online but all I could find was to rub mayo mixed with cigarette ashes on it which sounds gross.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have Beeswax?
I was just thinking, but wouldn't do it without checking it out first, but maybe some sort of oil. Like olive oil or coconut oil. I used to oil my table, but it was special wood oil. Maybe any oil would work???

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just found this

Domestic Bliss Squared shows how rubbing on a 1/2 cup of vinegar mixed with 1/2 cup of olive oil can make a wood surface almost like new again (even when furniture polish and orange oil failed before). ... Better than using a walnut, since it's easier to apply and you likely already have olive oil and vinegar on hand.Sep 8, 2015

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't stand the suspense...........how well - or not - did it work ?
:lol: Sorry to keep you in suspense white shadow white shadow
Well, it sort of worked. It DEFINITELY looks better than when I first posted about it. The all-over chalkiness is gone but there are still areas that look faded and streaky. I think the Lysol just ate off the finish in those spots.
I'm going to look up that Restore a Finish that Mother Dragon Mother Dragon mentioned.
If all else fails, a couple of cats should cover it up nicely! They probably would like a new perch anyway!;)
Thanks everybody!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it sort of worked. It DEFINITELY looks better than when I first posted about it. The all-over chalkiness is gone but there are still areas that look faded and streaky. I think the Lysol just ate off the finish in those spots.
I'm going to look up that Restore a Finish that Mother Dragon Mother Dragon mentioned.
If all else fails, a couple of cats should cover it up nicely! They probably would like a new perch anyway!;)
Thanks everybody!
You are probably going to have to restain the top of it. I've used Murphy's stain before and it has fixed it. That happened to me when I used a disinfectant spray, not lysol but it just took the oil based finish right off.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody!
Sorry it didn't work. I honestly didn't know if it would. I'll stick with linseed or beeswax for my table.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it didn't work. I honestly didn't know if it would. I'll stick with linseed or beeswax for my table.
I really appreciated the suggestion and it does look sooo much better than before. I will definitely recommend this technique to anyone who has a similar issue.
I can't believe how fast it happened. Literally as soon as I started spraying the lysol, I smelled it and knew I had grabbed the wrong can. I wiped it off immediately and it took about 10 seconds to get a wet cloth to wipe it down. The damage happened that fast. Hopefully I will learn to pay attention in the future.
On a side note, I looked up Feed and Wax on Amazon. The before and after photos posted in the reviews are AMAZING. I ordered it and am going to try it not only on my filing cabinet, but on some kitchen cabinets as well. We'll see how that goes.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband used the Restore a Finish on our 40 year old wood cabinets. They had water stains and all kinds of splotches and missing finish. They looked like new when he was done. He used the Feed and Wax for a lasting shine. That was several years ago and they still look great.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon Does restore a finish have a strong odor like paint thinner or similar? Just wondering if it is something best applied outside, because this filing cabinet is big and HEAVY.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon Does restore a finish have a strong odor like paint thinner or similar? Just wondering if it is something best applied outside, because this filing cabinet is big and HEAVY.
No, the odor isn't strong at all. Robert didn't even use extra ventilation in the kitchen and I don't remember smelling it. No, I'm sure I didn't because he did it as a surprise. I walked into the kitchen and had new cabinets - or so I thought. There's no practical way to block the kitchen off and the cabinets are part of the end wall, so I'm sure the furkids helped and it didn't bother them, either.

We had a badly weathered stained wood front door back then and he used it on that, too. Wow! We didn't need to buy a new door after all. The Feed and Wax that topped it protected it for quite a few years.

Do let me know how they work for you.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the odor isn't strong at all. Robert didn't even use extra ventilation in the kitchen and I don't remember smelling it. No, I'm sure I didn't because he did it as a surprise. I walked into the kitchen and had new cabinets - or so I thought. There's no practical way to block the kitchen off and the cabinets are part of the end wall, so I'm sure the furkids helped and it didn't bother them, either.

We had a badly weathered stained wood front door back then and he used it on that, too. Wow! We didn't need to buy a new door after all. The Feed and Wax that topped it protected it for quite a few years.

Do let me know how they work for you.
Thank you so much for that. I'll definitely post after trying them out.:D