About surprises in FB

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not only the first time it has happened to me but is it normal to see that your grown up children are suddenly far away( like overseas) without telling you? And you only find out when they post it in Facebook? It kinda hurts...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez, you mean moved? That seems like a pretty major thing to find out on social media. 
 Maybe they're just on a vacation? My daughter is 17, but once she's in college I'm sure I'll find out all kinds of things about her over facebook. 

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
OMG. I would be devasted if I found out something like that on FB. They should have told you before posting. I often learn about my grown daughters' lives on FB so I know FB is a place to announce things, but that's taking it too far. Hugs to you [emoji]128149[/emoji].

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think finding out things on FB is gonna be the norm one of these days. Especially deaths. That's always rough and has happened many times now.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah.  That would hurt.  I find out all sorts of things about my kids on FB.  Like that my younger son had wrecked his motorcycle...again.  And that my first husband (their father) had died.  And these people have my phone number.  It twinges a bit...although I can see the son's point...he wanted to avoid a major conversation over a relatively minor accident.

The elder one is all over the world, and sends me post cards.  Most of them just say, Love, Drew.  But at least it is sorta personal.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is the pits.  I know society as a whole has changed a lot in my lifetime, I am 59, but not all of it is good.  Families don't stay in the same geographical area so extended family isn't what it used to be and social media has made things impersonal.  I think social media is also playing a part in making society a more hostile place.  People will say things when they are typing on a computer that they would never say to someone in person.  I hear people brag about how many 'friends' they have on facebook.  I just don't get calling someone that you have never met, that you only know as a computer persona, a 'friend'.  Someone can be whoever they want to be on the computer.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I hear people brag about how many 'friends' they have on facebook.  I just don't get calling someone that you have never met, that you only know as a computer persona, a 'friend'.  Someone can be whoever they want to be on the computer.
I so agree with you on that.  I do have actual friends on facebook, some that I know in person, and some that I have been communicating with for nearly 20 years via computer...and of those, I feel comfortable saying that they have shown the same "face" over time...a lot of time.  I prefer Twitter's terminology...you have "followers" rather than "friends."  A bit more accurate.  However, I don't tweet.  It just seems...no one can possibly be that interested in my minute to minute life.

And you know, I was thinking, Yayi, although I know you were hurt, I was present during a conversation between a friend and her daughter that went like this:  MOM: "Why didn't you tell me about that?"  DAUGHTER: "Mamma, I did!  I posted it right on FaceBook!"  Her daughter really didn't get it at all.  In her mind, she told her mom.  There's something wrong in that, but there it is.