Accidentally bred my female with an HCM male

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat recently had a litter, and I discovered that the male had HCM and our breeding mentor lied about his health. I should’ve been more careful. But what’s done is done. What can I do? And what are the chances of the kittens also getting it?

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to have tests done to determine if the kittens have it? I think it has to do with the cat's DNA. Is the mother cat a breed that is genetically predisposed with this condition?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the new owners know and have them get treatment started early if the kittens ever develop symptoms. I had a cat that lived for many years with this on medication and he died of something else. There is also a chance the kittens will never get the condition too. with one mutated gene from one parent, there is a 50/50 chance. I would definitely have the kittens spayed and neutered to stop the progression further down the line. if the kittens are registered, turn that breeder in for not letting this be known. don't let him profit from future heartache.....

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can keep the kittens yourself or rehome them at a low price with the understanding that new owners need to be fully informed and prepared with a vet cardiologist, obviously in either case the kittens should be fixed so there's no chance of them reproducing also. I would also look into reporting the breeding mentor to the cat registry and definitely not using their advice or cats again. I'm not sure there is any way to predict the chances of the kittens being affected but I would certainly treat them as though they are and have them regularly checked so treatment can be more effective if they are.