Abnormal pregnant foster t nipples. Basicly, 4 lack teats, has anyone seen this before? I'm an experienced cat foster, but haven't seen this before.🤔

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is a bit strange. When are her kittens due? Do you think some of her seemingly non-productive mammaries may start to produce after she gives birth?

If she has a large litter you may end up needing to supplement otherwise.

C cat foster

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to agree.... With a little luck, these will get going after delivery.
Otherwise, be prepared to supplement feeding; and or let them feed in batches. Half on, half off...

It shouldnt be much trouble for you whom are experienced fosterer. In this, the momma and her kittens have luck. :)

But someone of the teats non productive isnt that rare... The unusual here is she has four potentially non working, and these are down...
Normally, the non working are the highest up, whom anyways arent as popular the these on belly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is a bit strange. When are her kittens due? Do you think some of her seemingly non-productive mammaries may start to produce after she gives birth?

If she has a large litter you may end up needing to supplement otherwise.

C cat foster
She's in the middle of delivering her litter now. She has 3 so far, with more definitely on the way. I'm one of the bottle feeder fosters already, so I have suppies. This is just so unusual. Thanks for your reply! I'll try to send a pic.
20230324_115016.jpg
20230324_115004.jpg
20230324_114930.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is mom done yet, or taking a break? Let us know how many she has. Her belly still looks very large in the photos. Are the kittens latching successfully?

cat foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otherwise, be prepared to supplement feeding; and or let them feed in batches. Half on, half off...

It shouldnt be much trouble for you whom are experienced fosterer. In this, the momma and her kittens have luck. :)

But someone of the teats non productive isnt that rare... The unusual here is she has four potentially non working, and these are down...
Normally, the non working are the highest up, whom anyways arent as popular the these on belly.
Yes, true. This is just so strange. She's now up to I've given
Is mom done yet, or taking a break? Let us know how many she has. Her belly still looks very large in the photos. Are the kittens latching successfully?
She's had 5 so far. The 3 smallest are having quite a bit of trouble latching. I've gone ahead and given them each a formula feeding. They're all doing well with latching onto the mini miracle nipples at least, thankfully. The nonfunctional nipples have swollen with milk apparently, but nothing poking out at all. The skin there is smooth so I don't think they're inverted, there's just...nothing. 😕

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s very strange. Have you sent the photos to a vet for an opinion? It can’t hurt. It’s as though the nipple almost doesn’t exist. First time I’ve ever seen it also.

It’s good the 3 smallest took the miracle nipples. You’ll likely need to continue feeding them until they are strong enough to latch.

Hopefully 5 kittens is it!

cat foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's in the middle of delivering her litter now. She has 3 so far, with more definitely on the way. I'm one of the bottle feeder fosters already, so I have suppies. This is just so unusual. Thanks for your reply! I'll try to send a pic. View attachment 446398View attachment 446399View attachment 446400
It’s very strange. Have you sent the photos to a vet for an opinion? It can’t hurt. It’s as though the nipple almost doesn’t exist. First time I’ve ever seen it also.

It’s good the 3 smallest took the miracle nipples. You’ll likely need to continue feeding them until they are strong enough to latch.

Hopefully 5 kittens is it!

cat foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I showed my foster coordinator, who has never seen it before either. They all go through our shelter clinic upon intake, so I'm assuming the vet saw her, but I'm not sure. No one from the clinic ever said anything to me about it so I asked my foster coordinator. I'm the one who trimmed all the fur off of her belly weeks ago looking for functional nipples.😂My foster coordinator only said she hopes she doesn't have a big litter. I think 5 may be the final number.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really curious about this. Did you ever chat to your shelter vet about it? How are mom and kittens doing now?

We had a cat at our shelter who had a nipple bitten off by a kitten. I don't remember what it looked like when it was fully healed though. Maybe that's what happened here, with a previous litter?

cat foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really curious about this. Did you ever chat to your shelter vet about it? How are mom and kittens doing now?

We had a cat at our shelter who had a nipple bitten off by a kitten. I don't remember what it looked like when it was fully healed though. Maybe that's what happened here, with a previous litter?
I think this was her 1st litter as she's only 8 months old. There are 4 like that then 2 tiny ones and 2 regular ones. But we have way bigger problems than the nipple thing. The day after the kittens were born, two of them were peeing blood! I remembered some research I did about health issues in kittens and I knew exactly what it was...FNI!!! Feline Neonatal Isoerythrolysis or incompatible blood type groups between mom and kittens. Serious stuff! The shelter said I can take the to the animal hospital right then to see if that's what it was. It was. The mom is B bloodtype and her kittens, A. One died when being examined and one died while just getting home from the hospital so I have 3 girls left. One will lose the tip of her tail from the condition but otherwise they're all good now. I spoke to 3 vets about her nipples but none have seen that. I'm exhaused from all the feedings. 🥱

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With 3 she should manage, having 4 working nipples... OR you must handfeed anyway??

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so sorry! Good thing you took quick action. Well done!!