Abandoned Kitten

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hit and run... This is exactly why my guys aren't allowed out without me holding the leash. That and the nasty wildlife around here.

A fox or raccoon got into our neighbours hen house and tore apart one of the hens. It was like a war field in there.

We also have coyotes and wolves but they tend to stay in the forest for the most part.
It sounds as a very interesting eventful life. Where is this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug was about 4 - 5 weeks old when I found her, she is now around 15 - 16 weeks old.

Looking at the first photos I took of her led me to see if I could capture the changes....

Though she looks different, June Bug has the same personality: sweet, happy, curious and loving

The cute kitten features have given way to adult traits....

'Too much harness, not enough kitten' has become 'Fits perfect'

My wife Deb is more in love with her than ever

Learning to walk on a leash..............

Having a kitten about has caused a reevaluation of some of my feelings on the wildness of cats. I know they are predators, I know that some, like our Bengal Makena, require time outdoors in order to feel fulfilled and content. Yet other cats are quite content to remain indoors. All of the cats I have had before already had this preference in place before I met them. June Bug was little enough to have not formed a preference.

Our Bengal Lilia has never been outside and is terrified of the outdoors - this has always struck me as a bit odd. While cats are highly adaptable - it seems to me that if possible, they should at least be familiar with their natural habitat.

Since we have the means, we thought it fair to let June Bug know and understand the outside world. Till now she has been outside regularly and she always stayed quite close. As she matures I suspect she will want to wander further: we have formally begun leash training.

June Bug has been intermittently wearing a harness outside so she would be familiar with it. She is just now at an age when it seems like she would be able to grasp the idea of a leash.

A little instruction from mum along the way

People often say that a cat who walks on a leash is "just like a dog." Other than the leash itself, I see few similarities. A cat on a leash is still a cat. This means a meandering course, a slow and quiet pace, and lots of investigation. Since this is generally how I proceed through the woods, I get along fine with a cat. I can't stand walking a dog.

Lets see how fast mum can go in those sandals!

June Bug is doing well on a leash. She clearly enjoys the walk and the time spent with us. Going to keep it to a every other week or so treat.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
June Bug was about 4 - 5 weeks old when I found her, she is now around 15 - 16 weeks old.

Looking at the first photos I took of her led me to see if I could capture the changes....

Though she looks different, June Bug has the same personality: sweet, happy, curious and loving

The cute kitten features have given way to adult traits....

'Too much harness, not enough kitten' has become 'Fits perfect'

My wife Deb is more in love with her than ever

Learning to walk on a leash..............

Having a kitten about has caused a reevaluation of some of my feelings on the wildness of cats. I know they are predators, I know that some, like our Bengal Makena, require time outdoors in order to feel fulfilled and content. Yet other cats are quite content to remain indoors. All of the cats I have had before already had this preference in place before I met them. June Bug was little enough to have not formed a preference.

Our Bengal Lilia has never been outside and is terrified of the outdoors - this has always struck me as a bit odd. While cats are highly adaptable - it seems to me that if possible, they should at least be familiar with their natural habitat.

Since we have the means, we thought it fair to let June Bug know and understand the outside world. Till now she has been outside regularly and she always stayed quite close. As she matures I suspect she will want to wander further: we have formally begun leash training.

June Bug has been intermittently wearing a harness outside so she would be familiar with it. She is just now at an age were it seems like she would be able to grasp the idea of a leash.

A little instruction from mum along the way

People often say that a cat who walks on a leash is "just like a dog." Other than the leash itself, I see few similarities. A cat on a leash is still a cat. This means a meandering course, a slow and quiet pace, and lots of investigation. Since this is generally how I proceed through the woods, I get along fine with a cat. I can't stand walking a dog.

Lets see how fast mum can go in those sandals!

June Bug is doing well on a leash. She clearly enjoys the walk and the time spent with us. Going to keep it to a every other week or so treat.

Wow! They grow up so fast, don't they? June Bug has gone from an adorable little fluff ball to an elegant, athletic young cat. She still does have quite a bit of kittenhood, though! :lovecat2:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! They grow up so fast, don't they? June Bug has gone from an adorable little fluff ball to an elegant, athletic young cat. She still does have quite a bit of kittenhood, though! :lovecat2:
Too fast! She is still little and she still does kitten stuff, but she was only about a pound in those first pics, now she is more the four pounds!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Really seems to depend on the individual though whether or not they retain their juvenile look. I compare Indy now to her kitten photo at the rescue and really she still has alot of the same features except she is bigger and has a super long tail. Her tail is as long as her body is. She can fold it back flat against her back and touch her nose with the tip.

She never developed the narrow eyes and long muzzle though. She even has retained her lynx tips.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Also glad to hear your girl has taken to the leash, it's too dangerous for cats to wander unattended, even in back areas without cars. You get your own set of dangers there wolves, coyotes, fox, raccoons and even some owls will not hesitate to snatch up a cat.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PLAY!

Under Makena's watchful eye..

GOT IT!

June Bug's audition for lead ballerina?

Makena is worn out from just watching.
We are thoroughly entertained by June Bug's non-stop antics.

June Bug is doing great!