Ac broke down should i worry about the cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Miami. The downstairs isn't too hot during the day. The ac hasn't worked for two days so there's an off smell. ☹ we can't afford to fix the ac. My nieces boyfriend has been trying with no luck. Should I buy the cats a small cheap fan? It's the upstairs that's really hot. Now that I'm home im airing out the house by opening windows.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are ok in the house the cats should be ok. Maybe place more water sources around your house. Be careful with open windows/screens if your windows are usually closed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not here during the day. My niece told me it isn't too bad downstairs. But still warm.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do have fans in my house for the animals, but running them when no one is home might be unsafe.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have read that fans don't help cats. They help us because we perspire and the fans evaporate the sweat, but cats don't perspire. I think that's what was said, anyway.
Could you get a small window AC? This time of year they are often on clearance.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have read that fans don't help cats. They help us because we perspire and the fans evaporate the sweat, but cats don't perspire. I think that's what was said, anyway.
Could you get a small window AC? This time of year they are often on clearance.
cant spend the money now. saving to move out soon.
a friend is looking at the ac. hopefully he can help.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take this for what it's worth... Some place on the internet just a few days ago I read an article that said cats are most comfortable at a temperature of about 10*to 12* warmer than us humans. I know for a fact they love to lay around very close our fireplace when ever we "spark it up". I believe your cats will stand the warm spell much better than you will.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your friend can fix it. I live in Florida too and it's miserable without ac.
yep, feels like a sauna =(

Take this for what it's worth... Some place on the internet just a few days ago I read an article that said cats are most comfortable at a temperature of about 10*to 12* warmer than us humans. I know for a fact they love to lay around very close our fireplace when ever we "spark it up". I believe your cats will stand the warm spell much better than you will.
lol that makes me feel better =)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our AC went out about 4 years ago. In mid August (of course). I'm in Florida too and it was miserable. DD opened all the windows (I was at work), put fans in the windows and then bailed to a friend's house. :mad2:

When I got home, it was 92 degrees in the house and the cats were panting. I put up a window AC unit ( I will never be without one- I actually have two. You never know when you'll need it). As soon as it was set up, I put a chair in front of it and within seconds, Sophie was on that chair, sprawled out with her belly in the air. Lily stayed in the room but Sophie refused to budge from that chair. I left the window unit running until the big AC unit was fixed the next day.

I feel for you terestrife terestrife . I hope you get it fixed soon.

Adelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to the vets in China, a/c is REALLY bad for cats and dogs. They used to really sternly warn me to not use the a/c, especially after anything like a spay or neuter. Obviously, I think they're all idiots - a/c is not bad for animals, otherwise all the cats and dogs in the American south would be dead by now! However, it probably goes both ways - not having a/c probably isn't that bad for animals either. If these vets are determined that a/c is bad for animals and make it a practice to warn pet owners about it, then that means the Chinese people let their animals live mostly without it, which means that animals can survive in the heat. Honestly, where I lived in China, people rarely used a/c, or at least didn't use it to the extent we do in America. They'd only use it in whatever room they were in and turn it off when they left the room. And on top of that, they'd only cool it down to about 80 degrees. And the city I lived in was HOT, usually during the summer climbing above 100 degrees every single day for 1-2 months in a row.

If you think about it, all of us, whether cats or humans, survived for thousands of years with no a/c. Those of us (humans) who use it regularly are used to it now and aren't as good at regulating our body temperature as those who don't use it (that's both my experience and scientifically proven), and while I don't know if that goes for cats too, unless your apartment is getting up over 100 degrees, I think they'll be OK. I've worked, both in the USA and China, in indoor temperatures approaching 100 and while it was stinking miserable, I didn't die. Just make sure they have plenty of water available.