absess or something worse? (vibes please)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you ended up with such a rotten doctor.
I know he has to cover his butt, but he didn't have to be rude. File a complaint about his behavior with the hospital. Nothing will ever happen unless people speak up.

At least you have antibiotics to take -though given his behavior, I'm not quite sure if that will be the most effective for the source of the infection you have so please get in to see a dentist soon. Since you're taking so much, try eating some yogurt.
If you don't have a regular dentist already, make sure to let them know this is an emergency and can't wait 2-3 months until they have a opening for a new patient.

For getting this all straightened out and fixed soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i cant even afford the meds, its 89 dollars for one week prescrip. the pharmasist told me to go back to the ER and make them change that prescrip. i just dont knwo what to do, i need to call in to work but i am already in tears and they are just gonna yell at me. i just want this all to be over.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh oh...
Any of those programs to help with prescriptions take a while to get passed - maybe something to think about for future med needs? In know we have some support for this.. I'm not sure if you could get SoonerCare... probably not, but look that up online or go by your local social security/DHS office.
I noticed that your location says reservation, do you have any Native American blood? I'm not sure if Oklahoma offers anything, but I know other states/tribes have reduced cost or free clinics.

If I'm not mistaken, those type of antibiotics will be pricer... I'm not sure if a simple penicillin type will work as well (anyone know?) - though those tend to be cheaper sometimes or at least have a generic. Maybe if you can get in to see a family doctor soon and get samples?

Maybe it will help, have you tried swishing with diluted peroxide? Try that at least 2-3 times a day. (If you're worried about it tasting icky, it doesn't)

Here you go, this lists the programs. http://www.ohca.state.ok.us/individu...?id=94&menu=42

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time I was given a scrip for a antiobiotic that was way to expensive the pharmacist actually called my doctor for me. Perhaps they could do that and save you a trip? I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. You should never mess with an infection- I know of a woman who died because her UTI went septic! I hope you start to feel better soon.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

i cant even afford the meds, its 89 dollars for one week prescrip. the pharmasist told me to go back to the ER and make them change that prescrip. i just dont knwo what to do, i need to call in to work but i am already in tears and they are just gonna yell at me. i just want this all to be over.
Originally Posted by esrgirl

The last time I was given a scrip for a antiobiotic that was way to expensive the pharmacist actually called my doctor for me. Perhaps they could do that and save you a trip? I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. You should never mess with an infection- I know of a woman who died because her UTI went septic! I hope you start to feel better soon.
As I said I didn't think they'd do anything other than pain meds at the ER.

Here's a good tip. Go to Wal-Mart for your antibiotics. In fact I go there for all scripts.

I had a broken knee from an accident. I got a prescription for 240 tramadol (non-narcotic pain killers). I went to walgreens to fill it. it was 200.00. I had one refil. had it moved to wal-mart and it was 16.00. no exageration. Wal-mart has the best prices of any pharmacy I've ever seen now that they dropped their prices, and they just dropped a BUNCH more meds to 4.00 again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I had a broken knee from an accident. I got a prescription for 240 tramadol (non-narcotic pain killers).
Tramadol is a narcotic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol I can't find the link in my bookmarks now (too much mess
) but I believe it is listed as stronger than lortab and even darvocet - which makes sense as neither did anything for severe pain for me, while tramadol does.

I'm not sure which town she lives in - there may not be a nearby Walmart. I would prefer to have my prescriptions there as I know I'm being overcharged by $30-50 for generic midodrine, but don't have the choice.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's interesting. They must have re-classified tramadol! I use to ask for it over heavy narcs (oxycontin etc) because it doesn't make me feel drunk or disoriented. It must just be a lower dose.

This does make sense here:

Unlike most other opioids, Tramadol is not considered a controlled substance in many countries (the U.S. and Australia, among others), and is available with a normal prescription. Tramadol is also available over-the-counter without prescription in a few countries.[3] Tramadol is sometimes mistakenly classified as a non-opioid analgesic, because its abuse liability is lower than that of other opioids and because it has multiple mechanisms of action (including, but not limited to mu-opioid activity).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Exactly. You're not the only person here that was confused on it's exact classification, the only reason I knew is because I'm super paranoid about meds and side effects.

It does tend to settle well with a lot of people, though some say it does absolutely nothing for pain. I get slightly hyper and chatty on it, but no drunk feeling (the 50mg, btw).

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that you got in to see a doctor and got some antibiotics, but I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Now would be a good time to contact a dentist to get an appointment, while the antibiotics are at work in your system. The dentist won't be able to do any work on your teeth till the infection clears up.

I hope you get to feeling better soon, and get the proper care ASAP.

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried having the pharmisist call the dr. but she refused, said that particular ER dr. dont accept phonecalls from them. Anyway i went back to the ER and explained my situation. the receptionist basically laughed when i said i couldnt afford the first prescription. But the nurse was really nice and got it all taken care of. They put me on 2000mg of Cephalexin a day for 2 weeks. I already feel a bit better, at least i dont feel like i am dying now. I usually always go to wal-mart for my prescrips, my regular dr here in town is a low income based clinic and they try to make sure that the meds they prescribe are on the 4 dollar list or as close as possible to it. I am pretty lucky all my bloodpressure meds only cost me 21 a month that way. But the 89 dollar for one week of meds thing had me so upset, there is just no way i could have afforded that. Plus i was already upset and to the point where i felt like if i layed down i just wouldnt get up. I dozed off twice on the way up there and woke up in the wrong lane of traffic. I was reading on my paperwork from the dr. he listed "toothache" as the reason and my diagnosis. I DO NOT HAVE A FREAKIN TOOTHACHE! I am sick, my teeth dont hurt, the fever blisters i now have do hurt, but thats it. Its like no one will listen to me so on top of being sick i am fustrated. My boss was decent about me calling in, she just whined that three other people called in the same time i did....her fault for hiring a bunch of kids, anyway thats another story. But i figure i will find out tomorrow what she said behind my back.