Abandoned Kittens - Sick

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know if the diarrhea continues. The kitten may need worming or other meds.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would dilute the solution that you have to a 50/50 dilution. The recipe for kitten rehydration at www.kitten-rescue.com (our own TCS member Hissy's website) is 1 cup cooled boiled water, 1 tsp sugar, a small pinch salt, a small pinch baking soda; this is the same proportions as the World Health Organization's recipe for rehydration/electrolyte replacement. Apple is safe for cats but depending on the amount of pectin in the solution, can actually cause diarrhea to be worse.
And although they don't need a bottle, they do get emotional benefits from nursing, such as bonding with humans; cats and other mammals who don't have their need to suckle satisfied when tiny, often develop unwanted sucking habits (wool-sucking, paw chewing, fence chewing aka "cribbing")

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
And although they don't need a bottle, they do get emotional benefits from nursing, such as bonding with humans; cats and other mammals who don't have their need to suckle satisfied when tiny, often develop unwanted sucking habits (wool-sucking, paw chewing, fence chewing aka "cribbing")
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got looks when I started letting my MARES decide when to wean. I have often harped on the need for skin to skin contact with kittens and puppies and many other mammals and proper nurturing for orphan foals.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Also nature knows when it's time to wean little hard though when you don't have a mother. From what I've heard once the teeth come in it's time to stop. Teeth can rip the nipple off the bottle and it can cause a choking hazard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used one of the recipes i found online and gave Casper and her brothers some with a syringe;
Thank you everyone!!
Checked out the poop chart, Casper's poop is a 6 and the others are around 5;
I already gave them a deworming pill, i need to give them another one after two weeks( the vet told me to divide the pill in 8 since they are so small)

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Besides feeding and making sure they are in good shape, i am also petting, hugging, and holding them close to me;
They love sleeping on me :)
Bubbles is still a little hissy when i come close to him, but when he sees his brothers coming to me he comes too.
Casper is the only one that purred for me!!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Also nature knows when it's time to wean little hard though when you don't have a mother. From what I've heard once the teeth come in it's time to stop. Teeth can rip the nipple off the bottle and it can cause a choking hazard.
I went though a lot of nipples. I finally cut the tips off when we were using KMR second stage. Only Frog wanted to keep her baba though. Once Toad got the idea of eating out of a dish she refused. I think we all have that little button that's pushed when something is no longer productive or good for our babies.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remind me again how old they are and exactly what you're feeding.
They are around 6-7 weeks and i am feeding them royal canin kitten wet food and royal canin mom and baby dry food( i think this is how its called).
I also gave them some royal canin mom and baby instinctive

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good choice on the food! And for the "babas", I use the FourPaws nursers with real rubber nipples - they are sturdier. You do have to be careful about them biting off the nipples - I've had it happen a few times (no problems, they got passed out easily) but there is always that one "off" time waiting to happen. You got them in the nick of time - they will make wonderful pets.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good food. I was thinking they were getting goats milk for some reason. The diarrhea is most likely worms, but look around the area you are keeping them, and unplug any electronic devices. I know this sounds weird, and it's a long story. Just trust me.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I went though a lot of nipples. I finally cut the tips off when we were using KMR second stage. Only Frog wanted to keep her baba though. Once Toad got the idea of eating out of a dish she refused. I think we all have that little button that's pushed when something is no longer productive or good for our babies.
Mother cats love and care for their babies , hug them , caress them but have zero tolerance when they are naughty. Humans tend not to want to let go and nurturing can descend into coddling. There is the balance between nurturing and creating a monster.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am using the bottle you get with the babycat milk from royal canin and some syringes when needed, but they mostly eat solid food

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good food. I was thinking they were getting goats milk for some reason. The diarrhea is most likely worms, but look around the area you are keeping them, and unplug any electronic devices. I know this sounds weird, and it's a long story. Just trust me.
I don't see what electronics have to do with anything.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no kind of electronic device on their level, there is a tv in the room and it is plugged somewhere they will never reach so it's fine

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 4 weeks of diarrhea that could not be explained. Tried everything. Different food, eliminating one food at a time, everything. Diarrhea would not clear up. They had been wormed, amoxicillan, Albon. Then I remembered an electronic device plugged in the wall not 1' from where they were kept. I unplugged it and within a day 1/2 poop was solid and has been since. Put them back on all the food they were getting before and still solid poops. It obviously was giving a sound that I could not hear, but they could and giving them just enough stress to cause the diarrhea.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a coincidence but I'm not In your house so I can't tell. I do know some devices make a low pitched hum I can hear but nobody else can.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could plug it back up and see it the diarrhea returns, but, I will not do that to the kittens. After 4 weeks, and this was the thing that worked, I will just believe that's what is was.

Edit: Btw, it was one of those ultrasonic pest controllers, so I know it makes a sound. Just didn't think about it since it was basically part of the decor.