Access crawl space?

Bwink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I began caring for a family of ferals 9 years ago and there are two left now, half brothers Moe and Barely, 8 years old.
Until recently they had access to my neighbor’s garage and under another neighbor’s house in bad storms (we’re in Florida ) or other threats. With new owners that changed so I’m considering opening acces under my house which was closed up for years. I have mixed feelings about it due to the other critters around— possums, rats, raccoons, etc.
if you have a similar situation and can offer insight I would appreciate it so much! Thanks 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bwink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
You probably don't want to open that crawl space, for the reason you mentioned. What if instead you used something to give them shelter above ground?

Community Cat Shelter Options Gallery
The trouble is that their instinct is to get under something in heavy thunder or fireworks. I have some options under tarps but in Florida storms that’s not enough.
They do get under the shed but again, in serious multi day rain, it will flood.
Thanks for your input, though. I’ve been debating this myself for the exact reason of unwanted animals getting into walls.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hard no to opening crawl space. It's an open invite to any critter who likes to hide in dark spaces. Which does include rats and mice who could then find access into your house. But TBH my biggest reason for a no is if some critter ends up dying in the crawl space. Had it happen, 10 out of 10 don't recommend. My crawl space is now only open for entry and exit of humans who need to access and completely blocked at all other times (including blocking in the humans while working under there to be extra secure). Minorly paranoid about it but it was bad. I am not going through that nightmare experience again, nope.

They do make standing outdoor cat houses that are on platforms. Would get them above water line when it's raining hard while also providing shelter. If it's the heavy thing, can you do a shed for cats? Smallish garden shed with a cat door on it and straw on the floor might work well. Could even put a few boxes inside for that snug space feel.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Can someone build an enclosure that has the parameters of a crawl space or appear to the cats to be one? The cats may be flexible enough to start to use it, especially if food or treats are involved. I have had feral cats move to a new location for food and shelter and it can be done incrementally.

My neighbor had to hire a licensed, humane animal relocation company to get the skunks out from under her house. Construction crew left her house with all vents, screens, and window well opening without any protection.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah don't open the crawlspace or you will get mice and chipmunks and other vermin in there.

Cats aren't stupid, build a doghouse like structure for them if you want to give them shelter.

Very simple structure like this would work wonderful, I would just make the door a bit smaller, you could put bedding and kibbles inside too for them.
RYOBI NATION - DIY Dog House

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our feral gave birth in a crawl space to our storage building that we had blocked off. (With small plastic netting, until we could get some more tin. The old tin rotted out). I guess the Mom cat used her teeth to open it up. She was determined to give birth there. She even kicked out the other cats that were using it.

I, too, have been worried about shelter for them. Currently, we opened up our barn. I think they're safest in there, from predators/rain/hot sun, and their food won't likely be infested with ants for a change. Their water will stay cool as well. I just don't particularly want them in there all the time because there's no way I can trap them in there with the crate. (When the time comes that I can do that in coordination with the shelter).

But yes... I agree with everyone else. Allowing them to use the crawl space also allows other animals to use it. They would destroy your home, die within the walls, and some predators could corner and attack the cats in a confined space like that.

So long as they have some sort of hidey-hole (especially a little high up), they should be happy and safer. I've been wanting to do that here, but everyone else is against it.