Abscess top of tail hind end

Sarahvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today peeka had to get a plastic tube inserted above tail near hind end vet didn't put tape on it or give them meds for being stressed or pain. My poor cat is super stressed. I just want him to feel better

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What is this tube for? Is it a catheter? Based on location it's hard to tell exactly what kind of tube it is but a feeding tube should be inserted into the neck not the rump.

Could you give more details on the tube and it's function?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tube is a drainage tube. About a week ago had a run in With fox luckily didn't get bit but did get a scratch.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats tend to get abscesses rather easily from bites and seats. Poor kitty. An abscess can be very uncomfortable but draining the pus will help a lot! To calm kitty you can try things like a video of cats purring, cat heartbeats or even the music found online specifically for calming cats. You may have to search through a few to find what your cat prefers but all these things can help. My kitties like the purring and heartbeat ones but a couple like some of the cat sleep music. If kitty will lay against you so your heartbeat can be felt, that can work too. Lots of love, soft and soothing talk from you will also help. Watch that tube because kitty will want to get it out. Not sure if taping it would even help it stay in place. Hopefully it drains quickly and thoroughly. Is kitty on antibiotics? The abscess may drain on its own and once the pus is out, healing should begin. Sending lots of purrs to you and kitty! :alright::purr:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahvt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Yes Kitty had a shot of antibiotics while at vet. Seems to be a little bit calmer today. Luckily I have great neighbors who had a Kitty rescue drops all natural stress relief. Poor boy though he is a awsome cat super lovey and so nice. I have raised him he was the runt bottle feed had to rub his belly etc.. he's almost 5 now so he is my baby!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep him indoors until the abscess heals? I also would consider building an enclosure so that he doesn't get injured by wildlife again.