Accessory to help drooling cat?

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had/has Feline Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma and had to get his entire tongue removed (it had turned into a tumor). Without a tongue, he is unable to control or swallow his saliva, so it just constantly drips out (or hangs with mucus). There is no procedure or medicine that can fix this - it'll be a fact of life.

Does anyone know of some kind of device that he can wear that will... i don't know, catch it, or like a bib, soak it up so it doesn't hang down and drool? Obviously regular food bibs for babies isn't an option, so I'm hoping a pet company may have already developed something for constantly drooling animals? I would very much appreciate some help. I love my kitty and will accept and clean up his excessive drooling, but sometimes when he lies down, he'll just eventually soak his chin and neck in his own drool. Must be so uncomfortable...

Thanks for any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Funny that you mentioned the tail trends, I had just bought one of those yesterday, although it hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure how it'll work.

I have also tried a bandanna/handkerchief or typical pet bib (designed for a 'little' drool) but none of those are very effective, they don't actually absorb liquid so it just ends up dripping off it - or even worse, under it, so the saliva in between the bib and the neck. I looked into getting a soft recovery cone too, but didn't see any that's made to absorb material, so yeah I might have to find a way to add something to it (find a seamstress or something - I'm not good with needles).

Thanks for the advice!

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the link, it looks nice. Unfortunately it doesn't really catch the drool under his mouth, but it looks like it'd work for the next at least (maybe). It certainly gives me some ideas though. Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am curious, without a tongue, how does he drink? I had a cat with this that someone had thrown to the streets, and he soaked his blankets which had to be washed daily. I would think some kind of bandana would work to an extent, at least it would keep his neck dry, maybe made of some kind of terry cloth, or towel so it would be more absorbent. You are an angel to care for him, he is blessed to have you in his life. May God watch over you both......

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every 4 hours or so I have to give him food through a feeding tube that has been implanted into his stomach. It includes water. So he doesn't "drink" anymore basically. I got some cat dribble bibs that works a bit but they always rotate around his neck so minutes later it'll be behind his ears instead of under his chin. I also found some super absorbent wash clothes that I'm gonna tie around his neck like a handkerchief and see if that helps. Anywho, thanks for your kind words.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may take some sewing skills...but my thought is a slip on turtle neck dicky, with a ruffle around the top, made out of an absorbent material. He may absolutely hate it but if it's not too tight, he may tolerate it.
The ruffle would help catch the chin drool, especially while laying down, without making him uncomfortable, and the turtle neck would keep his neck dry. If it's uniform all the way around, it does't matter if it gets turned around.

Don't laugh too hard, but here's a quick drawing of what I mean. Drawing with a finger on a laptop pad in Paint is not very accurate....
drool catcher.png

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow yeah that's impressive, and looks to be a great idea! Now if only I knew someone who could sew, lol. I'll definitely use that pictures as a reference when looking for products though, or maybe someday eventually finding someone who could make one. Thanks!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S Spixe - What if you were to go to a second hand store or walmart or whatever, and buy a cheap child's cotton stretch turtle neck.
like this...
Leveret - Leveret Solid Turtleneck 100% Cotton (5 Toddler, Black) - Walmart.com

Cut the neck off for your "base", and slip that on to start. It would tell you if he absolutely hates it or not. If you leave it unfolded, it would fan out under his chin. Then from there, if kitty tolerates his dicky, you could try to use some of the left over material and just hand sew on a 1-2 inch the ruffle around the top that would extend past his mouth a bit.. All you have to do is pleat it as you stitch it. It may not be pretty, but it could give you an idea of if something like that would work.
If you know anyone who is making "covid masks" (the pleated "accordion" style), I'm sure they would have the skills to do this for you.

Oh and I just had another thought. To make sure it stays on, you could sew on two straps on the bottom, or just cut the turtle neck accordingly, so that you have something to go around his shoulder/armpits, just to keep it from bunching up.
I hope you know what I'm saying...we don't need another embarrassing drawing! lol!!!!

Spixe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh a turtle neck, that's an amazing idea. Unfortunately, I doubt I'd ever find one that would fit him. Because of his tumor on the tongue, he didn't eat well for a week before he was diagnosed, and then another week or two before it was removed. Before that, he was already a very skinny cat, so now he's basically just a frame of bones and skin with some hair here and there. But he is SKINNY. His neck is as thick as about 3 fingers, or maybe like the thickness of a D battery or roll of quarters. That's like...what.. maybe a 1/3 of the size of a toddlers neck? But it's a good idea, it's another one maybe I can find someone to custom make for me. Thanks!