Abby Urinates When Visiting Vet - How Can I Reassure Her?

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted Abby from Furry Friends Rescue 18 months ago. She's now 4 years old & a wonderful, wonderful, happy cat. Always happy. She loves humans (other cats, not so much). I sing to her a little rhyme - Abby Dabby the happy tabby from Cincinnati - because she's so good natured.

But 6 weeks ago, during a routine nail trim at the vet, Abby urinated in her cat carrier. That was the 1st time - after many trips to the vet which she didn't urinate & were uneventful. I know why she urinated - there was a very hurt & angry cat who would howl & growl whenever a vet tech or vet walked by. The cat was in the back & we were in the front waiting room, we could really hear the cat out front. Poor cat - and poor Abby.

So now she associates either the cat carrier or the vet's office with that loud, angry cat - and she gets so scared she loses bladder control. Poor Abby!

How can I help reassure her? Any ideas? She has a soft cushion to lay on, so I try to keep her comfortable in the carrier. Maybe some Comfort Zone spray or Thunder Ease calming spray?

She was fine going to the vet until recently.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Maybe some Comfort Zone spray or Thunder Ease calming spray?
Oh, poor Abby! Max used to lose control of his bladder on the vet's table. I'd try those or the Feliway spray. You might also use puppy pads instead of a cushion in her carrier (Costco has a great deal on them) and mist those with the calming spray before putting her in there. That way if she does pee, you can just throw it away. Take an extra so you can put a fresh one in for the trip home. It might also help to cover her carrier with a towel.

Lily doesn't pee in her carrier or at the vet, but she's very angry and growly. I take her brush and gently brush the sides of her face while she's being examined. It seems to help relax her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can place a puppy training pad in the carrier on top of the cushion to absorb any messes.

Feliway or other similar product may be helpful. You can also ask the vet about a mild sedative to give before an appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks - I'll try the puppy pads & spraying it with Thunder Ease Calming Spray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Abby! Max used to lose control of his bladder on the vet's table. I'd try those or the Feliway spray. You might also use puppy pads instead of a cushion in her carrier (Costco has a great deal on them) and mist those with the calming spray before putting her in there. That way if she does pee, you can just throw it away. Take an extra so you can put a fresh one in for the trip home. It might also help to cover her carrier with a towel.

Lily doesn't pee in her carrier or at the vet, but she's very angry and growly. I take her brush and gently brush the sides of her face while she's being examined. It seems to help relax her.
Good suggestions - thank you :)